Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - .357 VS .40 S&W and .38 Super
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Stopping Power
 Stopping Power
 .357 VS .40 S&W and .38 Super
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Anibal
Starting Member

Mexico
22 Posts

Posted - October 04 2005 :  7:08:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is there any really advantage of the .357 Sig caliber over the .40 S&W and the .38 Super?

Anibal
Forgive me if my English is not good enough.

GLV

USA
8866 Posts

Posted - October 04 2005 :  7:34:07 PM  Show Profile  Send GLV an ICQ Message  Send GLV a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
IMO, no.

For the person who reloads, the Sig is at a disadvantage.

If you do a search, you will find a long thread on the .357 Sig round.

'the world is round everywhere'

'The meek will inherit the earth, but only after the last soldier has left it to them in his will'
Go to Top of Page

chief

USA
234 Posts

Posted - October 04 2005 :  7:52:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Amen to the reloading problems! I prefer the .40, simply because it is a good compromise.

Chief
Go to Top of Page

Jim Higginbotham

USA
7935 Posts

Posted - October 05 2005 :  09:26:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I always thought that you could blow the .357 Sig case out straight and put a .40 caliber bullet in it to improve it

But seriously, about the only thing I could think of is that you can get Super 38 or 4" .357 ballistics out of a handgun on the 9mm frame size if that is something you are impressed with.

Years (and I do mean years) ago I looked into the .38/45. Several friends had one. It looked to me like it was more trouble than it was worth for someone who shot a good bit. For the handgun hunter who might load 100 rounds a year, it might be worth it.

But for the guy who shoots only factory the disadvantage is cost, recoil and blast.

Onward,
Jim

Get the Weaponcraft Journal on Amazon Kindle!
Go to Top of Page

Evan
Administrator

32517 Posts

Posted - October 05 2005 :  09:30:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
they all can be used successfully to defend yourself. The .357 SIG does seem to do better against cars than others, but I would carry what you shoot best-.38 Super doesn't have as many loads as others, but Cor Bon DPX should work well.

"The greatest thing a Father can do for his children is to love their Mother."

Harold B. Lee

Go to Top of Page

El Cid

USA
65 Posts

Posted - October 05 2005 :  09:57:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On a related subject... what about 400 Corbon? I have always been intrigued by that cartridge, but haven't heard much feedback from the street.
Go to Top of Page

Evan
Administrator

32517 Posts

Posted - October 05 2005 :  09:59:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
never saw a shooting with it

Harold B. Lee

Go to Top of Page

bigbadwolf
Advanced Member

USA
1636 Posts

Posted - October 05 2005 :  4:29:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I personally never thought of the .38 Super as a defensive round until recently. I just thought it was for IPSC shooters who wanted less recoil and faster times in their "race guns".

"Better a warrior in the garden than a gardener at war"
-Japanese proverb
Go to Top of Page

GLV

USA
8866 Posts

Posted - October 05 2005 :  5:12:19 PM  Show Profile  Send GLV an ICQ Message  Send GLV a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I do not feel underarmed with any of the Cor Bon ammo in 38 Super/9X23, and often carry a SA in that caliber.

'The meek will inherit the earth, but only after the last soldier has left it to them in his will'
Go to Top of Page

chp5

661 Posts

Posted - October 06 2005 :  08:58:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you you reload, the .40 better because it's not a bottleneck case like the .357 Sig. Also .40 brass is cheap. The .38 Super brass is VERY expensive - around $90 a thousand! That's why all the .38 Super Open shooters are looking for their brass after each stage.

If you don't reload, then factory 40 ammo for practice is still cheaper than .357 Sig or .38 Super.

Edited by - chp5 on October 06 2005 09:00:00 AM
Go to Top of Page

bigbadwolf
Advanced Member

USA
1636 Posts

Posted - October 07 2005 :  6:14:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GLV

I do not feel underarmed with any of the Cor Bon ammo in 38 Super/9X23, and often carry a SA in that caliber.

So, .38 Super and 9X23 are the same round! Well, you learn something new every day!

-Japanese proverb
Go to Top of Page

Evan
Administrator

32517 Posts

Posted - October 07 2005 :  6:19:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
no, but some .38 Supers will feed and shoot 9X21 without alteration, like my EAA Witness.

Harold B. Lee

Go to Top of Page

GLV

USA
8866 Posts

Posted - October 07 2005 :  7:32:04 PM  Show Profile  Send GLV an ICQ Message  Send GLV a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Simple explanation is 38Super is a semi rimmed case [small rim] and the 9X23 is rimless. The 9X23 brass is heavier and supposed to support higher pressures, and may be a few thousands longer.

Normally a gun that cartridge headspaces on cartridge mouth rather than the rim, will handle both, but refer to a gunsmith or manufacturer to be sure.

Go to Top of Page

Anibal
Starting Member

Mexico
22 Posts

Posted - October 07 2005 :  9:58:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a question:
When you said 9X23, I think you meant 9X23 Winchester, Did You?.
Because there is another 9X23: the 9mm Largo (9mm Bermann Bayard).

Anibal.

Edited by - Anibal on October 07 2005 10:01:37 PM
Go to Top of Page

GLV

USA
8866 Posts

Posted - October 07 2005 :  10:06:51 PM  Show Profile  Send GLV an ICQ Message  Send GLV a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, 9X23 Winchester.

Go to Top of Page

SIGP226

75 Posts

Posted - October 10 2005 :  08:27:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love the 357 SIG and see it as superior to 40 and 38 Super for general duty/self defense use. First, as Evan says, it is better on cars and barriers, as it has more energy. Second, it is flatter shooting for more accuracy at longer ranges. Third, it duplicates a winner in stopping power, the 357 magnum, (in some loadings with full size guns), as Evan and Sanow's book attests. Fourth, it is bottlenecked so at least theoretically it feeds bettwe. Finally, now that Wallyworld and chains like Academy carry it, it is widely available. While reloading it is probably more of a chore than with the others, and practice ammo is more expensive, I agree with Sanow (and Evan, if he did write that part of the book) that the 357 SIG is the police cartridge of the future. I think I have secured permission from my agency to qualify and carry this round in my SIG P226 in place of 40 S&W, and am very pleased.
Go to Top of Page

Evan
Administrator

32517 Posts

Posted - October 10 2005 :  08:53:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
no, I carry a SIG P229 in .40 and SA XD in .45 GAP as a second gun, with a Ruger SP-101 as a 3rd

Harold B. Lee

Go to Top of Page

SIGP226

75 Posts

Posted - October 10 2005 :  9:15:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Evan:

Could you please tell me why one would not carry the 357 SIG over the 40 S&W if ammo availability isn't a problem? This isn't rhetorical or argumentative, just an honest question as I thought that if this cartridge can give us 357 magnum ballistics with 40 recoil and gun size, why not carry it? I recognize that the cartridges (40 and 357) are probably close, but do the advantages of the 357 over the 40 offset the disadvantages, or vice versa? Am I wrong in choosing it over the 40 and trying to convince others to switch? In your book and Sanow's book, it seems like the cartridge has a glowing endorsement and I really would like to know what you personally think, as I grow concerned that I am misinterpreting, misquoting, and potentially offending you. Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

Martindog

196 Posts

Posted - October 10 2005 :  9:15:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't get the reloading comments. I know guys who load the Sig using a .40 S&W carbide die followed up with a .357 steel die, problem solved. They don't bother lubing either. If they want to, they download a bit for practice, say 1250 fps w/125 grain bullet. Save wear&tear on gun. Kind of a Sig reloader's approach to cheap, softer practice ammo that still approximates duty loads closely enough. Much better than loading +P's in a 9mm for duty, but practicing with low powered stuff. But 9mm's aren't the topic here so I digressed.

.40's are good, but when you are comparing the two, assuming you'd be reloading either of them, there's no real difference between the two, at least not anything significant enough that can't be very easily overcome. If you insist on buying OTC, then .40 is cheaper though, and that factor alone should allow you to practice more.
Go to Top of Page

Terry

USA
5481 Posts

Posted - October 10 2005 :  11:57:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SIGP226

Evan:

Could you please tell me why one would not carry the 357 SIG over the 40 S&W if ammo availability isn't a problem? This isn't rhetorical or argumentative, just an honest question as I thought that if this cartridge can give us 357 magnum ballistics with 40 recoil and gun size, why not carry it?

Not Evan but I have tried the 357 SIG VS 40 S&W, in my own carry gun, the G23.

I just couldn't shoot it as well as the 40. It's a personal thing as many others have found just the opposite.

Shooting well comes first.

"Simplicity is the last step of art, and the beginning of nature" Bruce Lee
von hier an blind
Go to Top of Page

bigbadwolf
Advanced Member

USA
1636 Posts

Posted - October 11 2005 :  01:38:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I shot the .357 Sig very well in my friend's new duty gun, ad Springfield XD. It had quite the muzzle flash, more so, I do believe, than my .357 mag K-frame snubby, but I liked it, and the gun I was shooting. The cost of ammo in that round is the biggest prohibition for myself.

-Japanese proverb
Go to Top of Page

GLV

USA
8866 Posts

Posted - October 11 2005 :  4:57:26 PM  Show Profile  Send GLV an ICQ Message  Send GLV a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I too have shot the .357 Sig, and did not like the concussion effect from short barreled gun.

I mentioned reloading--and Martindog, you confirmed one of my objections.

Separate step in sizing in order avoid lubing--which may or may not work. Stuck case in steel dies are real fun. Is there a 'neck size' die available in .357 Sig?

If above works fine, two sizing operations would require a 5 station press, or a completely separate operation.

Next is the necessity of very carefully making sure there is sufficient 'bullet pull resistance' to keep from having bullet setback.

Last, very easy to load 9MM to +P for practice. I have been doing it for about 25 years.

All really a matter of personal choice. :)

Go to Top of Page

SavannahSteve

USA
660 Posts

Posted - October 11 2005 :  6:03:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
George,

I'm going to have to send you all of that 9mm brass I've been throwing away 'cause no one wants it.

Steve
Go to Top of Page

Robert Millard
Starting Member

22 Posts

Posted - October 11 2005 :  8:31:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like the .357 Sig round in a Sig 229. Iíve found that I shoot it better than I do a .40 in the same gun. One range I shoot at wonít allow reloads, so 50% of my shooting is with factory ammo
(Speer Lawman, which ain't cheap). Iím not put off by the reloading, since I enjoy it almost as much as I do shooting. I only lube about one in five cases, and have had no problems with stuck cases. Rainer bullets and Accurate No. 9, yields inexpensive highly accurate ammo.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-09 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.27seconds. Snitz Forums 2000