StoppingPower.net Forums
Home
Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - Tactical cane update??
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Be Prepared
 Concealed Carry
 Tactical cane update??
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

LittleBill
Advanced Member

4147 Posts

Posted - September 17 2017 :  1:00:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gw

TSA maintains the discretion to scan/inspect mobility aids like canes.

"fighting canes" have distinct characteristics easily recognized by an informed inspector. depends on local rules whether these are allowed in public.

sharpened crooks, rounded tips, cord wrapping, finger grooves etc. are giveaways

a perscription from a doctor is a plus and might move to the front of the line

My current Irish blackthorn cane has no crook, it's just a straight stick with a tangerine-sized nob on the top end.

The rubber crutch-tip on the bottom end is easily removed by stepping on it with my shoe, and pulling the cane up and out of it. This exposes a hard-edged cylindrical brass tip suitable for thrusting.

The blackthorn canes are notable for being both strong and light; due to both the inherent nature of the wood, and the special way they're cured. I could take my previous one and beat the ground with it as hard as I could, with no damage to the cane.

The traditional Irish versions often left on the thorns that grow along the length of the stick, making it a much more effective weapon. But I'm thinking they might not be 'security-friendly' in today's world.

The modern versions like my current one trim the thorns so they're more or less just bumps. But if you had to whack somebody with it, they might help 'focus' the impact a bit.

Ebay sometimes has some nice ones.

"Courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of every virtue at its testing point"--- C.S. Lewis

"There are some ideas so foolish that only an intellectual could believe them"--- George Orwell

Slow Is Smooth, Smooth Is Fast

Edited by - LittleBill on September 17 2017 1:15:56 PM
Go to Top of Page

WR Moore

USA
828 Posts

Posted - September 18 2017 :  1:36:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I watched a couple videos on the cane as weapon. I was particularly interested in one that claimed to be for us senior citizens. The 30ish dojo rat who did the video obviously has no clue about the problems of the aged, even in relatively good health.

If you're going to carry the cane as a necessity, you need to sell the concept. Put some weight on it, along with a little hitch in your giddy up. You don't have to look like you're significantly disabled, just need a bit of help. The cane as fashion accessory went out with capes and spats.

Go to Top of Page

LittleBill
Advanced Member

4147 Posts

Posted - September 18 2017 :  3:51:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wish I could say that it takes an effort on my part to look like I need a cane. Unfortunately, just 'being myself' is more than enough.

"Courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of every virtue at its testing point"--- C.S. Lewis

"There are some ideas so foolish that only an intellectual could believe them"--- George Orwell

Go to Top of Page

hopleyyeaton

USA
100 Posts

Posted - September 18 2017 :  8:27:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A booklet entitled "The Cane as a Weapon" was published in 1912 by A C Cunningham, a civil engineer who worked for the Navy and IIRC was the fencing coach at Annapolis. It is easily found and downloaded online.
Go to Top of Page

LittleBill
Advanced Member

4147 Posts

Posted - September 18 2017 :  9:58:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the recommendation!

I see that--- unlike a lot of today's 'fighting canes'--- Cunningham prefers a straight 'knobbed' style cane over the hooked ones.

Edited by - LittleBill on September 18 2017 10:00:04 PM
Go to Top of Page

jlwilliams

USA
231 Posts

Posted - September 19 2017 :  10:33:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My two cents, for what its worth, is that a cane can be used as a weapon OR it can be used for mobility. If you need the cane for balance and mobility, skip the Dan Inosanto act. A young, fit person can certainly use a cane in a fight, but if you need the cane to stay upright it would be stupid to swing it and no one gets old enough to need a cane by being that stupid. If you carry a cane your "tactical" cane consideration is how to carry and draw your firearm with a cane in whichever hand the cane needs to be in. It's not a man fighting with his cane, it's a man with his cane...fighting.

Not sexy or exciting, but there it is.
Go to Top of Page

gw
Advanced Member

3875 Posts

Posted - September 19 2017 :  11:33:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LittleBill

Thanks for the recommendation!

I see that--- unlike a lot of today's 'fighting canes'--- Cunningham prefers a straight 'knobbed' style cane over the hooked ones.

a hooked cane can be used for trapping and positioning an opponent

likely not a good technique for someone unstable and needs his cane for support. it could "tie" that person to a stronger more mobile opponent and be pulled off balance.

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not..."
Go to Top of Page

LittleBill
Advanced Member

4147 Posts

Posted - September 19 2017 :  4:32:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My thoughts exactly, when I see those hooking techniques demonstrated: a 'younger me' might have found them useful, the present me better stick (no pun intended) to techniques that don't require so much balance and agility.

Edited by - LittleBill on September 19 2017 4:32:33 PM
Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
4964 Posts

Posted - September 19 2017 :  5:26:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In the FWIW column, a few years ago I messed up both ankles falling off a tree-stand ladder, not broken but badly and painfully bunged up (medical term). Had to use a stick for about a month to ease the pressure of walking; either hand worked, it just needed to be leaned on to 'lighten the load'. Found out how easy it is to come to rely on a stick, even when it's no longer really necessary. Of course I considered how it might be useful in a social situation, and I tried a few cool moves with it to see what I was capable of--which wouldn't have been a whole lot, but swinging it up to meet the put-together region, and jabbing to the face or body could be done pretty quickly. When it needed to be on my strong side for the walking, it was easy to slip the BUG into the left vest or jacket pocket.
At the time, my stick was a length of field-cured cedar tree, about three-and-a-half feet long; really light but plenty stout. Kinda pretty, too, in a rough sort of way. Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
Go to Top of Page

wolfgang2000
Advanced Member

USA
3723 Posts

Posted - September 20 2017 :  2:16:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know there are tons "tactical" Cain's and pens on the market. The problem is they all look, well, tactical. So tactical that even the civil servant at the check point will be able to pick up on them.

I'll bet all the retired LEO's on this board cut their teeth on a wooden night stick. I'll also bet the same group has had training with 3.5 food riot stick. Just apply that training to the cain. My local agg center has some nice hickory with crock necks. They have them is in sizes from walking size, to tall Shepard size.

As far as pens go, I buy these stainless steal ball point pens. They are fair stabbers, (I would prefer them to 1 or 2 inch's longer but they work. If you loose one no big deal, I was getting them in a 2 pack for under 10 bucks.

“The key is to hit them hard, hit them fast, and hit them repeatedly. The one shot stop is a unit of measurement not a tactical philosophy.” Evan Marshall
Go to Top of Page

Russ Larges

USA
2200 Posts

Posted - September 20 2017 :  5:35:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As with Ace above, I use a cane to lighten the load on my lower back. My favorite one is a very old cattle hook that came from a Purina feed show, I don't know how long ago, but it has developed a bow from leaning in a corner somewhere. No way could it be mistaken for a fighting cane, but it is very sturdy and has a sharp hook end, as they say on forged in fire, it will work.

The pistol, learn it well, carry it allways. Jeff Cooper
Go to Top of Page

revjen45
Advanced Member

2224 Posts

Posted - September 21 2017 :  11:31:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
1) LittleBill: using the pistol recoil to right myself while falling sounds like a capital idea! Think I'll switch from 9mm to .44 Mag to slow my descent.
2) It's hard to strut when when you really are a gimp.

Better to perish in the struggle for freedom than live to see defeat.
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm
Advanced Member

USA
3964 Posts

Posted - September 21 2017 :  11:46:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I switched to a shoulder holster for my back. The hickory cane from the local ag supply store is my fighting car, and YES! I did use a straight stick(baton) in the gold olden days, until I transitioned (switched) to my cherished riot baton.(blonde baton of death) Made a great sound going into my baton ring as I exited the patrol car, oddly, never had to use it except in the 1992 Rodney King Spring Festival. Walking much better after total knee replacement, but still need the cane occasionally and can "sell the idea" of my cane being mandatory quite well....now.

"The measure of a man's character, is how he treats someone who can do nothing for him." (unknown)
Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
4964 Posts

Posted - September 21 2017 :  2:05:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not to go off-topic, but I was fond of the straight baton with the little 'belly button' on the end; never needed to use that particular accessory, but it was there just in case--until Sarge made me take it off (looked too 'aggressive' or something). Missed a chance to acquire a bunch of National Guard riot sticks when they threw them out. A shame, they would have made great little walking sticks.
We got issued new 'better' side-handle batons, which made all kinds of Kung Fuey compliance holds possible---if the bad guy would cooperate and let you do it. Mine got lost, and the old baton took its place. Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
Go to Top of Page

WR Moore

USA
828 Posts

Posted - September 21 2017 :  6:48:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK guys, what's the name of the ag store with the good hickory sticks? Do they have a website?
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm
Advanced Member

USA
3964 Posts

Posted - September 22 2017 :  1:58:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In our neck of the woods, it's the "Cal Ranch " chain, Tractor Supply or online from Lehman's.
Got stopped in post office yesterday by an older retired copper who wanted to know where mine came from.
Straight stick works!

"The measure of a man's character, is how he treats someone who can do nothing for him." (unknown)
Go to Top of Page

WR Moore

USA
828 Posts

Posted - September 24 2017 :  09:56:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, I somehow managed to keep my riot stick from back in the late 1960s. Sometime, somewhere it disappeared. I kind of expect the kids were responsible and that doesn't matter now. I've really missed that a few times.

I kind of irks me that you can't find brass caps on canes now. I've go one on my current stick, but as a co-worker once noted, "That looks like a cane, but it's really a whomping stick."

Edited by - WR Moore on September 24 2017 09:57:58 AM
Go to Top of Page

LittleBill
Advanced Member

4147 Posts

Posted - September 24 2017 :  10:20:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I pressed a copper end-cap (made for soldering on to copper pipe) onto the end of my juniper-wood walking stick and 'punched' it on opposite sides to keep it in place, has worked fine for many years. Not as 'elegant' as the brass tips on the old canes, but does its job.

Some of the folks selling blackthorn canes on Ebay will fit them with a brass tip if desired; so such things do still exist.

I like to cover the copper/brass tip of my canes and walking sticks with an (easily-removed) rubber crutch tip, which gives a lot more 'traction' on hard surfaces than a metal tip does; but can quickly be pulled off if the brass tip is needed.

Edited by - LittleBill on September 24 2017 11:04:13 AM
Go to Top of Page

wolfgang2000
Advanced Member

USA
3723 Posts

Posted - September 24 2017 :  2:56:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I loved my side handle baton. (PR24?). When operation rescue spent the summer in Baton Rouge, they wouldn't let us carry them. We could only carry one of those collapsible batons. They really didn't impress me, but it was better than nothing. I learned that in close in fighting don't extend it, use it as a jabbing weapon. It worked wonders on the rib cage.

“The key is to hit them hard, hit them fast, and hit them repeatedly. The one shot stop is a unit of measurement not a tactical philosophy.” Evan Marshall
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm
Advanced Member

USA
3964 Posts

Posted - September 24 2017 :  3:13:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wolfgang, I was always too uncoordinated to ever use a PR in "real life", of course a few suspects fell down laughing too hard...

Go to Top of Page

Pip

USA
212 Posts

Posted - October 12 2017 :  10:54:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anyone have experience with the KaBar LD1 cane? I'd appreciate any comments . . .

Regards,

Pip
Go to Top of Page

RLS

USA
688 Posts

Posted - October 13 2017 :  12:35:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pip, I didn't see LD1 on a search. I have found a KA-BAR TDI Self-Defense Cane in the KA-BAR catalog. There are 58 comments on it on knifecenter.com. I have dealt with knifecenter a number of times, in fact two of my Cold Steel City Sticks were purchased from them.

Rick
Go to Top of Page

Uncle Mike
Advanced Member

USA
1559 Posts

Posted - October 13 2017 :  2:37:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, I have a cane that was made by "Doc" Gundersen with a sword in it. I'm pretty sure that Doc is long gone. Before anyone gets too excited I'm not advocating a sword cane and in most states they are illegal to carry. It's a stout cane even with out the sword inside, regards, Mike

"The secret of happiness is freedom, and the secret of freedom, courage"...Thucyides

"War is sweet to those who do not know it."...Erasmus
Go to Top of Page

Pip

USA
212 Posts

Posted - October 15 2017 :  11:14:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rick,
Thanks for the reply - apologies for the typo! The comments were a big help. Decision made!!!! Thanks again . . .

Regards,

Pip
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.45seconds. Snitz Forums 2000