Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - Got The Mdl 60 Out This Morning
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Shooting
 The Rimfire Room
 Got The Mdl 60 Out This Morning
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

Pop Pop
Advanced Member

USA
1526 Posts

Posted - November 24 2021 :  12:52:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My family is here for Thanksgiving and my grandson (13) and granddaughter (11) wanted to get my squirrel rifle out for some target practice. We took the Marlin/w Leupold scope out, and went to the back yard range. They started shooting at hanging steel then graduated to hedge apples. They liked to see them explode after hitting them.

I am shocked how good they can shoot. Their mother is a natural shot and they take after her. We were shooting the apples and steel from about 50 ft. Their mother backed away to 75' and busted 3 apples out of 3 off-hand. She has always been a crack shot with any gun.

We plan to get the bigger stuff out Friday. They can shoot up a wad of ammo if I allow them. We shot a 4th of a box of 555 this morning. Gave the neighbors something to think about. We waited until 10:30 to begin. Their gone horseback riding now. OH, rest for the weary.

We are blessed to have them all week. Love it. Going to give my Father's Remington mdl 11 48 16 Ga along with a new in the box Remington 1911 A1 when we go down to visit them in February. I think Parker will treasure his great grandfather's old shotgun.

I will say he is showing some hormones this season. Puberty, do you guys remember? Kinda a rough time for young men, best I recollect. Their both good kids.

Just fun memories, guys.

Pop Pop

Edited by - Pop Pop on November 24 2021 12:55:44 PM

Dave in PA
Average Member

USA
491 Posts

Posted - November 24 2021 :  5:58:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That sounds awesome! Family makes life wonderful, even if there are some bumps in the road on occasion.
Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
6053 Posts

Posted - November 24 2021 :  8:17:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Really like shooting with the brother and little nephew on Turkey day; been a tradition for years, before dinner. Chance to see who has a new what, and how it shoots. Sadly, the old guy that has a great shooting range at the edge of his hay meadow--out to about 500+ yards--stopped letting people come shoot after somebody with a cranial/anal inversion cut a bunch of muddy ruts in the field with 4x4's, so we'll need to find another spot.

Also really like getting out the 'old' squirrel guns and blasting away with them. Doing less of that now, with the shortage/cost of ammo, but we still get to shoot enough to make sure tree rats and bunnies are in danger.

AND really like hedge balls for targets. I you can hit a hedge apple at whatever range, you can certainly keep your shots well within 'the zone' on Bambi and Porky---and they are biodegradable, so no clean-up needed.

Have a good Thanksgiving, everybody, and remember it ain't just about the expanded waist line. Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
If pro-gunners are as murderous as anti-gunners claim, why are there so many anti-gunners still running their mouths?
Go to Top of Page

Pop Pop
Advanced Member

USA
1526 Posts

Posted - November 26 2021 :  10:26:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Also decided to give my Glock Mdl 19 gen 3 to my 11 YO granddaughter. Going to take to a smith next week to get the extractor changed to stop Brass In Face issue. I taught her to cycle the action properly, and she did it perfectly at age 11. Gave her a pristine S W Mdl 10 38 Spl 4" 2 years ago. Did I say I am giving my safe queens to my grandkids before I die! Passing them on to the next generation.

I will take 4 to these two and 3 to another grandson, who resides in Florida, when we travel down there this coming February, L/w.

Hope all you guys had a good Thanksgiving. I sure did.

Pop Pop
Go to Top of Page

Pop Pop
Advanced Member

USA
1526 Posts

Posted - November 26 2021 :  2:21:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We took the Ruger 40 Cal Carbine out to the range today. Shot a box of 50 practice ammo through it. Was UMC and had 3 that didn't cycle the next round when the kids were shooting it. They were holding it loosely against their shoulders. Did fine when holding it solid. Great fun with grandkids. I do enjoy thanksgiving.

Pop Pop
Go to Top of Page

Arvinator
Advanced Member

USA
5638 Posts

Posted - November 26 2021 :  10:58:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Once took my used Model 60 to the range. Wally world tasco scope, federal auto match bulk box of ammo. 25 yards, 10 shot group and could cover all 10 with a nickel counting the flyer. With the arvin flyer not included, a dime would have covered them.
Best little .22 for the money and it shoots better than my Ruger 10-22 rifle.

Be honest, fair, and always prepared...
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.09seconds. Snitz Forums 2000