Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - New 1911
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Shooting
 The 1911
 New 1911
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

Pop Pop
Advanced Member

USA
1594 Posts

Posted - April 02 2022 :  6:22:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I purchased a new Remington 1911A1 a few years ago. My grandson was with me, at Bass Pro, and I told him I would give it to him when I was finished with it. I took it to him last month. They can not get it to run. Even had a "gun guy"??? look at it. He could not get it to run more than one shot.

I never fired it because grandson wanted to be the first one to shoot it. A totally new pistol was important to him so I went with his wishes and never tried to fire it.

I have owned 3 1911's. I know there are die hard 1911 guys, but in my experience, the other two I owned, I could not make them run good enough to trust them.

I am going to see them next month, and will see if I can make the 1911 run??????

I have tried, but I am just not a 1911 guy! Never owned one or seen one that was reliable.

Pop Pop

Charlie Foxtrot
Average Member

319 Posts

Posted - April 02 2022 :  8:11:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry to hear that. Just another example of a firearm manufacturer leaving its Beta testing to the customer.
Go to Top of Page

Jim Higginbotham

USA
9957 Posts

Posted - April 04 2022 :  08:48:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a Brother in Law who has two Remingtons, they both do OK, even with his handloads (he is a new handloader).

However he brought his first one to me after a couple of months as the safety would not stay on - good reason; the plunger tube had taken flight - completely gone.

Fortunately I had one and replaced it for him. I find it interesting the industry has forgotten that a set of 1911 stocks also locks down the plunger tube, just in case.

As we all know Reminton was going through a lot of problems in the last few years, otherwise I'd have to look at the problem to troubleshoot it.

Guns are individuals - I own 8 Glocks - every one of them has had at least one stoppage (except one, which has not been shot much) - two have had several (in fact one has a stoppage every other time I take it to the range) - that doesn't mean Glocks are bad guns, it just means sometimes I don't hold my mouth right

Jim H.

Get the Weaponcraft Journal on Amazon: Print or Kindle!
Go to Top of Page

lashlaruhe
Starting Member

USA
35 Posts

Posted - April 04 2022 :  12:17:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is why you should shoot any new firearm to determine if there is any problem with function. When you need it to protect your or family's butt is not the time to find out that it malfunctions. Shoot it while its still under warranty. Another issue that 1911 manufacturers have dropped is the recoil plug spring retainer mod to keep the plug from going AWOL. I guess they would rather sell replacement plugs than charge a little more to do it right.

Edited by - lashlaruhe on April 04 2022 12:23:21 PM
Go to Top of Page

JD

USA
125 Posts

Posted - April 04 2022 :  3:32:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In my experience, the biggest sources of functioning problems on 1911's are magazines and ammo. Has he tried different types of ammo? What has he tried so far? Has he tried different magazines? Not all 1911 mags are created equal.... Has he disassembled, cleaned and lubed it?

What type of stoppages is he experiencing?

JD
Go to Top of Page

Pop Pop
Advanced Member

USA
1594 Posts

Posted - April 05 2022 :  11:15:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know JD. All they told me is it will not cycle but fires 1 shot and will not recycle. Will be going down there in May and check it out.

Lashlaruhe, I did not need it for family protection so I did not fire it. I see now, that was a mistake. My grandson expressed he wanted to be the first to fire it. I am in TN and the pistol is in S Carolina. Yes they cleaned and lubed it after the first outing. Still would not cycle next round the second trip. I will know more about it when I get too S C. It came with 3 magazines and I think they tried all 3. I gave them WWBox practice ammo and Winchester PDX 1 H P for self defense ammo. Don't to know what they tried, I am guessing Winchester White Box practice. Sounds strange to me.

Pop Pop
Go to Top of Page

Deputy25
Advanced Member

USA
1026 Posts

Posted - April 06 2022 :  6:49:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have several 1911 pistols, couple Colts, couple Springfields, and a Les Baer. I have had very few malfunctions with any of them, and I've owned the Colts for over 45 years. My TRPs have yet to malfunction with any service ammo, and once I got about 500 rounds through the Baer it was flawless. I've probably doomed myself to a jam-a-thon now, but I've found 1911s (factory stock) to be very reliable. Mine eat a steady diet of 200gr SWC over Unique, no problems.

Be the person your dog thinks you are.
Go to Top of Page

Arvinator
Advanced Member

USA
5668 Posts

Posted - April 09 2022 :  7:22:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My 1911 Remington R1 milspec stainless has been a pretty reliable. With Chip, Wilson mags and only a couple of hiccups in the first couple hundred rounds break in period.

Not necessary my first grab, but I'd fell well armed with it even with the history of GI ball ammo. I was told years ago by a old WW2 Veteran who served under Patton how he used the 1911 and his shot placement.

Be honest, fair, and always prepared...
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.11seconds. Snitz Forums 2000