Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - H&S 2005
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Other
 Hoot & Shoot
 H&S 2005
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

n/a
deleted

3224 Posts

Posted - January 17 2005 :  08:11:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Notice to all !!!

We have set July 16 & 17 2005 for the Hoot & Shoot, with an informal reception Friday evening, July 15th for those arriving early. Please mark your calenders; this years event will be bigger, better and even more fun for all.

Same rules will apply regarding alcohol ( none is allowed), gun safety ( guns in holsters except at firing line) and Moonpies ( Evan isn't allowed any )

Hope to see you all there,
Jim H

** Edited to clarify dates - Matt Marshall

Keeb

USA
1320 Posts

Posted - January 17 2005 :  10:03:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jim,
Is there a link with details and or a phone number for signing up?
Thanks.
Keeb

Edited by - Keeb on January 17 2005 10:05:06 PM
Go to Top of Page

Terry

USA
5481 Posts

Posted - January 17 2005 :  11:47:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think the link at the top of this page, titled "Hoot & Shoot", provides most of the information.

"Simplicity is the last step of art, and the beginning of nature" Bruce Lee
von hier an blind
Go to Top of Page

Matt Marshall
Administrator

USA
718 Posts

Posted - January 19 2005 :  1:47:59 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Matt Marshall's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I'll plan on touching base with Jim & my Dad to gather all the details settled on to date and put it up on the H&S pages of this site.

Matt
Go to Top of Page

Keeb

USA
1320 Posts

Posted - January 19 2005 :  10:03:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Matt.
Keeb
Go to Top of Page

A. Miguel - BR
Average Member

Brazil
407 Posts

Posted - January 27 2005 :  08:43:03 AM  Show Profile  Send A. Miguel - BR an ICQ Message  Click to see A. Miguel - BR's MSN Messenger address  Send A. Miguel - BR a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Ok, my vacations were approved for July 10 to 20th. Questions:
1- What kind of Visa I will need? A tourist visa will be ok or do I have to apply for a special one, like business or student?
2- I am planning to go to Chicago, then to Watervillet. Is this the best route?
3- Will a Brazilian Drivers License be accepted in the US? Will I be able to rent a car?
4- I intend to go on July 9 and stay until 19th. Aside from the Hoot and Shoot is there any thing a tourist on vacation could do? Or I will have to spend some time in Disneyland?

Brazil. Thats where all the nuts come from.

gnthi seauton - mden agan
Go to Top of Page

ACP230
Advanced Member

1056 Posts

Posted - January 27 2005 :  09:31:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What do you like to do?

There's an air museum in Kalamazoo and another outside Detroit.
Greenfield Village near Detroit has a lot of Ford stuff. I haven't been to either, but hear good things about them.
There's good fishing all over Michigan and you can buy a short term out-of-state license.

The western side of the state has a lot of good scenery. Not always as nice as the U.P. where I live, but worth looking at anyway. A trip alongside Lake Michigan might be interesting.
In Chicago there's the Chicago Institute Of The Arts, and in Detroit there's another art museum whose name escapes me at the moment.

Cabela's in Dundee isn't too far off. It's one of the largest and most elaborate sporting goods stores in the world. I got there once and found a nickel M58. I plan to go back the next time I get all the way downstate.

"Never part with your weapons when you are in the field. You never know when, on some lengthy plain, you may suddenly need your spear." Old Norse saying.
Go to Top of Page

Evan
Administrator

34115 Posts

Posted - January 27 2005 :  9:41:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
contact the US Embassy to get accurate info. let us know what you need in the way of guns and bring your police credentials so we have a way of verifying who you are. We will be happy to loan you guns to use on site thugh it would not be legal to carry off the range.

Greenfield Village and Henry Ford Musuem are next to each other and are quite interesting

"The greatest thing a Father can do for his children is to love their Mother."

Harold B. Lee

Go to Top of Page

Terry

USA
5481 Posts

Posted - January 28 2005 :  12:37:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Miguel, you're coming to the US to enjoy yourself in the company of friends that you haven't yet met. There's no reason to make it more complicated; me entiendes?

Enquire with the embassy about driver's licenses. I think you may need an international one. I don't know what the procedure is in Brazil, but I believe it's basically paperwork.

As far as the other things go, I'll let the "natives to the area" speak.

"Simplicity is the last step of art, and the beginning of nature" Bruce Lee
von hier an blind
Go to Top of Page

A. Miguel - BR
Average Member

Brazil
407 Posts

Posted - January 28 2005 :  07:49:52 AM  Show Profile  Send A. Miguel - BR an ICQ Message  Click to see A. Miguel - BR's MSN Messenger address  Send A. Miguel - BR a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Checked the US Embassy web site. It seems that Ill need a business visa. Theres nothing about drivers licenses.
Evan: my police ID will be enough? I intend to take it with me because it will make things easier when Im back in Brazil. If you need anything else, let me know so Ill provide it in advance.

Best regards,

Miguel

Go to Top of Page

Evan
Administrator

34115 Posts

Posted - January 28 2005 :  08:03:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
letter on dept letter head stating you are an officer in good standing signed by a supervisor of chief. let us know a couple of months in advance and we'll line guns, holsters, etc, up

Harold B. Lee

Go to Top of Page

nsmike

644 Posts

Posted - January 28 2005 :  4:04:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Miguel,
You need to get an Intenational drivers license. Its really just a translation of your Brazilian license so there's no test or anything just a couple of passport photos and a fee. Here I can get one through the American Automobile Association, the Brazilian equivelent would be a good place to start. Another possibility is to check with Hertz online, they have good instruction when going from the US overseas, I bet it is also good in reverse.
Mike

Edited by - nsmike on January 28 2005 4:05:50 PM
Go to Top of Page

E4E

USA
6451 Posts

Posted - January 29 2005 :  02:21:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Miguel,

If you stay in South Haven, you will find no end of tourista delights.

Beaches. We gots two of em!!!! One north of the piers, and one south!!!

White sand and fresh water...with no worries over toothy fish!

Fishing charters are available for Perch, Salmon, Lake Trout, Skamania/Steelhead(Variant of big lake Rainbow Trout on Steroids!), and of course the occaisional Carp that gets snagged.

If you bring the better half, she likely will enjoy a sunset dinner cruise on one of the local Boats that offer such things.

Heading East will land you in Kalamazoo.
They have one of the finest Aircraft Museums in the country.

Further east there is Detroit, about 4 hours travel by auto.
All manner of culture and museums.

Heading southwest by about 4 hours there is Chicago......

The Museum of natual history, and the Shedd Aquarium is to be appreciated first hand.
I hate Chicago and dread passing through there every time, but the folks down there have a great thing going on with the Museums and is worth the time to visit.

Also....
American Blues.

Buddy Guy's Legends Blues club, Kingston downs.
If you enjoy outragiously good Blues, Chicago is tough to beat.

I would reccomend Buddys place first.
4 star Cajun chow, small club, and frequently there are world famous Musicians in and amoung the patrons that join in with the act on the small and intimate stage.
( I had Jhonny lang sitting at the table next to me 2 years ago)

Chicago is what it is.

From South haven and heading north....

There ain't a whole lot of anything but Farms and citys of folks that are pretty much happy to be out of the limelight, and Hardwood forrests.

If you're into trees and such, just head north.

If not, take a gander on the way to Ludington. There you can hop the Car Ferry to Manitowoc Wisconsin. It takes about 4.5 Hours to cross the lake.
From there you are in Dairy land. Cheese, Cheese, and more cheese!!
Also there are the Wisconsin Dells.
Natural formations from glacial retreat seen from a boat while in a rather "Disney" atmosphere.

Heading south puts you in Milwaukee.
Known pretty much for two things.
Beer, and Harley Davidson Motorcycles.

They have museums, art and all that stuff.

And only about 2 hours north of Chicago.

If you plan it right, you can make a big circle, and end up back in Chicago.

My E-mail is currently fried but will be fixed soon.

Holler at me in about 2 weeks, and I'll send you some links and all that.

Good ta hear you're gonna make it!
E4E

Keep the Rifle handy!
Go to Top of Page

John_Ford
Average Member

374 Posts

Posted - January 29 2005 :  3:34:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nsmike

Miguel,
You need to get an Intenational drivers license. Its really just a translation of your Brazilian license so there's no test or anything just a couple of passport photos and a fee. Here I can get one through the American Automobile Association, the Brazilian equivelent would be a good place to start. Another possibility is to check with Hertz online, they have good instruction when going from the US overseas, I bet it is also good in reverse.
Mike

Slight correction on that. It is an International driving permit and can be obtained through your local Auto Association. I get mine through AAA when I go overseas. Actually Brazil is a member of the Pan American Agreement and All you need is your Drivers Credentials but the Driving Permit takes a lot of guesswork out of any contacts you may have with local Law Enforcement. Most State (Not all) Cops are pretty up on it but don't count on small town LE to be as well versed. I am pretty close to Sodom on Potomic and Gamorrah on Hudson so am used to dealing with stray diplomats.
Go to Top of Page

A. Miguel - BR
Average Member

Brazil
407 Posts

Posted - January 31 2005 :  6:27:03 PM  Show Profile  Send A. Miguel - BR an ICQ Message  Click to see A. Miguel - BR's MSN Messenger address  Send A. Miguel - BR a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Ok, Ill get the international permit with our Brazilian Auto Associatio. Checked it, its pretty simple.
Pat: Im well into the blues AND motorcicles. It would be perfect to rent a bike to travel around Chicago. I do not enjoy much fishing, so Ill leave your trouts alone. It seems weird to go fishing anything smaller than a grown man, but, alas!, each land has its own traditions...
Evan: is it ok if I send you the Chiefs letter by mail? Then if you need something else you just ask. Ill feel more comfortable if everything is set in advance, so we wont have anything to solve when Im away from home. Another thing: there is a small chance of getting part of my expenses paid by the Police Department, if I get official approvation to go, as part of professional training opportunities that are offered here. Is it possible to get some material to back my request? Things like training plans or class plans and so on?

Looking forward to meet all you guys!

Miguel

Go to Top of Page

Jeepzilla

203 Posts

Posted - January 31 2005 :  7:03:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't want to be a wet blanket, but please re-think using a motorcycle as transportation in Chicago. Most likely suicide. Get a car for city driving. Better yet, go by taxi. Parking is always expensive and you spend lots of time looking for space. OTOH, bike would be perfect for country-side site-seeing in Michigan. Very beautiful there.
Go to Top of Page

NukemJim
Average Member

461 Posts

Posted - January 31 2005 :  9:28:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Don't want to be a wet blanket, but please re-think using a motorcycle as transportation in Chicago. Most likely suicide. Get a car for city driving. Better yet, go by taxi. Parking is always expensive and you spend lots of time looking for space."

As someone who lives (unfortunetly :( ) in Chicago I agree wholeheartedly with the above.

NukemJim

" Half of being smart is knowing what you are dumb at "
Go to Top of Page

E4E

USA
6451 Posts

Posted - January 31 2005 :  9:40:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Miguel,

Gotta agree with Jeepzilla.

Motorcycles in chicago are known by another name.

"Speedbumps".

If you want to rent a bike and do some riding, do it here in Michigan or Wisconsin.
Lots of wonderfull safe riding amoung sane and carefull drivers.

Chicago is absolutely insane on the roads, and the place seems to have been designed to cause the most effective amount of death and carnage for any drivers error.
It's Bad, and worse than can be conceived of unless experienced.

Recently drove through in the Jeep at off peak traffic time, and it still was akin to the terror of getting out of a frozen lake and back to a warming fire in time.

It's no place for visiting friends with good intentions, on a Motorcycle.
Hell itself has taken notes from Chicago's roadways in humility.

Rent the Bike here or in Wisconsin. Enjoy the natural wonders of the countryside, and from there rent a car to get to Chicago, and use the public transportation to get around and back to the Airport.

Buddys place is within Minuites of safe and clean hotels that are very near the lake shore, museums, and places of interest.

For a completely disarmed and supposedly safe place, Chicago is exteremely dangerous and violent in some areas.

E4E

Keep the Rifle handy!
Go to Top of Page

Evan
Administrator

34115 Posts

Posted - February 04 2005 :  1:30:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
again, it you want to participate in one of the specialized course but lack a carbine or shotgun don't let that prevent you from attending cause we'll find you a loaner-just let us know and bring some ammo-no reloads

Harold B. Lee

Go to Top of Page

A. Miguel - BR
Average Member

Brazil
407 Posts

Posted - February 04 2005 :  4:49:55 PM  Show Profile  Send A. Miguel - BR an ICQ Message  Click to see A. Miguel - BR's MSN Messenger address  Send A. Miguel - BR a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Ok Evan. Anyway Ill need to buy the ammo in the US. I can get some 5.56 boxes here for free, but Im really afraid of some misunderstanding on the customs.

Evan: I think you didnt notice my question: Would it be ok to send credentials to you in advance, via mail, so if you need anything else I can get before I leave? Other thing: All the documents will be in Portuguese. Do you want official translation (Ill need to get this in advance) or will you be able to read the necessary info (if you understand Spanish you probably will be ok with Portuguese).

Pat and Jeepzilla: I really want to get a bike to ride before the Hoot and Shoot, simply because it will be the "once in a lifetime" thing. When the time comes Ill email you so I can help me to work in a good and safe route. I lived in So Paulo ten years (10 million people, about 4 million cars, 100+ km of traffic jam everyday, the full total caos) and always had a bike. But I do not want to stress, but to have a good time and some fun. So Ill keep out of Chicago with the bike.

Best regards,

Miguel

Go to Top of Page

Evan
Administrator

34115 Posts

Posted - February 04 2005 :  4:56:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
creds in advance?, yes-I emailed you an address to send it to. plenty of folks at Church who served as Mormon Missionaries in you homeland

Harold B. Lee

Go to Top of Page

TeamCorbon

USA
679 Posts

Posted - February 04 2005 :  9:44:03 PM  Show Profile  Send TeamCorbon a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Miguel,

I'll cover your ammo for courses at the Hoot & Shoot. (as long as it's in calibers that we make!). E mail me and let me know what calibers you will be using. Mike@CORBON.com

Mike Shovel
Vice President/Public and Media Relations
COR-BON/Glaser
Mike@CORBON.com
412-496-0428
Go to Top of Page

Jeepzilla

203 Posts

Posted - February 04 2005 :  11:03:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Miguel, I am relieved. Never doubted your own skill and expertise. It is all those other wackos out there who don't pay attention. Besides, you'll SEE so much more if you don't have to mind traffic. Take the Architectural Boat Tour...go to the top of the Sears Tower...eat at the Chicago Chop House (the surf and turf special is terrific!)...visit the Harley store in the north end and buy your T-shirt...stroll the Magnificent Mile...
Go to Top of Page

E4E

USA
6451 Posts

Posted - February 06 2005 :  12:06:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Miguel,

In case you havn't noticed......

Just get the creds to Evan.

The logistics of the hardware are covered after that.

American drivers are NOT what you are used to there are at home.

Will look into a rental agency here locally so's you can lock on a bike during the visit.

Have visited many european and third world country's and the drivers in Chicago are many times over worse than any other.

I do not doubt your abilitys on 2 wheels. I deeply regret the mentality of the Idiots in Chicago as to their respect of a visiting friend.

This Computer gets unplugged tomorrow.

Will have E-mail within the week.

Holler at me.

You will be covered.

E4E

Keep the Rifle handy!
Go to Top of Page

wolfram
Average Member

USA
303 Posts

Posted - February 06 2005 :  3:17:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Has a price been set yet for this year's H&S?

Carl
Go to Top of Page

Evan
Administrator

34115 Posts

Posted - February 06 2005 :  3:33:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
not yet-soon

Harold B. Lee

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page