Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - CORBON BEE SAFE
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Stopping Power
 Stopping Power
 CORBON BEE SAFE
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

D2
Starting Member

USA
42 Posts

Posted - March 10 2004 :  9:32:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After hearing many favorable coments on the Power Ball ammo, I bought some the first time I found it. Several years ago I obtained some CORBON BEE SAFE ammo. The two look very much alike. Does any one have any information on the BEE SAFE and how it differs from the Power Ball? Also any information on the BEE SAFE performance.

TeamCorbon

USA
663 Posts

Posted - March 10 2004 :  10:07:12 PM  Show Profile  Send TeamCorbon a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
BeeSafe was a pre fragmented projectile on the order of the Glaser Safety Slug. It was a little different than the Safety Slug though. BeeSafe was a very good performer in gelatain testing and was also very good against moderate barriers ( sheetrock, plywood etc). COR-BON discontinued the BeeSafe line after aquiring Glaser Safety Slug in early 2001. There was no sense in having 2 different lines competing against each other. BeeSafe works fine and I actually carry it in a snub 38 (I've seen the testing against hard barriers with this one).

PowRball is a conventional JHP with a polymer ball crimped in the hollow cavity. It performs the same in gelatin whether bare or clothed. It penetrates more than our regular line of ammunition but certainly not more than necessary. The advantages to PowRball are that it feeds like hardball and expands and penetrates like the best hollowpoints.

Mike Shovel
Vice President/Public and Media Relations
COR-BON/Glaser
Mike@CORBON.com
412-496-0428
Go to Top of Page

ArmCar

USA
166 Posts

Posted - March 11 2004 :  03:59:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mr. Shovel,

A question, if I may?

Why did you folks settle on the 100 grain bullet weight for your 9mm PB? The reason I ask is because I don't much trust the penetration with any bullet under 115 grains in the 9mm and I always carry 124 grain or slightly heavier bullets in my Glock Model 19 on duty. My current carry load is the Winchester 127 grain +P+ RA9TA, but I really like Corbon's idea concerning feeding and expansion of the PB round. Is there any possibility that in the future the 9mm PB may have it's bullet weight increased by 15 grains? I guess that's two questions, but none the less I would appreciate any information you may forward.

http://www.ojc.org/
http://www.thewall-usa.com/
Go to Top of Page

TeamCorbon

USA
663 Posts

Posted - March 11 2004 :  07:05:04 AM  Show Profile  Send TeamCorbon a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
The 100 gr PowRball bullet is as long as the 147 gr bullets. It is that long because the polymer ball that takes up quite a bit of the space in there is not as dense as lead. We feel the penetration with the 9mm PowRball is very good. Ten to twelve inches in ballistic gelatin with or without a denim barrier is as good or better than most 115 gr loads. I don't foresee the 9mm PowRball coming out in a heavier bullet any time soon.

Mike Shovel
Vice President/Public and Media Relations
COR-BON/Glaser
Mike@CORBON.com
412-496-0428
Go to Top of Page

ArmCar

USA
166 Posts

Posted - March 11 2004 :  3:00:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mr. Shovel,

Thank you very much for taking the time to answer my questions. I and I know other members here appreciate very much your posting and answering our questions here at the forum.

Have a great weekend!

http://www.ojc.org/
http://www.thewall-usa.com/
Go to Top of Page

bigbadwolf
Advanced Member

USA
1636 Posts

Posted - March 11 2004 :  4:15:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was under th impression that BeeSafe was actually a superior performer than Glaser. Am I mistaken in this? No offense to CorBon, I like their products, but does anyone else in the country load BeeSafe, since the actual bullets are manufactured not by CorBon but by some company on Nova Scotia?

"Better a warrior in the garden than a gardener at war"
-Japanese proverb
Go to Top of Page

Jim Higginbotham

USA
7940 Posts

Posted - March 11 2004 :  9:54:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This does not concern the Bee-Safe round but a similar load. Please don't take this as a condemnation of a particular manufacturer or type of ammo but just as an illustration of how things don't always work out as planned.

I brought home some of the first Glaser Safety Slugs (this was so long ago I am not sure that the maker was not handloading them). At any rate the .45 Chronograped over 1600 fps. in my gun - this stuff was HOT!(it has since been attenuated). A couple of friends and I wanted a field test so I worked very hard one day to ambush a groundhog that had been reapearing from a hole. I bellied up to witin 3 yards of the hole and sure enough he finally came up (his back to me, coward that I am). I recall saying mentally, boy I am gonna get groundhog all over me!

I touched of the 1911 and, well...., nothing. Well, OK the woodchuck fell down (was not "knocked down"). I could not beleive it! I checked the "corpus delecti"; one small hole in the back and one small hole out the front, no gaping holes, no "ground chuck". This was a fair sized chuck... as thick as the deepest test medium I have ever seen a Safety Slug penetrate - I have had Winchester .45 Silver-Tips fail to exit on such a critter.

Oh, well. I never shot anyting else with one except some old meat and they fragmented fine in that penetrating no more than 4 to 5".

Keep plugging!
Jim H.

Get the Weaponcraft Journal on Amazon Kindle!
Go to Top of Page

Evan
Administrator

32518 Posts

Posted - March 12 2004 :  08:29:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
get them from Jack at Second Chance?

"The greatest thing a Father can do for his children is to love their Mother."

Harold B. Lee

Go to Top of Page

Jim Higginbotham

USA
7940 Posts

Posted - March 12 2004 :  09:30:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Evan

get them from Jack at Second Chance?

Roger that.
Jim

Go to Top of Page

Evan
Administrator

32518 Posts

Posted - March 12 2004 :  10:01:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
did you know that Jack Cannon, George Nonte, and Mitch Werbell, all surfaced during the House Assassination Investigation?

Harold B. Lee

Go to Top of Page

Jim Higginbotham

USA
7940 Posts

Posted - March 13 2004 :  12:39:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Evan

did you know that Jack Cannon, George Nonte, and Mitch Werbell, all surfaced during the House Assassination Investigation?

I knew about Mitch, did not know about the others. Interesting
Jim

Go to Top of Page

Evan
Administrator

32518 Posts

Posted - March 13 2004 :  12:55:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
a suppressed rifle would have been helpful in Dallas

Harold B. Lee

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly