Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - The Perfect Handgun
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Shooting
 Pistol Palace
 The Perfect Handgun
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Olddog84

USA
612 Posts

Posted - July 31 2018 :  07:36:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nothing quite feels as good in my hand as my slightly customized 1911. That being said, I don't carry it because it is too heavy and hard on my back. Of the Polymer guns the Glock 32/19 with the finger grooves ground off fits and points great for me, as does the 1.0 M&P full size with Medium grip insert, mine is in 40. Personal favorite, a 4" N-frame with the right grips.
Mike

"Somebody Tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." Malcolm Reynolds
Go to Top of Page

gw
Advanced Member

4440 Posts

Posted - July 31 2018 :  09:43:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
depends on the mission I think

the reason I have a hard time getting the gun safe door shut, the thing is stuffed with different guns for different jobs.

as a CCW day to day fighting gun, it's hard to beat the high capacity 9mm polymere guns, that means Glock to me but there are many like it.

I don't handgun hunt much anymore, when I did a long barreled wheel gun seemed ideal, usually a .44 magnum. I still got a few in the safe, all are S&W N- frames but there used to be a bunch of Ruger single actions. If I was doing it over they'd have all been .45 Colts

lately I spend time in black bear country, areas that have had several bear attacks over the years. I've tried a few, but keep coming back to a large bore S&W N frame 4 inch belt gun. a little heavy for my old back, but a good compromise of power vs weight.

I guess I've never found the perfect handgun after all.......

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not..."
Go to Top of Page

Mjolnir

USA
185 Posts

Posted - August 08 2018 :  03:16:09 AM  Show Profile  Send Mjolnir an ICQ Message  Reply with Quote
Jim mentioned the Colt Woodsman. I was almost a teenager (12) when I fired my first gun ever - a Colt Woodsman. Just the mention of that sweet pistol is deeply moving to me.

"None who have always been free can understand the
terrible fascinating power of the hope of freedom
to those who are not free."
Go to Top of Page

Ten Driver
Advanced Member

1847 Posts

Posted - August 08 2018 :  1:52:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Haven't found the perfect handgun yet. Even the ones I like a lot have some kind of imperfection or weakness that keep them from making me 100% satisfied. The search continues . . . and I enjoy it!
Go to Top of Page

Chris Christian
Advanced Member

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - August 08 2018 :  2:33:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
IMHO, the 'perfect handgun' is the one that suits the endeavor that you're using it for... or need it for... at the moment.

My first (at age 16) was a Ruger Single Six Convertible. I could afford the gun with my paper route and car washing money... and even some .22LR... although the .22 Magnums required some 'saving up'.

It was the 'perfect handgun' for me at the time because it taught me the basics of shooting a handgun... much to the dismay of the local ground squirrel and jackrabbit population that infested my rural Northern California stomping ground.

Living in FL now, we don't have any of those critters, so the Single Six... although remembered fondly from a half-century ago... doesn't take a current place in my collection.

Circumstances change... and so does the perfect handgun.

I think it comes under the heading of "What have you done for me lately?"

Chris Christian
There are those who make things happen. There are those who watch things happen. There are those who wonder What The Heck happened! Pick one.
Go to Top of Page

Barry in IN

USA
652 Posts

Posted - August 31 2018 :  11:20:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Browning HiPower. The grip feels wonderful with the proper stocks. The slide is shaped for easy, comfortable carry. Weight is enough to absorb some recoil without being heavy. Balance is great.

1911, and the steel frame Commanders feel the best to me.

Revolvers- K Frane S&W

Or my name ain't Nathan Arizona!
Go to Top of Page

Jim Higginbotham

USA
9706 Posts

Posted - September 01 2018 :  08:37:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Barry in IN

Browning HiPower. The grip feels wonderful with the proper stocks. The slide is shaped for easy, comfortable carry. Weight is enough to absorb some recoil without being heavy. Balance is great.

1911, and the steel frame Commanders feel the best to me.

Revolvers- K Frane S&W

I certainly have to agree Barry. With the standard factory wood I've been sort of unenthusiastic about the Browning but several stocks easily change that. I bought a Parkerized Mk III that had been an Israeli issue gun (it was marked Browning) that had wood stocks and a lanyard ring.

I started sanding on the stocks and ended up with perhaps one of the best feeling handguns I own.

A round butt K-frame also comes in there as one of the best - and with good stocks I even like a square butt. I have a couple N-frames with thin stocks that aren't bad either.

Jim H.

Get the Weaponcraft Journal on Amazon: Print or Kindle!
Go to Top of Page

gw
Advanced Member

4440 Posts

Posted - September 01 2018 :  09:12:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was looking at an older Belgiun Hi-Power the other day, unfired still in the box.

slide to frame fit was smooth like it was riding on ball bearings

I've owned a few Brownings, never felt one so well fitted.

really makes you want to carry something that nicely fitted

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not..."
Go to Top of Page

Jim Higginbotham

USA
9706 Posts

Posted - September 02 2018 :  09:48:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Amen GW!

I do realize that there are some guns that are produced today that are reliable, and more than adequately accurate and even "shootable".

But there is something to be said for craftsmanship!

I snagged a commercial P-35 a few years ago that was made around 1936 or 7 (not a Nazi, I have one of those as well). Its action is smooth as butter.

I have a 1939 Colt N.M. that is the same way.

Boy could those old boys turn out a handgun!

Jim H.

Get the Weaponcraft Journal on Amazon: Print or Kindle!
Go to Top of Page

Barry in IN

USA
652 Posts

Posted - September 02 2018 :  4:28:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You guys are making me cry.

Go to Top of Page

Russ Larges

USA
2330 Posts

Posted - September 02 2018 :  4:49:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, one of the best woods walking guns I have is the LCRx 3". It is light, has a very good double action trigger along with adj. sights and a good feeling grip. It handles +p very well and spits out wadcutters like a pro. While I would not call this a perfect handgun it is very close for what I want in one.
Russ

The pistol, learn it well, carry it allways. Jeff Cooper
Go to Top of Page

Russ Larges

USA
2330 Posts

Posted - September 02 2018 :  4:49:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, one of the best woods walking guns I have is the LCRx 3". It is light, has a very good double action trigger along with adj. sights and a good feeling grip. It handles +p very well and spits out wadcutters like a pro. While I would not call this a perfect handgun it is very close for what I want in one.
Russ

The pistol, learn it well, carry it allways. Jeff Cooper
Go to Top of Page

Mjolnir

USA
185 Posts

Posted - September 27 2018 :  01:39:58 AM  Show Profile  Send Mjolnir an ICQ Message  Reply with Quote
There's a Ruger P95 that I still half-own (it's been at my son's house for years, but I never gave up calling it mine). Except for the DA trigger pull, it was a great gun. It seemed to weld into my hand, and the best group I ever shot (center target even!) at 25 yds was with that gun. But I haven't shot it for years, so maybe the pistols I like now would change my mind about how good it was for me.

"None who have always been free can understand the
terrible fascinating power of the hope of freedom
to those who are not free."
Go to Top of Page

revjen45
Advanced Member

2290 Posts

Posted - September 27 2018 :  11:43:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Steyr S9 for me - not perfect, but pretty darn good.

Better to perish in the struggle for freedom than live to see defeat.
Go to Top of Page

Barry in IN

USA
652 Posts

Posted - October 01 2018 :  01:13:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Id like to shoot one of those Steyrs someday. I do seem to like most things they make.

Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5379 Posts

Posted - October 01 2018 :  09:39:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After considering the premise of the subject here, I've decided the 'perfect handgun' is the one I want next. At this time, it's the 5" GP100 .44. Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
If pro-gunners are as murderous as anti-gunners claim, why are there so many anti-gunners still running their mouths?
Go to Top of Page

LittleBill
Advanced Member

5177 Posts

Posted - October 01 2018 :  10:29:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Perfect!

Perfection: always just one gun away....

"Courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of every virtue at its testing point"--- C.S. Lewis

"There are some ideas so foolish, that only an intellectual could believe them"--- George Orwell

Slow Is Smooth, Smooth Is Fast
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.2seconds. Snitz Forums 2000