Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - .380's
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Shooting
 Pistol Palace
 .380's
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Uncle Mike
Advanced Member

1694 Posts

Posted - August 16 2018 :  10:35:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, I know that we have had over 25 responses but I think that the "raison d'etre" for the .380 was/is a small semi auto pistol to carry. With the development of the small 9mm's, like the Glock 43, there is no reason to carry a .380; unless you already own one. That being said I own several Cz 82's in 9mm Makarov and I like them. A longer barrel may or may not improve ballistics but you can't make a .380 into a 44 magnum, YMMV, Regards, Mike

Edited by - Uncle Mike on August 16 2018 2:08:51 PM
Go to Top of Page

gw
Advanced Member

4784 Posts

Posted - August 16 2018 :  10:57:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
you might have a point, but when the Massad went after terrorists their guns were brought into the country in a diplomatic pouch, the operators infiltrated into country, and their pistols were issued to them. concealment maybe wasn't a big problem.

soldiers carry weapons in the open, same with their police

the Russians and Chinese are selling body armor to he highest bider, everybody has some

rule 6 prevents us from discussing why the .380 is not working out today for Israel

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not..."
Go to Top of Page

jle3030
Advanced Member

USA
5527 Posts

Posted - August 16 2018 :  10:57:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Having owned both, I much prefer a locked breech .380 to a blowback model. Especially as the guns become smaller and lighter.

Jeff

jle3030
Go to Top of Page

heavyweight

USA
848 Posts

Posted - August 16 2018 :  12:13:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Mike

Hi, I know that we have had over 25 responses but I think that the "raison d'etre" for the .380 was/is a small semi auto pistol to carry. With the development of the small 9mm's, like the Glock 47, there is no reason to carry a .380; unless you already own one. That being said I own several Cz 82's in 9mm Makarov and I like them. A longer barrel may or may not improve ballistics but you can't make a .380 into a 44 magnum, YMMV, Regards, Mike

Of course I had to Google "Glock 47". lol
Go to Top of Page

Chris Christian
Advanced Member

USA
3642 Posts

Posted - August 16 2018 :  12:54:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can understand the allure of a pint-sized semi-auto pistol firing what is, essentially a lightweight 9mm bullet. At least, among those who have never had to use a handgun for self-defense at 'hand-to-hand' distances, where a hand on the slide, or loose clothing hitting the gun, or having to actually fire the gun in contact with an attacker can jam the gun.

Or, among those who have never had a semi-auto jam on them in even normal use.

IMHO... a lightweight .38 snubby stuffed with +P ammo is just as concealable...(and maybe offering more power per round) and while they may not be totally immune to malfunctions... they are much less likely to do so in the circumstances listed above.

In 'playing the odds', I'll go with the five I can more likely count on than the 6 or 7 I may not be able to count on.

Since this advice is free, it's worth every penny you didn't pay for it.

Chris Christian
There are those who make things happen. There are those who watch things happen. There are those who wonder What The Heck happened! Pick one.

Edited by - Chris Christian on August 16 2018 12:56:06 PM
Go to Top of Page

Uncle Mike
Advanced Member

1694 Posts

Posted - August 16 2018 :  2:08:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by heavyweight

quote:

Hi, I know that we have had over 25 responses but I think that the "raison d'etre" for the .380 was/is a small semi auto pistol to carry. With the development of the small 9mm's, like the Glock 47, there is no reason to carry a .380; unless you already own one. That being said I own several Cz 82's in 9mm Makarov and I like them. A longer barrel may or may not improve ballistics but you can't make a .380 into a 44 magnum, YMMV, Regards, Mike

SORRY, I meant of course Glock 43,regards, Mike
Go to Top of Page

LittleBill
Advanced Member

5558 Posts

Posted - August 16 2018 :  6:31:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

heavyweight, I just might be able to get you a Glock 47, the rarest of all Glocks. So rare, in fact, that few men outside of one or perhaps two elite units are even aware of itís existence. Let me guess: you couldnít even find it on Google. Am I right? Thatís how rare it is!

Being so rare, it wonít be cheap... but what price can you put on a one-of-a-kind pistol like the G47?

And the really awesome thing about this particular G47 is that it was formerly owned by royalty: Prince Umusbee Kiddenme of Nigeria, to be exact.

Let me know if youíre interested....

LB

"Courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of every virtue at its testing point"--- C.S. Lewis

"There are some ideas so foolish, that only an intellectual could believe them"--- George Orwell

Slow Is Smooth, Smooth Is Fast

Edited by - LittleBill on August 16 2018 8:14:37 PM
Go to Top of Page

LittleBill
Advanced Member

5558 Posts

Posted - August 16 2018 :  6:39:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

SORRY, I meant of course Glock 43,regards, Mike

Yes: to the untutored eye, the G47 does appear to be remarkably similar to the G43.... the main difference being, that G47s are harder to find than an honest Chicago politician... and even costlier to purchase....

"Courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of every virtue at its testing point"--- C.S. Lewis

"There are some ideas so foolish, that only an intellectual could believe them"--- George Orwell

Slow Is Smooth, Smooth Is Fast

Edited by - LittleBill on August 16 2018 7:55:08 PM
Go to Top of Page

Uncle Mike
Advanced Member

1694 Posts

Posted - August 16 2018 :  8:07:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, tough crowd
Go to Top of Page

Nanuk

USA
827 Posts

Posted - August 16 2018 :  9:10:06 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Nanuk's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I carried a Walther PPK/s 380 for 20 years as a 2nd gun. The shootings I saw on the street indicated the the 380 was every bit as effective as a snubby 38.

"May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't." Gen. George Patton
Go to Top of Page

BatteryOaksBilly

USA
211 Posts

Posted - November 18 2018 :  10:47:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have on occasion dressed down from 2 G43s to 2 LCPs. The LCPs are always loaded with the heaviest FMJFP I can obtain. Recently saw a posting of an ME who said in 36 investigations of .380 shootings he had never seen a HP that was successful nor FHJ failure. I thought that was an interesting statement.
As for me and mine, I am a Ball man. Placement and penetration are my idols. The heaviest solid in handguns by caliber are my choices. Since 78+% of all rounds fired by LE are air balls, the over penetration issue is moot.

When carrying 2 .380s with my choice, I have never felt under gunned. Certainly not under manned.

Billy Bruton..Carry every step..Shoot every day!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.12seconds. Snitz Forums 2000