StoppingPower.net Forums
Home
Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - 243 Win for target shooting???
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Shooting
 The Rifle Rack
 243 Win for target shooting???
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

agent00

Austria
177 Posts

Posted - December 27 2021 :  07:52:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hell everybody I am on the verge of getting a neat litte bolt action rifle for target shooting for a distance about 300 Meters. At first I wanted to get new Howa Mini Action in 223 remington which would be the most logical choice for my needs.But then I saw an offer at my local gunstore that might be interesting for me. It would be a used Howa 1500 in 243 win I like the look of the gun the price is very cheap for a howa m 1500. Not so sure about the cartridge do. I am not a hunter so using a catridge that got it's reputation for huting purposes sounds a bit weird. What are you thoughs on using the 243 win for a no hunting application. Bad idea or worth considering?

The ammo prices of 243 win here in Austria are okish minus the lackluster availability but that problem is not exlusive to 243 win.

Arvinator
Advanced Member

USA
5651 Posts

Posted - December 27 2021 :  10:25:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The .243 is a fast, light, medium game round in my opinion. I have a Howa .223 heavy barrel and it is a shooter. 300 yards? I have no idea for that distance I'd like a more powerful round in my personal opinion.

Good luck, and I'm sure there or others on here with more knowledge on this subject.

Be honest, fair, and always prepared...
Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
6071 Posts

Posted - December 27 2021 :  11:53:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For 'just' target shooting, my choice between the two calibers mentioned would be the .223--better ammo availability and brand choices. The .243 is a great caliber for up to deer-size game, but if you're not a hunter, that's a moot point. Ammo will be a lot more expensive, and harder to find nowadays. Of course, there's always the fun of having more guns in the cabinet; but sometimes practicality is a good thing to consider.

There's $.02 worth of opinion, spend it any way you want. Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
If pro-gunners are as murderous as anti-gunners claim, why are there so many anti-gunners still running their mouths?
Go to Top of Page

Chris Christian
Advanced Member

USA
3870 Posts

Posted - December 27 2021 :  2:35:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Back during my 'paid predator hunter" days I assembled a Winchester heavy barrel (26-inches) Varmint model to handle any coyotes I saw. Various factory loads were pretty darned accurate. The handload I developed for it (carefully using same case headstamps, micrometer sizing the cases, hand weighing each powder charge, with a Berger 90-grain moly coated bullet) would deliver three-inch three shot groups at 600 yards, under zero wind conditions. I hauled it out to South Dakota one year for a prairie dog shoot, and nailed them at 600 yards pretty regularly.

For 300-yard target shooting the .243 is an excellent choice. Federal and Remington 100-grain factory loads would shoot better than MOA at that range. Careful handloading can beat that. At, least, from my experience.

Chris Christian
There are those who make things happen. There are those who watch things happen. There are those who wonder What The Heck happened! Pick one.

Edited by - Chris Christian on December 27 2021 2:37:38 PM
Go to Top of Page

jle3030
Advanced Member

USA
5808 Posts

Posted - December 28 2021 :  09:59:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The intangible satisfaction of trying something different should not be overlooked.

Jeff

jle3030
Go to Top of Page

agent00

Austria
177 Posts

Posted - December 28 2021 :  12:57:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks a lot for the replies so far. As expected that is a quite controversial topic.

@Chris Christian Reloading is interesting for sure but not an option for me yet. You need to obtain a license in Austria to d some reloading and I have not found the time yet to get it. So I would have to need stick to factory loads. 100 grain rounds from Federal and Remington would be available. Also loads with lighter bulletss.

quote:
Originally posted by jle3030

The intangible satisfaction of trying something different should not be overlooked.

Jeff

That's right. Owning a rifle chambered in a quite powerful 6mm round is on my bucket list for quite some time. And concerning the avaibility and the ammo prices the 243 win would be the best choice.
Go to Top of Page

ACP230
Advanced Member

1082 Posts

Posted - December 29 2021 :  5:51:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A guy I knew used to shoot a bolt-action .243 in NRA Highpower Rifle Matches
back in the 1980s. He shot well with it.

I tried not to be squadded next to him
because the .243 was loud compared to M1 Garands in .30-06 that lots of other guys
were using.

"Never part with your weapons when you are in the field. You never know when, on some lengthy plain, you may suddenly need your spear." Old Norse saying.
Go to Top of Page

Pop Pop
Advanced Member

USA
1556 Posts

Posted - December 30 2021 :  10:36:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My father had a 243 lever gun, with a Weaver 3X9x40 scope, that he hunted deer with. We reloaded it and played with the gun quiet a bit. That rifle was a tack driver even back in the late 60's. I really liked the rifle, but he also had a 30 06 I used, which was a military surplus rifle he had customized. I really liked the 06 also although it had a bunch of recoil on a young shoulder. He lent it to my brother-in-law, for deer hunting the year I was in Vietnam, and he got drunk and gave it to someone he couldn't remember who it was. We never got it back.

We found for, deer hunting, bigger bullets were better on deer. If memory serves me, we settled on and used a 102 gr boattail bullet. I don't remember the recipe, but it worked well for deer. Rule 4 would not allow me to post it here anyways.

We used our 243 for ground hog hunting also. We drove the country roads, on Sunday mornings, and we would harvest 10 to 15 ground hogs every trip. Farmers hated ground hogs and liked it when we would harvest one from their fields. I was the "go-fer", they killed one I would go retrieve it. Couldn't do that now because one cannot shoot from roadways now days.

IMO, nothing wrong with a good 243 although it has become a ugly duckling, in these days, in the good old USA. Too many newer calibers now. I guess 243 has fallen from grace(favor) here now.

I have ventured into a 7MM 08 Savage Axis with a Weaver 3X9X40 scope on it. I use a 147 gr Winchester Deer Season XP ammo with it. It is comparable with the 6.5 Creedmoor, and I think it has a "little better stats" than the Creedmoor.

My, how times have changed. Looked at the new Winchester 6.8 Western rifle not long ago. Everyone is singing its song in the hunting world right now. Evan, we know about newer and better needs time to mature.

agent00, the 243 is a excellent 300 yard rifle. IMO, past that distance it (243) is a little light. Can be done, but if I were going farther than that, on an animal of size(up to Elk), I would want something in the 300 Mag caliber. My 2 cents worth. Your Milage May Vary!

Pop Pop

Edited by - Pop Pop on December 30 2021 10:48:32 AM
Go to Top of Page

agent00

Austria
177 Posts

Posted - December 31 2021 :  03:31:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
@Pop Pop Yes there has been some movement in the 6mm market so I am not surprised that they good old 243 winchester has fallen out of favor. Here in Austria it takes always longer until new cartridges get large sales numbers. But despite that fact some rifles with the new cartridiges are on sale already. I am in the process of checking out different rifle models and so found out about rifle catridige combinations that were unkown to me. There would be rifle from Ruger on sale that is chambered in 6.5mm creedmore. To be honest I have never heard about that cartridge before but after checking it on on google it seems to be a very interesting new cartridge.

Howa rifles are also available in 6.5mm grendel. Another interesting 6.5mm cartridge. Too bad the ammo availability is so bad that 6.5mm grendel would be impractical to consider.

Speaking about the 300 mag caliber range. To be honest I have also considered going in the 300 mag range. But before doing so I need to research if such big calibers are allowed at my local range.

If they are I maybe would consider a 300 winchester magnum howa m 1500 magnum or the Remington 700 SPS Magnum, The 300 win mag would be the only 300 mag catridige widley available and that's fine. There might be more powerful 300 mag catridiges like the 300 Wheatherby or the new Ultra Short Magnums but such rounds are not available and for my needs a 300 win mag is more than enough for my needs.
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.11seconds. Snitz Forums 2000