Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - .38 spl. ammo
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Stopping Power
 Stopping Power
 .38 spl. ammo
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Russ Larges

USA
2445 Posts

Posted - January 20 2020 :  5:58:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by CW2 Ralph Long

If you are patient, the Remington folks should produce some more of the LHP +Ps soon. They seem to manufacture a couple of cartridge types and bullet weights and then move to some others. It's about time for the Golden Saber 125 grain and the 158 grain LHP's .38 Specials to show up again. If you go to Target Sports USA and SG Ammo websites, they have a place you can get text and email notices when what you are looking for arrives.
[/quote

Found some and ordered some from Midway.
Thanks all.
Russ

The pistol, learn it well, carry it allways. Jeff Cooper
Go to Top of Page

Evan
Administrator

34685 Posts

Posted - January 20 2020 :  5:59:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My first second gun was a round butt Model 36 bought in 1968. I bobbed the hammer, put a Tyler T grip on it and stuffed it with Super Vel. Shot it a lot with supposedly too high pressure loads and it never went out of time. It shot low but at bad breaths distance where most actual shootings start it was doable.

I've got several boxes of or Bon 158 gr lead hp's +P that when it warms up a bit I want to chrono them our of my Model 65.

"The greatest thing a Father can do for his children is to love their Mother."

Harold B. Lee

Go to Top of Page

Russ Larges

USA
2445 Posts

Posted - January 20 2020 :  6:55:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Evan

My first second gun was a round butt Model 36 bought in 1968. I bobbed the hammer, put a Tyler T grip on it and stuffed it with Super Vel. Shot it a lot with supposedly too high pressure loads and it never went out of time. It shot low but at bad breaths distance where most actual shootings start it was doable.

I've got several boxes of or Bon 158 gr lead hp's +P that when it warms up a bit I want to chrono them our of my Model 65.

Evan, would you run a couple out of a 2", I would like to know if there is any difference between them and the Remington stuff.
Thanks Russ

The pistol, learn it well, carry it allways. Jeff Cooper
Go to Top of Page

Jim Higginbotham

USA
9868 Posts

Posted - January 20 2020 :  7:22:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Russ Larges

quote:
Originally posted by Evan

Evan, would you run a couple out of a 2", I would like to know if there is any difference between them and the Remington stuff.
Thanks Russ

I'm not 100% what load Evan has but the Cor-bon 158's I had went 1005 from a friend's 1 7/8" model 442 - it was what one might term "stout" ( I liked that load). It might have actually been labeled +P+ and I think that may be discontinued?

But there may be a new load I have not seen. Buffalo Bore .38 "Heavy duty", which is marked simply +P, also gets over 1000 fps from my 1 7/8" M-36 - which may be a tight gun, could be 50-75 FPS less in a "slower" gun.

I might add though, that 800 to 850 in a 2" would be fine with me.

The Remington 158 +P LHP ("FBI Load) - gets 798 our of a 4" and does not expand in either 4" or 2" - at least not the lot I have - and I bought a whole case of it before testing it The Winchester FBI load only gets a tiny bit more, but it seems to expand in various test mediums - even a little bit in a 2" gun.

Just Ramblin'

Jim H.

Get the Weaponcraft Journal on Amazon: Print or Kindle!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.14seconds. Snitz Forums 2000