Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - Pistol for old hands
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Shooting
 Pistol Palace
 Pistol for old hands
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

Sigger

USA
109 Posts

Posted - May 08 2022 :  9:40:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Need some help. Retired LEO with some pain in right hand. What 9mm compact has least amount of recoil? I read about the Walther CCP M2, but it has some issues with feeding failures.Appreciate any suggestions.

gauchobill
Advanced Member

1212 Posts

Posted - May 09 2022 :  06:47:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like the Compact PX4 Beretta. Besides the compact size, the magazines hold 15 rounds, and the weight of those 15 rounds helps tame the recoil.
Go to Top of Page

J Wagner

231 Posts

Posted - May 09 2022 :  3:55:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
About ten years ago, I had some nerve damage in my right hand. I was carrying a Glock in 40 S&W at the time. I switched to a Glock 9mm, with 147 grain ammo, definitely had a softer recoil. Good luck.
Go to Top of Page

Jim Higginbotham

USA
9957 Posts

Posted - May 10 2022 :  07:37:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Everyone has little physical things that cause them to perceive recoil in different ways.

to some it is the muzzle rise and to some it is the backward thrust.

I experience some pain in my wrist from time to time, and it seems to be worse with torque caused by Muzzle rise.

Just a couple of weeks ago I ran across a S&W 469 laying on the printer desk - I had used the extractor spring to fix a Cousin's 39 and then bought a replacement so I wanted to test it out.

It was a cool day and I was having a little pain in my wrist - it mildly surprised me how that 9mm, with a variety of ball ammo, causes some discomfort - not really pain, just how difficult it was to control. Many light weight pistols are difficult to keep down...especially with duty loads.

OTOH, just a couple of weeks before, I fired my LW commander (which I am carrying more these days) with .45 +P and it was not a bit worse - then again, that might have been a good day for me. What I should have done was notice the 9mm being a bit "frisky" and just drawn my Commander and compared it. Also I should add that my Commander (made in 1962) has an early wide (and high) grip safety - the bore is a lot further down than the 469 - lost of modern pistols have a lower bore line nowadays.

And again, it is a highly individual thing (until you get way up in power) - Have your friend go to a range an rent some guns.

Good Luck - getting old ain't for sissies

Jim H.

Get the Weaponcraft Journal on Amazon: Print or Kindle!
Go to Top of Page

fsilber

USA
546 Posts

Posted - May 10 2022 :  10:04:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd consider a Glock 48. The 4" barrel and the high bore axis would minimize muzzle flip (for a compact 9). Now that you have a thinner, flatter grip than a Glock 19 therefore your finger has no struggle to reach the trigger, you can tape a 0.25" thick pad of Sorbithane (TM) viso-elastic polymer (rubber) to the backstrap. Some people have described Sorbithane as having the feel of raw meat in the way it compresses, but regains its shape slowly. In other words, it absorbs shock really, really well. You can get sheets of Sorbithane on Amazon.
Go to Top of Page

WR Moore
Advanced Member

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - May 11 2022 :  10:06:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've never tried one, but the M&P9 EZ is supposed to be easy on the hands. However, size does matter. The full size guns just might be easier on the hands than the smaller guns. At least in my experience, the higher the bore axis, the worse the muzzle flip.

Beware the politically obsessed. They are often bright and interesting, but they have something missing in their natures, there is a hole, an empty place and they use politics to fill it up. It leaves them somehow misshapen. Peggy Noonan

Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.08seconds. Snitz Forums 2000