StoppingPower.net Forums
Home
Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - Lube your guns!
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Shooting
 Pistol Palace
 Lube your guns!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Jim Higginbotham

USA
9706 Posts

Posted - June 13 2018 :  08:01:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Christian

I have to say something here. I frequently test firearms for NRA Publications. I often take them right out of the box... check them briefly for proper function, look through the bore... and then run a couple hundred rounds through them without pre-shooting lubrication.

I want to see what condition of readiness the factory has sent the gun out in. They are all supposed to be test fired before leaving, and have some level of factory lube. I consider that important YMMV.

If they fail out-of-the-box, then I know short cuts were taken.

After that, if they work, I'll lube 'em up for the rest of the test. But, I want to see what comes out-of-the-box. If it fails then, I don't see any point in wasting time or ammo on it.

And, no. I don't do YouTube, etc. I don't even look at that garbage.

Makes sense Chris.

I'm pretty sure Glock tests guns - a friend (on the forum) who owned a gun shop got one brand new that was fully loaded (round in the chamber) - fortunately his staff was well trained and caught it.

They called the factory and got the answer: "Well that happens now and then."

Nobody's perfect

Jim

PS, I don't know but I'd guess the gun came through a Distributor, who missed the loaded condition - the friend has connections at the factory which is why he called.

Get the Weaponcraft Journal on Amazon: Print or Kindle!

Edited by - Jim Higginbotham on June 13 2018 08:04:32 AM
Go to Top of Page

LfiGrad

USA
93 Posts

Posted - June 13 2018 :  12:28:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[

PS, I don't know but I'd guess the gun came through a Distributor, who missed the loaded condition - the friend has connections at the factory which is why he called.
[/quote]
The gun
(snipped quote)

Jim, I worked in sales for a gun distributor for ten years. The new guns come in boxes. new models are opened and passed among the sales force for examination and familiarity but other than that they are not checked or boxes opened. Why would they be? They are new guns. They are going to FFLs and it is THEIR job to check everything before retail display.

I'm not saying that an occasional box may indeed be opened now and then, but the distributor is merely the middleman.

On the other hand, used guns (police trades) are examined very closely.

If my only choice was a loaded .25 or an unloaded .45, I would choose the empty .45. They both have the same stopping power, but the empty 1911 looks a lot more convincing and makes a better club.
Go to Top of Page

Jim Higginbotham

USA
9706 Posts

Posted - June 17 2018 :  10:46:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LfiGrad

[

The gun
(snipped quote)

Jim, I worked in sales for a gun distributor for ten years. The new guns come in boxes. new models are opened and passed among the sales force for examination and familiarity but other than that they are not checked or boxes opened. Why would they be? They are new guns. They are going to FFLs and it is THEIR job to check everything before retail display.

I'm not saying that an occasional box may indeed be opened now and then, but the distributor is merely the middleman.

On the other hand, used guns (police trades) are examined very closely.

[/quote]

Yep, that is pretty much how I figure it as well - but I'd still be uncomfortable in assuming the gun in the box had the same serial number as the box - though I do understand that is a lot of boxes to check.

FWIW - I've seen guns and boxes mismatched but I'm not sure where the mistake occurs.

Jim

Get the Weaponcraft Journal on Amazon: Print or Kindle!
Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5384 Posts

Posted - June 17 2018 :  2:08:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not distributors, but we've had guns brought into the store as trades, the trader deals with the boss in the office, then the gun--in a box, holster, or bare--is turned over to us clerks for the paperwork; on rare occasion, when we get the gun to put in the book/in stock, we've found them loaded. That mistake is on the boss. I've gotten some good samples of ammo to try that way; I don't normally offer it back to the trader. Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
If pro-gunners are as murderous as anti-gunners claim, why are there so many anti-gunners still running their mouths?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.12seconds. Snitz Forums 2000