Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - Kel Tec PMR 30
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Shooting
 Pistol Palace
 Kel Tec PMR 30
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

Pop Pop
Advanced Member

USA
1556 Posts

Posted - December 27 2021 :  12:08:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My son in law brought a PM 30 22 Magnum pistol over for me to shoot. It has two mags that hold 30 and is very light. This one has a 200.00(??) upgrade to a steel brl, trigger, and slide. The pistol is comfortable and has a ambi 1911 style safety on the rear.

I took it out and fired 39 rounds through it from two different magazines with 2 brands of 22 mag ammo. One brand was CCI 22 WMR Maxi Mag HP. The other brand just had a C on the end and I am not sure of the brand but was a lot hotter than the CCI I had on hand.

The pistol was really accurate and shot to the aim. It sights had 3 light gathering tubes, 2 on back red, and one in front florescent green. Out of all my limited firing the gun would not run consistently. It hang up 10 times out of 39 shots. The next round went above the chamber opening every time in the same manner.

I am going to tell him thumbs down. The guy wants 400.00 for it and I don't think it is worth it. Ammo is too expensive to plink with and it goes along with many reports I have seen involving a PM 30. Many are unreliable.

Pop Pop

jle3030
Advanced Member

USA
5808 Posts

Posted - December 28 2021 :  09:49:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
KelTec's reputation for spotty reliability is well documented. Add to that the difficulty of creating yet another new design; innovative use of materials to reduce weight; having to feed the long, skinny, rimmed .22 magnum cartridge; and coming in at a relatively low price point.... Well, what could go wrong?

Jeff

jle3030

Edited by - jle3030 on December 28 2021 09:50:44 AM
Go to Top of Page

Pop Pop
Advanced Member

USA
1556 Posts

Posted - December 29 2021 :  10:12:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am finding out that great care needs to be taken when loading the magazines. Apparently the rimmed cartridge can get stuck behind another round, thereby causing a no feed problem. Several posters, on another board, say one needs a Magula depressor when reloading the magazine, and watching to make sure the rim on the bullet you are loading does not go behind the one you are loading on top of. I don't know if I made that is clear to you, but bigger caliber pistols have rims, but they don't protrude very far out past the main body of a round like 22 ammo does. Could be that that is what happened to me because I just stuffed them and fired. I have had several people, who have the CMR and PMR 22's, post that info to me.

Thought I would pass that on because it could explain what I did that may have been wrong.

Pop Pop
Go to Top of Page

Evan
Administrator

34928 Posts

Posted - December 29 2021 :  2:27:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One of my former Eagle Scouts carries the .22 long rifle version as a cold weather second gun. His has been flawless so it may be that the .22 mag is too much of a "Good Thing"!

"The greatest thing a Father can do for his children is to love their Mother."

Harold B. Lee

Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
6071 Posts

Posted - December 30 2021 :  10:03:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We sold maybe a half-dozen of these at the store, one to my coworker. A couple customers came back having the same problem as Pop. My partner convinced them to try the same solution Pop mentioned--being sure the rims are in front of each other. That seemed to solve the issue.

I like the concept of a 20-round .22Mag, would be great fun for chasing jack rabbits out west. But with the current cost of the gun, the ammo, and not as many jacks as there used to be, I guess I'll forego the pleasure. Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
If pro-gunners are as murderous as anti-gunners claim, why are there so many anti-gunners still running their mouths?
Go to Top of Page

Pop Pop
Advanced Member

USA
1556 Posts

Posted - December 30 2021 :  12:25:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Got a Jack Rabbit war story for you Ace. I was stationed in Austin TX, for the last 7 months of my enlistment. I was a buck-Sargent and we had to police up the motor pool every morning first thing. I was the NCO for the duty. We had a jack Rabbit living under a bush outside of the motor pool fence, and beside the main road into the base. Every morning that Rabit would bounce out and scare the begebbies out of someone in our detail. Well, I had 2 weeks to go, and I was feeling good that morning because I was to be discharged soon. I had the guys in formation and as I finished giving my morning talk, I told them, "Today that Rabbit is going down"! They looked at me like I had an extra hole in my head. They were all 18 Year Olds "Jeeps" (newbies into the service) and first time away from home. I explained my plan to them, and they began to smile from ear to ear.

This was in the late 60's and the base was President Johnson's home base. He would land every Friday on Air Force I and they would mooter-cade him off the base and to his ranch north of the Austin. Guys, they actually painted the brown dry grass so the president would see the grass green. But that is another story.

Well, we all converged around that bush, in a semi-circle, and closed the circle up as we got closer. That old rabbit didn't know what to think as we could seem him peering out from under the bush. As we got closer, he vacated the bush, and we had him circled. That rabbit hit one guy right in the chest knocking him backwards then made the circle with no way to retreat. It was like one of those old keystone cop films where every one was jumping and jerking around with the rabbit bounding off all of us. I finally got a back leg, and they collapsed on me, so we got him. After it was over, we are all just laying on the ground and dying laughing.

After a short while, I heard a horn blow. I looked up and seen a staff car with the base one-star general riding in the back seat. Evidently, he watched the whole thing. Well, I turned the rabbit loose, and rose, then called everyone to attention then saluted the general like one supposed too. By then he was out of the car and walking toward me, I guess because I was the one in charge. I continued the salute as he never returned it. He walked up to me, looked me into the eye and asked me my name, turned and walked back to his car and drove off. All of a sudden it became not so funny, for a moment, then after he was out of sight, we all busted out laughing again. I tell you it was a total HOOT, however at the time I didn't know the Motor Seargent was watching the whole fiasco from inside the dispatch shack. I mean the whole thing!

Long story short, I knew them old Officers didn't like foolishness, so I thought I was going to get busted, but after they chewed on me for a week, every time they got close to me, they finally dropped it because I was getting out. I got a letter of warning in my file.

I still think of that incident and get a smile every time. Jack rabbits are huge! I bet that thing weighed 30 pounds Ace. Sorry for hijacking this post, and going off point, but couldn't resist telling my story.

Pop Pop

Edited by - Pop Pop on December 30 2021 12:59:09 PM
Go to Top of Page

Frogfoot

USA
931 Posts

Posted - December 30 2021 :  3:48:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If I remember correctly, I think the manual says to load 5 rounds, tap the back of the magazine on a hard surface, load five more and repeat until it's full. My PMR30 has been pretty reliable and doesn't seem to hang up until it gets pretty dirty.

We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give. - Sir Winston Churchill
Go to Top of Page

Pop Pop
Advanced Member

USA
1556 Posts

Posted - January 03 2022 :  09:53:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have had numerous people post, on another board, they have this pistol, and they discovered the same thing. Apparently, the instruction manual states possible problems if mag is not loaded correctly. The rims get behind one another when loading the magazine which causes a non-feed. Therefore, one needs to take great care when filling the magazine.

Pop Pop

Edited by - Pop Pop on January 03 2022 09:53:53 AM
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.09seconds. Snitz Forums 2000