Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - Deja Vu?
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Other
 Hoot & Shoot
 Deja Vu?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
6031 Posts

Posted - August 21 2021 :  11:32:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I saw a headline--didn't read the article--claiming that some of our military 'leaders' are asking other countries to stop sending in their Special Forces to rescue their citizens, because it makes us look bad. I'd believe that. Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
If pro-gunners are as murderous as anti-gunners claim, why are there so many anti-gunners still running their mouths?
Go to Top of Page

fiasconva
Average Member

USA
306 Posts

Posted - August 21 2021 :  3:36:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Remember how the MSM was gleefully reporting how Trump was such an embarrassment to this country and how our allies had such disrespect and animosity toward him? Have you noticed ANYTHING they've reported about what those same allies of think of Biden now?

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson

Edited by - fiasconva on August 21 2021 3:36:50 PM
Go to Top of Page

Frogfoot

USA
919 Posts

Posted - August 22 2021 :  04:17:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Strangely enough, the Daily Mail has been quite critical of Biden, but it's a day late, dollar short kind of thing, voicing the same obvious, in-your-face sort of concerns regarding his fitness to be President that reasonable people have suspected for quite a while. They sure didn't hold back on heaping ridicule and scorn on Donald Trump for virtually the whole time he was president. The former British Prime Minister Tony Blair even wrote a commentary about the whole Afghanistan debacle. Maybe I'm wrong, but it in reading it, he almost sounded conservative, writing things that conservatives have understood all along about the threats we face from the Taliban, ISIS, Al Qaeda and others like them.

We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give. - Sir Winston Churchill
Go to Top of Page

jle3030
Advanced Member

USA
5764 Posts

Posted - August 22 2021 :  08:09:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are we going to lose more Americans in the withdrawal than we have lost in the past 20 years of occupation?

I'm getting that a lot of the Americans trapped over there are Afghanis with dual citizenship. As opposed to 'American' Americans who are there in various commercial, government, or charitable activities. Will there eventually (convenience, necessity, or rationalization) be a distinction drawn between the two on the basis of national origin?

What happens if/when we send outnumbered troops outside the wire on armed rescue missions? That airport could potentially turn into an American Dien Bien Phu.

Jeff

jle3030
Go to Top of Page

Frogfoot

USA
919 Posts

Posted - August 22 2021 :  6:05:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I worked at Kandahar Airfield in 2010-2011 and we were occasionally attacked by the Taliban, usually with indirect fire (rockets/mortars) although there had been ground assaults before and after I was there. The whole time I was there, it never once occurred to me that my own government could pull up the stakes and leave me hanging out in the breeze like those poor people trapped in Afghanistan now. Unless some genius figures out how to pull a rabbit out of a hat, I can see a lot more casualties coming out of this nightmare. Are we going to have to repeat what happened when we went in the first time back in 2001, smash the Taliban, then re-evacuate the way it should have been done? Madness.

We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give. - Sir Winston Churchill
Go to Top of Page

jle3030
Advanced Member

USA
5764 Posts

Posted - August 23 2021 :  09:18:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This just in: Taliban say they "will not extend" the August 31st deadline for all all troops to be out of the Kabul airport. And that "no country has approached them" on extending that date. So Biden's arbitrary closure date, picked mainly for "positive optics" is rapidly becoming a line in the sand.

What happens if our mission there is incomplete when our welcome wears out next week? (And it won't be.) There's the very real threat that the Taliban could start shooting down planes and raining fire on our bottled up troops. Or Americans left in country could become declared hostages. But the Taliban are very keen on getting ahold of the (9.5?) Billion dollars of Afghan government funds currently frozen in Western banks. I would bet on some tense saber rattling brinksmanship, "mostly peacefully" settled, after vast amounts of money changes hands.

Unresolved loose ends would include an unknown number of Americans who will remain unaccounted for. Think Vietnam POW/MIAs.

Jeff

jle3030

Edited by - jle3030 on August 23 2021 09:49:25 AM
Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
6031 Posts

Posted - August 23 2021 :  10:48:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not out loud, but I'm predicting, at best, demands for money and/or more military equipment in return for our people--and Old Joe happily complying, with foot kissing included. Don't even want to contemplate 'at worst'.

Momma tells me there was a discussion in the break room about all of this, and one idiot actually defended the T-ban--'After all, they're just following their beliefs the same way Christians follow their beliefs here.' Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
If pro-gunners are as murderous as anti-gunners claim, why are there so many anti-gunners still running their mouths?
Go to Top of Page

jle3030
Advanced Member

USA
5764 Posts

Posted - August 23 2021 :  12:00:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A big part of the backlog and confusion of getting people out of Afghanistan has been the slow rolling complexity of the State Department's credentialing process. A quick fix would be to forget all that and just fly all those folks to Mexican airports near our southern border. Then let them walk across like everyone else from over 100 different countries.

Jeff

jle3030
Go to Top of Page

jle3030
Advanced Member

USA
5764 Posts

Posted - August 24 2021 :  8:52:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I suppose once you rationalize leaving thousands (7000?) of Americans to the tender mercies of the Taliban, the next logical step is to pack up the troops and leave early.

The Taliban know they can roll the Biden administration. I wonder how they'll use all those hostages? This is just the beginning.

Jeff

jle3030
Go to Top of Page

jle3030
Advanced Member

USA
5764 Posts

Posted - August 29 2021 :  3:27:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Prayers up for our troops as they extricate themselves from Bagram Airport. I'm not sure how you defend a perimeter as you load the last of your people onto the last few aircraft. Then there's the matter of getting the planes out without a shootdown. Hopefully there will be very significant air cover from "over the horizon'. Unfortunately that horizon is some hours flight time away.

Jeff

jle3030
Go to Top of Page

ASCTLC

778 Posts

Posted - August 29 2021 :  4:32:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Heck, they aren't even at the defensible Bagram airfield, they're at nearly impossible to defend Kabul airfield where prayers for their safe extrication are all that much more needed!
Go to Top of Page

jle3030
Advanced Member

USA
5764 Posts

Posted - August 29 2021 :  6:58:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My bad. I meant to say Kabul. Thanks for the correction

Jeff

jle3030
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page