StoppingPower.net Forums
Home
Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - .270 caliber for hunting?
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Stopping Power
 Stopping Power
 .270 caliber for hunting?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

goldpan
Starting Member

USA
4 Posts

Posted - September 02 2002 :  8:50:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I live in kalifornia and new to hunting bigger game then rabbits. The biggest rifle I have is my AR in .223 I am going to hunt pig and possibly a deer now and again. I realy want a CZ 550 LUX in .270
Would this be a good caliber for all around hunting? Who makes a good stopping round in this caliber?

retiredsgt.
Starting Member

USA
14 Posts

Posted - September 02 2002 :  9:41:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, the .270 Winchester is a great round. I recently bought a Ruger No.1 in .270. I worked up a load using Sierra's 140 gr. HPBT's. You can go with 130's 140's or 150 grainers for deer or hog. You can also buy rounds in the 90,100, and 110 gr. size, but they are generally for Varmint sized game. There are any number of companies making quality ammo, so buy several boxes and see what you rifle likes best.
Good Shooting!!

Go to Top of Page

Adj1
Average Member

USA
428 Posts

Posted - September 03 2002 :  12:19:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Goldpan: The 270 is one of the best all-round calibers there is. It is capable of taking any game the U.S. has to offer, except maybe Brown Bears. But in the mid 1930's, an Alaskan Game Warden used it with some obscure 170 grain load to kill those critters on a regular basis. If you handload, you can match the classic 7X57 mm Mauser load...140 gr at 2800 fps, and that has accounted for most of the beasts in the continental U.S. and Africa. Over the counter 140 gr loads run 50-100 fps higher.

Jack O'Connor's writings concerning the caliber are still relevant, even if written middlish in the last century. Any load from the major manufacturers will do the job from mouses to Elk, which is the largest animal I have killed. IMHO it is better than the .223 for animals larger than coyotes, and any 130 grain load is adequate for most game, especially with Nosler Partition or other premium bullets. For really large animals such as elk, I think a 150 grain bullet makes better sense.

My son in law's father has got his elk for the last 12 or so years, using a 6mm Remington. I watched him do it the year before last. He shoots them a LOT of times. I firmly believe the 6 mm is too small for anything larger than deer. On the same hunt, I watched a 7X57 Mauser, a couple of 270s and a .308 do what they were supposed to...kill humanely. Rarely was a second shot needed.

If you should be so lucky as to get a trip to the offshore islands for some of the elk or boar that are there, you will be well-armed with an accurate.270. They used to have pig hunts at Hunter -Liggett military base, and there are outfitters around San Luis Obispo that offer hunts. Good luck.

Go to Top of Page

glockman1

USA
75 Posts

Posted - September 03 2002 :  06:29:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
imho, if ya cant kill it w/a 270 (or .30-'06/7mag/.280 rem) ya cant kill it w/anything, at least in the lower 48, the 270 is a great round, i have a 280 rem, but they are really the same thing almost, and it works like the hammer of thor on texas deer........drops them everytime.......

greg

Go to Top of Page

dennis strapon
Advanced Member

USA
1032 Posts

Posted - September 03 2002 :  1:28:44 PM  Show Profile  Send dennis strapon an AOL message  Send dennis strapon a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Goldpan, I have used a .270 for many years in Northern Wisc. for long Hayfield and cornfield shots. Works like a charm. I liked the Sierra 130 gr. bullets in mine especially. Many great factory loads out now for everything from varmints to Moose. My brother has taken Elk quite sucessfully with it it also. Practice it with and you will have chosen a useful all-around cartridge. Best of luck to you and be safe!!!!

dennis R. strapon
Go to Top of Page

goldpan
Starting Member

USA
4 Posts

Posted - September 11 2002 :  12:25:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK now I am depressed. The rifle I want is not available in .270 but is offered in 7x57. The 7mm Mauser. From what I understand it is also a great all around round. Now my question , How available are the cartrages for this? Expensive? And is this round going to be available for years to come or is it on its way out? I know the round is about 100 years old but I dont know very much about metric rounds.

Go to Top of Page

retiredsgt.
Starting Member

USA
14 Posts

Posted - September 11 2002 :  1:09:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
goldpan: The 7 x 57 is another "classic" round. Several of the old African hunters used it successfully for elephant, though I wouldn't recommend it. I am not sure what the ammon goes for,as I load all of my own, but I am sure your local shop and even Wallyworld have it. I would think it will be available throughout your lifetime.

Go to Top of Page

Vafish
Advanced Member

USA
3305 Posts

Posted - September 11 2002 :  3:05:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
7 x 57 ammo doesn't have the availibility of the 270, 30-06, or 30-30 it shouldn't be hard to find. Check your local gunshops and wally world (Walmart).

If I really liked the gun and it wasn't available in .270 I'd be very happy with a 7 x 57.

Go to Top of Page

106rr
Average Member

277 Posts

Posted - September 12 2002 :  3:17:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ammo availability in CA will be much better for the 270 WCF. Remember that the number of stores that carry ammo goes down every year in CA. In addition CA has an inventory tax. In February, storeowners must pay a fixed percentage tax on EVERYTHING they carry in stock. Because of the tax, most will try to avoid a re order around inventory time.
Evebn worse, many distributors have a 500 round minimum order for ammo. When I went to Idaho to visit relatives I was startled by the immense selection of sporting ammo available. Personally, I would love to own a 7X57, but as a practical matter I own a 270 WCF.
Mike

Go to Top of Page

Chris

USA
198 Posts

Posted - September 13 2002 :  7:39:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I live in the South, and down here every W.Mart has 270,308,
30-06,and 7mm mag. ammo all the time. I own a Rem. 700 BDL SS DM in 270 and would not trade it for the world. I believe if you are going to primarily hunt deer and hogs, any of these is great (MS hogs can often surpass 300 lbs.), but I really like the 270 and 7mm diameters for deer. A lot of guys down here prefer a 30 cal w/ 180gr.+ bullets for these hogs, but shot placement is the key. I would not hesitate to hunt ANY North American game (except grizzly) with a good handload from a 270.

My opinion on the 7 Mauser... a great round, but it doesn't touch the 270, 280, or 7 mag. I've noticed that it is harder to find a variety of loads for the mauser here, and from the sound of that is likely a problem in CA. Down here, the 280 also suffers in this regard. That is why I bought the 270. The 7 mag is great, but I don't shoot past 300 yds, so why bother with the extra recoil?

Why the CZ? Ruger M77's aren't a bad deal. Newer Savage rifles are good. And why not investigate the Remington situation? All are available in the aforementioned calibers.

Finally, if you go with the 270, I highly recommend Hornady 130gr SST's with H4831. Good luck.

Go to Top of Page

Doc
Starting Member

USA
9 Posts

Posted - September 13 2002 :  9:46:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I personally like the 30-06' with Rem. 180grain Soft-points. This round has great terminal ballistics, it will drop a deer in it's tracks most of the time, and is very adequete for much larger beasts.
It has pretty mild recoil too, for the size of the round. If you reload, Swift Scirocco's are awesome bullets, very good constuction. .270 WCF, 7x57 M., are great cartridges too. Another one I like too, is the .300 Savage. It can be hard to find though. My dad has one, and has taken many deer with it.

Doc

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-09 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.09seconds. Snitz Forums 2000