Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - why a 1911
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Shooting
 The 1911
 why a 1911
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Jim Higginbotham

USA
9751 Posts

Posted - December 07 2018 :  1:14:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BatteryOaksBilly

quote:
Originally posted by Jim Higginbotham

Billy,

I sort of missed that comment until Little Bill highlighted it.

Yes sir, I've actually known quite a few people who could "out shoot" several autos when fired in the ransom rest.

The challenge seems to be that the main thing that makes an auto accurate is how the barrel consistently locks up into the slide (there can be some things in the frame that affect that).

The sights are on the slide (with exceptions for frame mounted optics or a couple of .22 target pistols from the past). So if the slide does not mate to the frame perfectly (and few do) then the rest, which holds the frame, is not as accurate as a really accurate shooter.

Just Ramblin'

Jim

Jim, I'm sorry I didn't make myself clear. I too have known people who could outshoot the old RR. But, I have known only 2 that could out shoot what the gun was capable of out of the box. Most folks can't get out the difference in accuracy a quality 1911 can give right from the box.

Yes Sir, I'd agree.

In fact when I asked Jeff Cooper what level of shooting it took to make "Master" he said: "A master shot is one that can shoot up to his gun." - there is a lot of thinking in that simple statement but I do assume he meant a quality gun

Jim H.

Get the Weaponcraft Journal on Amazon: Print or Kindle!
Go to Top of Page

BatteryOaksBilly

USA
196 Posts

Posted - December 10 2018 :  10:30:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Billy,

Yes sir, I've actually known quite a few people who could "out shoot" several autos when fired in the ransom rest.

The challenge seems to be that the main thing that makes an auto accurate is how the barrel consistently locks up into the slide (there can be some things in the frame that affect that).

The sights are on the slide (with exceptions for frame mounted optics or a couple of .22 target pistols from the past). So if the slide does not mate to the frame perfectly (and few do) then the rest, which holds the frame, is not as accurate as a really accurate shooter.

Just Ramblin'

Jim

Jim, I'm sorry I didn't make myself clear. I too have known people who could outshoot the old RR. But, I have known only 2 that could out shoot what the gun was capable of out of the box. Most folks can't get out the difference in accuracy a quality 1911 can give right from the box.

Yes Sir, I'd agree.

In fact when I asked Jeff Cooper what level of shooting it took to make "Master" he said: "A master shot is one that can shoot up to his gun." - there is a lot of thinking in that simple statement but I do assume he meant a quality gun

Jim H.

Jim, I will remember that until I turn my toes up. Thanks for sharing that.

Billy Bruton..Carry every step..Shoot every day!
Go to Top of Page

BatteryOaksBilly

USA
196 Posts

Posted - December 10 2018 :  10:37:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Billy,

Just Ramblin'

Jim

Yes Sir, I'd agree.

Jim H.

Jim, I will remember that until I turn my toes up. Thanks for sharing that.

Billy Bruton..Carry every step..Shoot every day!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.39seconds. Snitz Forums 2000