Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - Ruger PC Carbine
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Shooting
 The Rifle Rack
 Ruger PC Carbine
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Dov
Advanced Member

USA
2689 Posts

Posted - April 10 2018 :  5:47:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anyone know when these should be on shelves of local gun Stores?

Iím interested but want to handle one.
Go to Top of Page

gw
Advanced Member

4398 Posts

Posted - April 10 2018 :  7:14:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I saw on last week

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not..."
Go to Top of Page

zeke
Average Member

273 Posts

Posted - April 11 2018 :  06:20:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Found one yesterday, hopefully going to range today.
Go to Top of Page

zeke
Average Member

273 Posts

Posted - April 11 2018 :  7:03:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very easy recoil. Excellent peep sights that easily clear an Omega 9k, while maintaining reasonable sight alignment to bore axis. The sights were set right on (windage and elevation) for 115 loads and reasonably close to 147 plus p velocity loads. The last firearm I bought that was sighted in from the factory was a CZ 75b.

The muzzle threads were cut square to the bore, and correctly relieved at start of threading allowing suppressor to seat square. Fed a range of rounds from 115 target to 147 with no failures, until I switched from suppressed rounds to 115 target rounds. Gummed up enough to not allow picking up the next round, until full power rounds were put through it. Switched to glock mag insert, no trouble with stock Glock mags tried.

It appears to be a study gun, and expect the 124 gn plus p velocity rounds to approach 125 grainers from 4 in 357, but maybe wishful thinking?
Go to Top of Page

Evan
Administrator

34362 Posts

Posted - April 11 2018 :  10:02:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Been almost 30 years but I remember the Federal +P+ 115 gr jhp broke 1500 fps.

"The greatest thing a Father can do for his children is to love their Mother."

Harold B. Lee

Go to Top of Page

Dov
Advanced Member

USA
2689 Posts

Posted - April 12 2018 :  12:59:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, might get chance to visit gun shop after doctor visit tomorrow.

From what Iíve seen, beside the 115 BPLE or equivalent hitting 1500+ fps from SMG/Carbine like Evan mentioned, the +P 124's will do around 1400 fps.

Edited by - Dov on April 12 2018 01:00:14 AM
Go to Top of Page

zeke
Average Member

273 Posts

Posted - April 12 2018 :  07:52:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Guys-Thanks for velocity info. The hand loaded 147 grainers that get about 1020 fps from 4.5 in barrel were staying sub-sonic in the Ruger. The rifle allows adjusting length of pull with cheesy plastic spacers, but took them all out for about 12.5 inches. Not nearly as compact/light package as kel-tec folder, but just as accurate and seems a lot sturdier.
Go to Top of Page

oldmuleskinner

856 Posts

Posted - April 13 2018 :  7:31:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I knew better than to go into my favorite gun store today. They had just received 3 Ruger PC carbines and like a dummy, I just had to take a look at one.

It was love at first sight! When it came out of the box, it snuggled right up to me and started whispering in my ear. It was almost like an abandoned puppy, I just didn't feel right about not providing a good home for it.

Needless to say, about 15 minutes later, I loaded it into my car's trunk. I know that it will enjoy its new home...it will have lots of brothers and sisters to keep it company.

I am hoping that Ruger makes an adapter to utilize S&W M&P mags. If not, I'll be ok with just using the Glock mags that I already have in the safe.

Now I have to decide if it needs a red dot on top.

Each of us is an innkeeper, and we decide if there is room for Jesus.
Neal A. Maxwell
Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5351 Posts

Posted - April 13 2018 :  9:25:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Of course it needs a red dot, one with a remote switch so you can quickly activate it when needed.
BTW, where can a guy find one of those---the red dot, not the carbine (wouldn't be safe for me to handle one of those guns, for the same reason as oms). Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
If pro-gunners are as murderous as anti-gunners claim, why are there so many anti-gunners still running their mouths?
Go to Top of Page

CW2 Ralph Long
Average Member

USA
392 Posts

Posted - April 25 2018 :  8:22:05 PM  Show Profile  Click to see CW2 Ralph Long's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Just got my Ruger PC9 Takedown through GB.com. Had time to substitue Glock magagzine insert. Checked functioning & zero at 35 yards prior to breaking it down for a road trip to AZ. The 21 round Magpul mag worked great. The carbine appears to be dead on at that range with Federal 124 grain +P HST. Chronograph averaged 1384 on a six shot average with a low of 1364 and a high of 1410 f.p.s.

ďIf you will not fight for right when you can easily win without bloodshed;
if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may
come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves.Ē

Winston Churchill
Go to Top of Page

ironhead7544
Starting Member

USA
49 Posts

Posted - April 26 2018 :  05:16:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
With some 124 gr +P loads, the 16 inch barrel velocity is close to a 357 Magnum 125 gr load from a 4" revolver. And is a lot easier to hit with.

The CorBon 115 gr loads goes 1515 fps from my AR9 16 inch. The 9BPLE goes 1485. Most of the standard pressure 124 gr hollow point loads go 1300 fps.

Standard pressure handloads with 124 gr bullets can easily get 1450 fps with the right powder.
Go to Top of Page

Chris Christian
Advanced Member

USA
3312 Posts

Posted - June 14 2018 :  1:42:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Update on my Ruger PC Carbine. I have about 2,000 rounds through it now. Much of that was in 175 round matches. So far it has been ... wait for it... flawless!

The take down feature makes cleaning the blow-back action easy. It's almost like cheating compared to an AR carbine.

I'm glad I sent Ruger a check, instead of sending the test gun back.

Edited to add... any one who is comfortable with a Ruger 10/22 .22 rifle will find this gun so close in handling, controls and function as to make one 'just like the other'.

Chris Christian
There are those who make things happen. There are those who watch things happen. There are those who wonder What The Heck happened! Pick one.

Edited by - Chris Christian on June 14 2018 1:44:51 PM
Go to Top of Page

Barry in IN

USA
649 Posts

Posted - August 31 2018 :  8:29:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now that at least two good friends have been the guinea pigs and bought and tried them first, I bought one.

This only reminded me that I can justify almost any gun purchase. I donít find pistol caliber carbines smaller than .357 or so to be of much use. I only saw this one as a fun gun or teaching gun. Besides seeing uses for myself, I instruct 4-H kids and the PC9 should make a nice step up from .22s. Similarly with the 10/22 wonít hurt. Having less blast than the .223s wonít either. And we have a Glock 19, so mags are not a problem.

The big nudge was that Iím a sucker for takedown rifles. I canít resist them. The takedown feature has ďsoldĒ me on a few guns I might have ignored otherwise.

So I got one. When a friend asked what I thought of it after shooting it, I replied that while itís not very hard hitting as rifles go, itís sure easier to hit with than a pistol.
That was meant as a snarky comment, but the thought kept turning over in my head.

Iíve returned to motorcycle riding after a long absence. Itís good to be back, but the nagging thought of being rifle-less on that thing wonít go away. When buying the Ruger, I joked that it might fit in the saddlebags of my motorcycle. Now Iím not joking as much, It does fit, so this may be its niche...at least for me.
Nine mm or not, it does give me a rifle option.

Now that Iím getting serious about it, I have been wondering what range I should zero it at? What was typical when subguns were trendy?
Iíve been using 50 yards, but have no good reason for that.

Concerning a more effective cartridge for these...
I couldnít help but notice how easy a caliber change could be done. I knew about the interchangeable magwell, and obviously the easy barrel remove and install. What I didnít know was the bolt face is setup for easy swapping.
The bolt face is a separate part from the bolt. Pull two pins, and itís free to come out.
Hmmm, my mind spins with the possibilities here.
Also, that weight in the bolt could be replaced with a heavier one.

Go to Top of Page

Jim Higginbotham

USA
9685 Posts

Posted - September 01 2018 :  08:40:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A little off topic but I keep seeing a used Taylor Take-down .357 carbine at the LGS - tempting! If it wasn't one of the "Alaskan" models with a synthetic stock it would be sold already.

Jim

Get the Weaponcraft Journal on Amazon: Print or Kindle!
Go to Top of Page

Chris Christian
Advanced Member

USA
3312 Posts

Posted - September 01 2018 :  12:47:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Barry in IN

Now that at least two good friends have been the guinea pigs and bought and tried them first, I bought one.

The big nudge was that Iím a sucker for takedown rifles. I canít resist them. The takedown feature has ďsoldĒ me on a few guns I might have ignored otherwise.

Concerning a more effective cartridge for these...
I couldnít help but notice how easy a caliber change could be done. I knew about the interchangeable magwell, and obviously the easy barrel remove and install. What I didnít know was the bolt face is setup for easy swapping.
The bolt face is a separate part from the bolt. Pull two pins, and itís free to come out.
Hmmm, my mind spins with the possibilities here.
Also, that weight in the bolt could be replaced with a heavier one.

Good thoughts! I'm not a gunsmith or overly technical guy...but I wonder if there is enough room in the existing receiver dimensions to chamber it for 10mm. That cartridge, from a 4-inch pistol barrel is launching 180 grain .40 caliber loads at almost 1300 fps, which is 'lower end' .41 Magnum performance. Add 12 inches of barrel and factory loads in 180 or 200 grains are likely to equal, or exceed, .41 Mag velocities... and no one would argue with that for hunting or personal protection.

If the receiver size won't take the 10mm (about the same OAL as a .45 ACP) then the .357 SIG might work. That would 'out Magnum' the .357 Magnum from a revolver, an shouldn't create the problems one has trying to feed rimmed cartridges in a semi-auto.

It will be interesting to see what... if anything... follows the 9mm chambering. My guess (and this only only a guess, but a somewhat educated one) is that Ruger brought this carbine out to compete in the competition market.. which is currently VERY HOT.

What lies down the road? I do not know. But some potential is there.

Chris Christian
There are those who make things happen. There are those who watch things happen. There are those who wonder What The Heck happened! Pick one.
Go to Top of Page

Pop Pop

USA
916 Posts

Posted - September 01 2018 :  2:12:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a Ruger Carbine in 40 caliber. Looks just like the new 9 MM Carbine they just came out with. I have had my 40 for 15 years, or so. I could be wrong, but the new 9 MM is not a new design from Ruger IMO.

Also purchased a new Henry 38/357 lever gun a couple years ago. I do like pistol caliber carbines. Very nice to shoot.

Pop Pop
Go to Top of Page

oldmuleskinner

856 Posts

Posted - September 01 2018 :  8:41:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Last year, my grand daughter Kyla, who was 10 years old at the time, shot her first buck (a 4x4 whitetail) with my Marlin .357 carbine. It was a 15 yard double lung shot that literally dropped the buck in his tracks.

I have carried 125 JHP loads in my .357 revolvers since back in my LEO days, and that is what she shot the deer with, mostly because that's what I had on hand.

I think the 9mm out of a carbine should do an adequate job on a deer at close range. I think that I might have Kyla's younger brother use one of my 9mm carbines this year for his first deer. They weigh a little less than the .357. He would also be shooting from a stand at 15 yards or less. My 9mm carry loads are 115 grainers, but I have some 124 gr loads, and would probably go with them.

I really like the 9mm carbines...I have them in Marlin, KelTec, and Ruger versions. Handy little guns!

Each of us is an innkeeper, and we decide if there is room for Jesus.
Neal A. Maxwell
Go to Top of Page

Barry in IN

USA
649 Posts

Posted - September 02 2018 :  12:11:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pop Pop

I have had my 40 for 15 years, or so. I could be wrong, but the new 9 MM is not a new design from Ruger IMO.

I had one in .40 for a short time right around the turn of the century (its fun saying that). Youíre right, itís not new. When these came out, I wanted to laugh at everyone getting excited over them. Some of that was from having a hard time getting rid of my .40 and now seeing waiting lists for these.

But they arenít the same either. The takedown part is obvious, of course. So was the multi-magazine thing. The more I learned about the new ones, the more I saw was changed. The originals had the Ruger type scope ring setup, if I remember right. I usually like that, but on that short receiver the more flexibility in optic placement of the new rail is nice. The trigger design is different, and is actually pretty good.

And there is that separate bolt face that has me spinning.

Or my name ain't Nathan Arizona!
Go to Top of Page

USA
171 Posts

Posted - September 02 2018 :  01:14:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
I had one in .40 for a short time right around the turn of the century (its fun saying that).
Yes, I enjoy using time references also. As one of the old pharts on here, I like to tell people who ask my age that "I was born in the first half of the last century!" That pauses them to think it out.

quote:
But they arenít the same either. The takedown part is obvious, of course. So was the multi-magazine thing. The more I learned about the new ones, the more I saw was changed. The originals had the Ruger type scope ring setup, if I remember right. I usually like that, but on that short receiver the more flexibility in optic placement of the new rail is nice. The trigger design is different, and is actually pretty good.

And there is that separate bolt face that has me spinning.

I never owned the earlier version, and I didn't care for .40 S&W, either. I have and hunt with my Ruger 77/.357 bolt carbine, and I handled the new 9mm PC and kind of like it. The problem, if you could call it that, is it would mean buying different magazines than I have, and/or buying a Ruger 9mm handgun that shares magazines.

In many ways that hasn't been a problem for me, except this blasted getting old and falling apart business. The past two years I have been loosing strength and grip-ability in my left hand, and a fall I had in the driveway the first of April messed up my right hand, arm and shoulder and aggravated a bad neck/spine.

I'm on-the-mend from neck surgery a week ago to remove bone spurs, a herniated disk and then they fused C4 & C5. The surgeon told me that if all goes well, over time, I might get up to 80% of my mobility and strength back in my right arm and shoulder. So far, 10 days later ... no changes.

If things don't improve in a month or two it looks like I'll be selling off all my self-loaders because I haven't been able to work the slide on any of them for about 9 months or more. I'm still a long-time devoted revolver fan so they will stay. I have an ample supply of 9mm ammo, however, so the Ruger PC9 still has my interest. Might hold off for that month or two and maybe do some trading at the LGS to get one.

'840'

Yes, I, too, have my semi-autos, but folks need to credit the serious versatility of a good revolver with a serviceable load.
Go to Top of Page

Dov
Advanced Member

USA
2689 Posts

Posted - September 02 2018 :  04:44:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 840

In many ways that hasn't been a problem for me, except this blasted getting old and falling apart business. The past two years I have been loosing strength and grip-ability in my left hand, and a fall I had in the driveway the first of April messed up my right hand, arm and shoulder and aggravated a bad neck/spine.

I'm on-the-mend from neck surgery a week ago to remove bone spurs, a herniated disk and then they fused C4 & C5. The surgeon told me that if all goes well, over time, I might get up to 80% of my mobility and strength back in my right arm and shoulder. So far, 10 days later ... no changes.

If things don't improve in a month or two it looks like I'll be selling off all my self-loaders because I haven't been able to work the slide on any of them for about 9 months or more. I'm still a long-time devoted revolver fan so they will stay. I have an ample supply of 9mm ammo, however, so the Ruger PC9 still has my interest. Might hold off for that month or two and maybe do some trading at the LGS to get one.

'840'

Your not alone.

For me I still have decent strength for everyday activities, still doing pull ups and pushups, but can get joint pain from from almost any activity. Have to be careful even with dry fire

Getting throat surgery in about a week, hopefully that will improve breathing and fatigue issues, and possibly blood pressure. One doc was pretty confident my blood pressure is from sleep apnea, & CPAP not helping enough.
Go to Top of Page

Barry in IN

USA
649 Posts

Posted - September 02 2018 :  08:38:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You reminded me of something.
Fair warning: Retracting the bolt takes a fairly stiff pull. At least, more than I expected. Anyone with hand/wrist/etc issues should make sure they can deal with this before buying.

Go to Top of Page

Pop Pop

USA
916 Posts

Posted - September 02 2018 :  09:12:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Barry, thanks for getting me up to speed on the changes in the new 9 MM. Except for the takedown my 40 looks exactly like the newer 9 MM. Glad they tweaked the trigger and added the takedown feature, I have a 1022 takedown and really like that feature. I do like the 40 caliber and have a lot of ammo for it. My 40 shoots accurate out to 50 yards. It is not scoped and I can't see much farther than that with open sights. Was shooting a 8" paper plate.

840, I feel your pain. I have 4 5 and 6 fused. That pain is hard to fight. I also lost strength in my left arm(right handed) and still have some numbness, but most(75%) of my strength came back over time. I too have gone to a revolver for my primary carry also. Am working in a MP 9C in my carry routine. Pocket carry the 357 and IWB the 2.0 9C.

Wishing you well in your recovery.

Pop Pop
Go to Top of Page

Jim Higginbotham

USA
9685 Posts

Posted - September 02 2018 :  09:41:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm with Chris (yet again).

If Ruger did not leave room in the basic action for a .45 and 10mm they sure aren't as bright as I think they are.

I've been waiting for either of those. A 10mm carbine would be pretty neat indeed.

Jim

Get the Weaponcraft Journal on Amazon: Print or Kindle!
Go to Top of Page

Dov
Advanced Member

USA
2689 Posts

Posted - September 02 2018 :  1:19:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Higginbotham

I'm with Chris (yet again).

If Ruger did not leave room in the basic action for a .45 and 10mm they sure aren't as bright as I think they are.

I've been waiting for either of those. A 10mm carbine would be pretty neat indeed.

Jim

A 10mm Carbine, not saying I need one but Iíd probably buy one of those
Go to Top of Page

Barry in IN

USA
649 Posts

Posted - September 02 2018 :  3:54:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was sort of holding out for a 10mm, so now that Iíve bought the small bore we can expect the 10 any day now.

Iíve been supposing .44 AutoMag is too much to hope for.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.33seconds. Snitz Forums 2000