Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - .223 50gr/.223 55gr
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The Real World
 The Hunting Lodge
 .223 50gr/.223 55gr
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
6071 Posts

Posted - December 23 2021 :  6:27:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Got hunting/fishing access recently, a couple hundred acres about five minutes from home. The owner pretty much doesn't care how long or often I spend time on the place, so I'll likely be there a lot over time, getting the deer patterns figured out, especially for next season. We have an over-abundance of coyotes in the region, and the more time I spend out there, the more likely I'll run into some. So I've decided to set up my little .223 H&R Handi Rifle to keep in the truck just in case. Got to looking at my ammo supply, found a few hundred Winchester 50gr Hollow Points from a trade way back when.

Now (finally) to the point: Generally, what difference should I expect in POA/POI between these 5gr-lighter bullets and the usual 55gr Soft Points I use in the bolt action and AR? Back in the last century, I remember changing to some 45gr loads (got a bunch of them in a trade) and the 10gr difference was enough to easily cause a miss on a yodel dog out to a couple hundred yards. Don't have enough rounds to do a lot of shooting both weights to compare, so any suggestions would be more than welcome. Wouldn't want to wound anything and cause excess suffering.

Whew, that took a while. Thanks for the patience. Tried the googly thing, couldn't find any ballistic charts for 50-grainers. Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
If pro-gunners are as murderous as anti-gunners claim, why are there so many anti-gunners still running their mouths?

oldmuleskinner
Advanced Member

1049 Posts

Posted - December 25 2021 :  8:55:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Ace,
Check out JBM Ballistics. They have great ballistics tables online. No load data...you just enter caliber, bullet weight, ballistic Coefficient, and velocity.
You then add other variables (sight height and sight-in distance) and you get great trajectory tables.
Hope that help and hope your Christmas was great!

Each of us is an innkeeper, and we decide if there is room for Jesus.
Neal A. Maxwell
Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
6071 Posts

Posted - December 26 2021 :  2:20:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, 'skinner. IF i put in the right numbers, it seems I should be well into the ballpark if I sight in ~1.5" high at 50 yards, and be pretty much able to hold dead-on the ribs of old Wile E. out to ~300 yards; about the top of the shoulder to ~350 yards. Heck, at 300 yards, I'd probably have to hire a high school kid to even be able to see a coyote. There are places on the property where 300-400+ yard opportunities could come up, but most would likely be in the 200-250 range.

This could all be academic. I have a lot more 55gr Soft Points than the 50-grainers; just figured since I found them, might as well use them. Once the little gun is sighted in, what ever is left over should last for years---unless there's a mass attack of yodel dogs. Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
If pro-gunners are as murderous as anti-gunners claim, why are there so many anti-gunners still running their mouths?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.05seconds. Snitz Forums 2000