Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - Federal RTP 115g FMJ
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Other
 Miscellaneous
 Federal RTP 115g FMJ
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

fsilber

USA
546 Posts

Posted - May 10 2022 :  6:25:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The local gun store has an add offering Federal RTP 115g FMJ 9mm ammo for $19 for a box of 50 rounds.

That's the first half-way reasonable price I've seen for range ammo in over two years (even taking inflation into account).

Federal is a name brand, but I have never heard of their RTP line. Is this a reasonable product for training purposes?

billmc

647 Posts

Posted - May 11 2022 :  7:39:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fsilber

The local gun store has an add offering Federal RTP 115g FMJ 9mm ammo for $19 for a box of 50 rounds.

That's the first half-way reasonable price I've seen for range ammo in over two years (even taking inflation into account).

Federal is a name brand, but I have never heard of their RTP line. Is this a reasonable product for training purposes?

I've never heard of it either, so I fired up the Google machine. He is what I found.

quote:
Federal Range Target Practice 9mm Luger Ammo 115 Grain Full Metal Jacket ammo review offers the following information; 9mm Range Target Practice ammo made by Federal is your best choice for bulk 9mm target shooing ammunition. Newly manufactured 9mm ammo here in the United States, that features a full metal jacket copper plated bullet, brass casing, non-corrosive primers. If you choose to reload your 9mm ammo, Federal Range Target Practice offers virgin brass that can be reloaded up to 5 times due to its high quality and low mixtures of other materials. Trusted Range Target Practice has gone above and beyond with the Federal Range Target Practice! With the same high standards that shooters have come to know and love with standard Blazer ammo, the Blazer Brass line gives the benefit of a brass casing making it reloadable. 9mm Luger by Federal are an excellent choice for target practice or just plinking around at the range.

I'm guessing its cheaper because it is a plated bullet rather than a jacketed bullet.
Go to Top of Page

fsilber

USA
546 Posts

Posted - May 11 2022 :  10:30:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by billmc

quote:
Originally posted by fsilber

I've never heard of it either, so I fired up the Google machine. He is what I found.

quote:
Federal Range Target Practice 9mm Luger Ammo 115 Grain Full Metal Jacket ammo review offers the following information; 9mm Range Target Practice ammo made by Federal is your best choice for bulk 9mm target shooing ammunition. Newly manufactured 9mm ammo here in the United States, that features a full metal jacket copper plated bullet, ....

I'm guessing its cheaper because it is a plated bullet rather than a jacketed bullet.

Does copper plating satisfy the needs of guns with hammer forged rifling? I know that lead bullets are not recommended for that.
Go to Top of Page

WR Moore
Advanced Member

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - May 16 2022 :  11:05:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Typically, ammo using plated bullets featured the term "total metal jacket or TMJ". If you pull a bullet, a FMJ usually will have exposed lead at the base. Plated bullets are totally coated. The quoted blurb mentions "full metal jacket", as does the description on the Federal website. Since they use the same wording for the NATO spec ammo I'd expect the ammo uses a conventional jacket.

So long as the rifling form is conventional, not polygonal, it doesn't matter if it's formed by button, broach, EDM, hammer forging or single point cutter so far as the bullet type is concerned. Unless otherwise forbidden=like with ported barrels and maybe the HK P7 series- plated bullets are OK in polygonal =rifling,

Beware the politically obsessed. They are often bright and interesting, but they have something missing in their natures, there is a hole, an empty place and they use politics to fill it up. It leaves them somehow misshapen. Peggy Noonan

Edited by - WR Moore on May 16 2022 11:06:29 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.08seconds. Snitz Forums 2000