Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - H&S 2005
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Other
 Hoot & Shoot
 H&S 2005
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

ACP230
Advanced Member

1056 Posts

Posted - July 19 2005 :  09:20:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
E4E:
Well at least one of us gave in.

I figured I wouldn't function well in the heat after lugging my M1A down to the firing line for the Carbine Course, so sat it out. After taking on some more water, I did manage to go over and try "The Pop Test" (heavy, nasty Pepper Poppers) with my BHP and Smith M649 (together, and with ammo they weigh a lot less than my rifle). That was interesting and instructive.

I hope to beat the heat and shoot rifles next year.
Did get to take a shot with Russ's flinter. What a rifle! It not only looked good, but made me look good--which can be quite a job.

"Never part with your weapons when you are in the field. You never know when, on some lengthy plain, you may suddenly need your spear." Old Norse saying.
Go to Top of Page

Pitbull

2011 Posts

Posted - July 19 2005 :  10:14:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My hero of the Hoot& Shoot was George. He endured the heat like a trooper and kept on going strong. He's a tough "old school" guy and an absolute fun person to be around. George can find shade where their appears to be none, even on the target range in between relays. Smart old fella too!

Edited by - Pitbull on July 19 2005 10:16:06 PM
Go to Top of Page

E4E

USA
6451 Posts

Posted - July 20 2005 :  08:35:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ACP,

Ya didn't give in...

You did the smart thing, then reorganized and went at it on a different front.

Was good having you!!!
E4E

Keep the Rifle handy!
Go to Top of Page

Pitbull

2011 Posts

Posted - July 20 2005 :  7:21:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ACP, Pat is right on target with what he said. It was the smart thing to do and was "not" about giving in. Everybody reacts different to different things. Some days the body may not be quite as ready for the heat, cold, ect. Things like lack of sleep, not quite being up to par that day, dehydration, and lot of other factors known and unknown come into play.

ACP, I found out George was using my wide glide shadow for shade to stand in. And here I thought he just wanted to hang out with me at the Hoot & Shoot.

Edited by - Pitbull on July 20 2005 7:23:52 PM
Go to Top of Page

GLV

USA
8866 Posts

Posted - July 20 2005 :  7:33:31 PM  Show Profile  Send GLV an ICQ Message  Send GLV a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Oh well

'the world is round everywhere'

'The meek will inherit the earth, but only after the last soldier has left it to them in his will'
Go to Top of Page

Keith
Advanced Member

USA
2826 Posts

Posted - July 21 2005 :  11:08:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You know...when the training is interesting, people tend to get out there and take it all in regardless of how hot (or cold) it might be. I was really impressed with the fact that I didn't hear the first complaint (not to say that it wasn't "acknowledged" frequently) regarding the temperatures. I'm grateful too that only about 60% of the attendees slept through my class.

I sure hope that everybody soaked up the tactical and gun-handling skills, especially the ones purveyed by Jim Higginbotham and Pat (E4E) Eddinger. Very often when a confrontation goes south, your "plan" will go right along with it...and all you'll have then will be the basic move-and-shoot skills you've internalized. That's why those simple, streamlined skills Jim and Pat teach are so important.

Keith
Go to Top of Page

Pitbull

2011 Posts

Posted - July 21 2005 :  11:27:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Keith, I guarantee nobody took a snooze during your class! With the "Outstanding Instructors" like You, Jim Higgingbotham and Pat Eddinger teaching weaponcraft, marksmanship, and survival tactics, that just is not possible for anyone serious about learning.

Edited by - Pitbull on July 21 2005 11:29:24 PM
Go to Top of Page

Keith
Advanced Member

USA
2826 Posts

Posted - July 22 2005 :  09:48:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for your kindness, Ernie, but some people have perfected the art of sleeping with their eyes open. Several of my ex's were especially adept at it. Some, like Dr. Liv and Mrs. Keeb, sort of zone out with their eyes open and start mouth-breathing...but others can really fool you. You might wanna watch Godzilla for the same stunt.

Keith
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.2seconds. Snitz Forums 2000