StoppingPower.net Forums
Home
Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - RLS. Progress report.
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Other
 Hoot & Shoot
 RLS. Progress report.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

E4E

USA
6451 Posts

Posted - September 01 2004 :  12:43:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
RLS,

Here's the gig.

Weekly at least.

Report in, and report the progress.

Accept the fact that we most likely will be busting your chops here and there about Hawaiian P.J.'s and wether or not you have managed to dry fire a blister on the trigger finger yet.

Do you have an E.T.T.R (Estimated time to Range) yet?

I just KNOW you are dry firing with the recovery time available!!!

Also, I have a question.
What color Fuzzy slippers match a Hawaiian bathrobe?

Kick this thing in the Keester!!!!!

Don't be a stranger!
E4E

Keep the Rifle handy!

RLS

USA
691 Posts

Posted - September 01 2004 :  2:07:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
E4E,

Saw the family Doctor last week (1st time in about 11 years). The Doc was surprised that I have made as much progress as I have. Tomorrow I see the local cardiologist. I am hoping for a good report and a reduction in medications. Hopefully, I can make plans for hitting the range next week. I have a Bushmaster I need to become familiar with after almost two years.

I walk about 3/4s of a mile several days a week. My left foot is still swollen. I even had to let my left sandal out a notch to put it somewhat comfortably on.

I was fortunate in that my wife left my .45 in the luggage and it did not get sent to Ohio for safe keeping. I have been dry firing, but no blisters so far.

As for fuzzy slippers...Moosehide moccassins are what I wear when i can get away with it. I wear Hawaiian shirts when the weather permits because of they are big and loose and hide things well, like a fat belly, as well as a .45 and a .38. Do follow Hawaiian philosophy, but have not ever, or expect to in the future, possessed/worn Hawaiian PJs or bathrobe.

In the words of Emile Couč, "Everyday, in every way, I am getting better and better."

Rick
Go to Top of Page

E4E

USA
6451 Posts

Posted - September 02 2004 :  12:30:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No Blisters!!!!??

You obviously aren't watching enough CNN News! ;)

Great report.
Keep at it, and know the gang is pulling for ya!!

I like the Hawaiian shirt advantages, just can't seem to get used to the feeling that I am not "Blending well" amoung all the Preppies and Plaid clad that are predominant around here.

I saw a pair of the warmest looking slippers that came in Neon Blue, green, and Red the other day, and thought maybe they would go well with a Hawaiian Patterned wool bathrobe for winter.

See how ya are! ;)

Sandals come January ain't gonna WORK!!

Keep on beating this thing.
We need your input, insight, and perspective.
Even if you're no help with fashion advice!

All the best to the whole clan!
E4E

Keep the Rifle handy!
Go to Top of Page

RLS

USA
691 Posts

Posted - September 10 2004 :  11:12:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hard to type with E4E twisting my arm here, but I'll give it a shot....Have been fighting an infection in left leg where veins were harvested. I have been hobbling around for the past week. The right leg is doing real well. Lateral movement practice is being done, but at a speed that is akin to slo-mo.

Had a stress test Wednesday. Didn't have to do the treadmill on account of my leg. Just received results. There is an improvement in the Ejection Percentage. Was at 30%, now at 42%. A step in the right direction.

Cardiologist said I wouldn't feel "normal" until the six month mark. No one that knows me has considered me normal ....

Rick

Edited by - RLS on September 10 2004 11:57:03 AM
Go to Top of Page

E4E

USA
6451 Posts

Posted - September 11 2004 :  03:16:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rick,

Knew a girl in Elementary school with the last name of "Normal"

Her first name was "Abigail".

We all called her "Abbey".

She could beat all us boys in arm wrestling and worm eating.

Cool chick!!!!

Nothing wrong with being "Abby Normal"!! ;)

It has it's advantages.

Mind the worms that don't move so well, they taste funny.;)

Keep kicking this thing in the Keester!
E4E

Keep the Rifle handy!
Go to Top of Page

NukemJim
Average Member

461 Posts

Posted - September 11 2004 :  08:53:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
RLS, hang in there. My dad complained of more pain and trouble with his leg than his chest when he had his bypass. :( Took a while but the leg did heal. Hope it gets better soon.

NukemJim

PS The magazine carriets have found a happy home in the Para neighborhood of my gun room Thank again :)

" Half of being smart is knowing what you are dumb at "
Go to Top of Page

GLV

USA
8866 Posts

Posted - September 12 2004 :  9:30:51 PM  Show Profile  Send GLV an ICQ Message  Send GLV a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Rick, those infections can be a pain, and my Doc just gave me the stuff to clean out the incision a couple of times a day, but he knew I was an EMT. Took about 10 days to completely clear up.

Rick, I think 'normal' is much more a state of mind than anything else. Hang in there. George

'the world is round everywhere'

'The meek will inherit the earth, but only after the last soldier has left it to them in his will'
Go to Top of Page

RLS

USA
691 Posts

Posted - September 12 2004 :  10:57:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for your thoughts.

It seems I detect a noticeable improvement every other day.

George, I have always condsidered myself to be the normal one, it is other people who I worry about...

Rick
Go to Top of Page

Dr Liv

1613 Posts

Posted - September 13 2004 :  5:29:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rick,
Glad to hear you're able to get out shooting. It helped me a lot to have something I could do when I was recovering from an injury - made me feel like I wasn't totally under the weather. (Even when I couldn't walk to the mailbox I could prop myself up at a range station and clobber paper targets - felt good!)

Keep up the good attitude!

Liv
Go to Top of Page

RLS

USA
691 Posts

Posted - September 18 2004 :  10:09:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rick reporting in as ordered by E4E...

Dr Liv,
Shooting is therapy. Good for what ails you. It beats the dickens out of golf.

To all,

Had a visit with the family physician this week. He was pleased with progress, enough so, to say come back in 4 months. Will have to see what the cardioligist has to say Monday. He should give me some direction for cardiac rehab.

Rick
Go to Top of Page

Evan
Administrator

34116 Posts

Posted - September 18 2004 :  10:18:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
keep it up-just "celebrated" the 2nd anniversy of mine, loading a truck with cases of 5.56MM!

"The greatest thing a Father can do for his children is to love their Mother."

Harold B. Lee

Go to Top of Page

GLV

USA
8866 Posts

Posted - September 18 2004 :  4:13:55 PM  Show Profile  Send GLV an ICQ Message  Send GLV a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Rick, cardiac rehab, if your surgery is to last, will be a lifetime effort. My 6 bypasses are approaching 15 years old, and I work out daily.

Is it worth all of the effort--definate yes for me.

'The meek will inherit the earth, but only after the last soldier has left it to them in his will'
Go to Top of Page

E4E

USA
6451 Posts

Posted - September 19 2004 :  9:14:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
RLS,

4 Months?!!!!!
And you ain't training for the next Marathon? ;)

Listen closely to GLV.

I think I could take him with enough pre-planned treachery, and if the angles are right...and I'm like 20 years (Closer to 30!) younger.

I for one am taking notes.

Make sure the Doc understands.
You ain't normal, and will kick this thing square in the Keester if he gives you the intell.
From there assault it like the enemy it is.!!!!!!

Still ain't heard you mention blisters from the dry firing.

Don't make me snitch you out to Tom Givens!!!

Maintain the progress, and realize you may have to step things up a notch.

Good to have ya doing so well.
We all appreciate it!

Good folks are getting dadgum hard to find.

E4E

Keep the Rifle handy!
Go to Top of Page

RLS

USA
691 Posts

Posted - September 23 2004 :  5:05:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am scheduled to start cardiac rehab next week. Three times a week, an hour each time.

I have a Bushmaster I have to monkey with and a case of ammo to boot. Due to weight restrictions on lifting, I'll have to break open the case and take a few boxes at a time.

I walk close to a mile for a newspaper in the mornings, passing the home delivery truck in the process.

No blisters to report.

Thank you for your support, my friends.

Rick
Go to Top of Page

GLV

USA
8866 Posts

Posted - September 23 2004 :  9:15:26 PM  Show Profile  Send GLV an ICQ Message  Send GLV a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Rick, sounds if you are on the right 'track'. Walking is a great exercise, but remember, it is also wise to carry a bit of weight on the belt :-).

Go to Top of Page

GLV

USA
8866 Posts

Posted - October 03 2004 :  11:24:35 PM  Show Profile  Send GLV an ICQ Message  Send GLV a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Rick, where are you? Have not had an update this week. Looking forward to the latest news. George

Go to Top of Page

RLS

USA
691 Posts

Posted - October 04 2004 :  09:33:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
George,

Thanks for asking. I have been carrying a bit of weight on the belt. I had to purchase a new (Wilderness Tactical) belt, too. A size smaller, at that.

As for the update, my employer sent me for an indepenent evaluation this past Friday. One of my physicians in Michigan had me scheduled to return to work November 1st. The cardioligist I was sent to Friday reported that I am currently unable to work and to continue with my private physician's guidance. Looks as though I start back to work November 1.

Next update will be late next week. I have to retrieve some equipment that was secured in Ohio during my extended stay in Michigan. Off the diuretic now, so I won't have to stop every hour as I did coming home from Michigan.

Rick

Edited by - RLS on October 05 2004 09:58:26 AM
Go to Top of Page

GLV

USA
8866 Posts

Posted - October 04 2004 :  3:36:47 PM  Show Profile  Send GLV an ICQ Message  Send GLV a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds good Rick, keep working at it, and keep us informed. New smaller belt is a good thing. Remember, rehab is a long term commitment. George

Go to Top of Page

RLS

USA
691 Posts

Posted - October 15 2004 :  11:05:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Plans changed. Daughter was hospitalized for two days, so I stayed home, wife went to Ohio. Wife kind enough to bring home my gear. Daughter and gear doing well. What a relief.

I am doing well. Carrying extra weight around the waist outside the home. Two more weeks and back to work.

Rick
Go to Top of Page

GLV

USA
8866 Posts

Posted - October 15 2004 :  8:26:13 PM  Show Profile  Send GLV an ICQ Message  Send GLV a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Good to hear Rick. Glad Ohio finally joined the league of 'informed' states. It will be nice to be legal the next time I visit Ohio.

Stay on top of the rehab--it has to be a top priority--see ya, George.

Go to Top of Page

E4E

USA
6451 Posts

Posted - October 15 2004 :  11:38:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rick,

I trust the Daughter is in good shape and on her way to a quick recovery.

Good to hear you are recovering on schedule as well.
The extra weight around the waist is good therapy.

No mention of blisters from dry firing.....
What with the debates being televised and all, I would suspect some Carpal tunnel forming, and knotted forearms!!!

Heck, I suspect I gotta replace a brand new recoil spring in the G-30!

Keep on path, spoil the Daughter for us, and know prayers are sent her way.

You, well, were gonna keep busting your chops every week untill you finally get ticked off and admit you have a pair of fuzzy purple slippers to match the Luau bathrobe! ;)

All the best to the whole Family.
Pat

Keep the Rifle handy!
Go to Top of Page

RLS

USA
691 Posts

Posted - November 11 2004 :  10:02:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No fuzzy purple slippers. No blisters from dry firing (I stop dry firing before I develop a blister so that I can use my digits in the event it become immediately necessary to utilize them to work my "waist weights").

The company sent me back to an independant physician in late October, said I could go back to work. My cardioligist said the end of October, and it worked out. I started back to work 11/01.

Doing some walking, taking the steps at work most of the time, but still run short on breath.
I was perfecting the art of hanging out at the local gun shop. Cleaned out some dust collectors and traded them for a lightly used Les Baer.

Been debating with myself whether a .45 ACP is the ticket for a cougar or take the .40 S&W revolver. Cougar sightings have been reported in the county, and when I venture out into the woods, I keep a look out.

That's all the news fit to print for now...

Rick
Go to Top of Page

GLV

USA
8866 Posts

Posted - November 12 2004 :  7:24:38 PM  Show Profile  Send GLV an ICQ Message  Send GLV a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Hang in there Rick, remember if you are going to walk around the world, you walk one step at a time!

Go to Top of Page

Evan
Administrator

34116 Posts

Posted - November 12 2004 :  8:29:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
2ns anniversary of my heart attack was mid-September. Had a stress test yesterday-heart efficiency is up to 97% and walked the tread mill until they turned it off-keep with it.

"The greatest thing a Father can do for his children is to love their Mother."

Harold B. Lee

Go to Top of Page

E4E

USA
6451 Posts

Posted - November 13 2004 :  02:37:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rick,

Good to hear you have added Cougar wrestling to the recovery regimen.;)

Keep at it!

Thought about the 40 vs. .45 dillema and then remembered that weight around the waist gets uncomfy unless it is balanced out.

Carry both!!!!
It's more comfortable, has some cardio benefits, and if you get to run down (I hear they are pretty quick, but you'll get there!) and 'rassle a cougar, you can provide data so's we all can know. ;)

One question though, it's gonna be tough to sneak up the Cat wearing the Don Ho fall collection.

Ya might have to go with something a bit subdued.

News on the daughter?
I hope she is doing well.

Keep at it, and remember that blisters heal.

E4E

Keep the Rifle handy!
Go to Top of Page

RLS

USA
691 Posts

Posted - November 14 2004 :  11:01:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
E4E,

Daughter doing well. Thank you for inquiring.

The Hawaiian shirts are on ice until the spring, when the temperature rises. Wearing a leather jacket for cougar bait. Settled on the Springfield Compact LW .45 ACP for the cougar trolling strolls in the great outdoors, the 45 fits my hand a lot better and is more than a trifle faster out of the holster. Besides, then I stay consistent with my carry gear. About balancing out the weight, well, with jacket weather here east of the Mason/Dixon Line, I am up to four pieces of firepower. Evan can be doubly proud of his influence.

The exercise regimen is coming along. I have taken to using an ankle weight whenever I leave the house. The wife has been most insistent on helping me with the exercise, so she takes me out shopping. I am lighter, not sure if it is me or my wallet.

I heard once that blisters are an aphrodisiac for passing wild felines, so I will pass on the blister idea.

Many Blessings
Rick
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.59seconds. Snitz Forums 2000