Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - Gen 5 Mdl 19 Glock
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Shooting
 Glocks
 Gen 5 Mdl 19 Glock
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

Pop Pop
Advanced Member

USA
1526 Posts

Posted - November 05 2021 :  4:59:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Read two reviews of the Gen 5 Glock and both said it is the best Glock to date in 9 MM. Is it really that much improved over older generations, or are they fluffing on Glock?

I have a Gen 3 mdl 19 and it spits WWB 115 gr practice ammo back at my face, every now and then. If it goes down your shirt collar, it is HOT. It is a Police trade, in and I purchased it used, with minimal wear. When firing S D ammo it never does that.

Also have a mdl 23 40 caliber Glock.

I seen a Gen 5 at a local gun store for 458.00 + tax. I didn't think it a bad price for a new pistol. Probably should have purchased it.

Pop Pop

Arvinator
Advanced Member

USA
5638 Posts

Posted - November 05 2021 :  10:05:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a Gen 5 Glock 19. I like it. Not yet really broken in as much as I like, just maybe a 100-200 rounds thru it.

Be honest, fair, and always prepared...
Go to Top of Page

Ten Driver
Advanced Member

2039 Posts

Posted - November 06 2021 :  12:23:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pop Pop, that's a really good price for a Gen5 G19. You can't go wrong with that. They run for several hundred dollars more, in many places.

Is it that improved over earlier guns? That depends.

The biggest differences are the lack of finger grooves, and the ambi slide stop controls. There are many other differences (in grip texture, OEM sights, the barrel, some internal parts like the striker safety, the finish, the flared mag well, etc.), but none of them are as substantial as the lack of finger grooves and the ambi slide stop.

If those two features aren't important to you, then there's really little reason to change from your Gen3 Glock 19.

Also, with respect to the "Brass in the Face" ("BIF") issue, you can fix that several ways. You've already discovered that a change in ammo will remedy it, but you can also change the ejector and/or the extractor to solve the problem. I won't drag you down with all the details, but the short version is that Glock changed the dimensions of some of the Gen3 parts (and switched to MIM) around the time that they were gearing up for the Gen4 guns, and the result was increasing problems with BIF. You can remedy this by changing out the parts I mentioned.

On my G19, I only had to change the extractor to remedy the issue. On other guns I've fixed, it required me to replace the ejector, while still others required both parts to be replaced.

The extractor is the easiest part to replace. If you can disassemble the slide, you can replace it with no fuss. Lone Wolf makes a nice part that is forged, instead of MIM, and it has a good reputation for solving the BIF issue.
Go to Top of Page

Pop Pop
Advanced Member

USA
1526 Posts

Posted - November 06 2021 :  11:11:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys. I figured the price was right and probably should have taken it. Doubt it will be there today. Thanks for the info on my Gen 3. Will change both ejector/extractor at my local gun store as my gunsmith abilities are minimal. Prefer take it to a more knowledgeable gun-crank. The 19 I have shows very little wear, it just that I don't like the BIF issue. Thanks again Arv and Ten.

Pop Pop
Go to Top of Page

Evan
Administrator

34897 Posts

Posted - November 06 2021 :  11:36:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

whatever happened to the slogan, "Glock Perfection"

"The greatest thing a Father can do for his children is to love their Mother."

Harold B. Lee

Go to Top of Page

Ten Driver
Advanced Member

2039 Posts

Posted - November 06 2021 :  1:17:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pop Pop, here’s what to tell your gunsmith:

1. Obtain a Glock 30275 Trigger Housing (Gen 4). Remove the 30274 ejector from the Gen4 30275 Trigger Housing (just pull it out);

2. Remove the 336 ejector in your old Gen3 Trigger Housing. Install the 30274 ejector into the Gen3 Trigger Housing, in its place;

3. Reassemble and test. The 30274 ejector in the Gen3 Trigger Housing should start throwing your brass hard to 3 O'Clock.

The part costs about $8 for this.

If this doesn’t fix your problem, you can go down the more expensive road of replacing the extractor and extractor depressor plunger, but the above trick should fix it for you at a low cost.

Mike
Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
6053 Posts

Posted - November 06 2021 :  4:47:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Evan, there's 'perfect', then again there's 'perfecter'. Each new Glock version is 'perfecter' than the previous; they haven't reached 'perfectest' yet, or something.

Pop, your 'brass down the shirt collar' comment reminds me of a busty young lady in a CCH class, wearing a tank top. She had one of those happen, and was dancing around hollering 'Get it out! Get it out!' She finally figured out to pull her shirt out in front and let the brass fall through. It was difficult to maintain my professional composure and not break out laughing. Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
If pro-gunners are as murderous as anti-gunners claim, why are there so many anti-gunners still running their mouths?
Go to Top of Page

Arvinator
Advanced Member

USA
5638 Posts

Posted - November 07 2021 :  8:50:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Perfection? Not on earth by man. Glocks are generally reliable, and reasonably affordable for law enforcement, corrections, veterans, and retired law enforcement.

I had a Glock 22 Gen 2 that was a piece of junk. Jam-a-matic first class. My Glock 17's have always been flawless and I consider myself lucky. The 19 is still to new to say it's as reliable ay my 17s I have used.

Be honest, fair, and always prepared...
Go to Top of Page

Evan
Administrator

34897 Posts

Posted - November 08 2021 :  11:33:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had a 5.56MM hot brass between my tac armor and me. Not a happy moment!

"The greatest thing a Father can do for his children is to love their Mother."

Harold B. Lee

Go to Top of Page

jle3030
Advanced Member

USA
5786 Posts

Posted - November 08 2021 :  5:12:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For the past 28 years my go to carry gun has been the same Gen2 Glock 19. I love 1911's and S&W revolvers. But for my day in day out requirements the G19 checks more boxes than the rest. I don't love that gun; I just use it and respect it for the reliable tool that it is. It shoots better than I can, so I've never seen a need to upgrade to a newer model. It was temporarily cranky 20 years ago because of a chipped extractor. Two coil trigger springs broke; problem solved with a NY1 trigger spring and a Glock 4.5# connector. It's due for its third set of tritium lamps. I won't be wanting a red dot sight any time soon. Especially when I am seeing articles and videos on how to find your lost dot by analyzing your presentation and pinky finger grip tension. A gunfight is not the time or place to be dealing with that issue.

I believe we seriously overthink our armament requirements for the vast majority of defensive shooting situations.

Jeff

jle3030
Go to Top of Page

Pop Pop
Advanced Member

USA
1526 Posts

Posted - November 11 2021 :  8:23:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pop Pop

Well, I treated myself and purchased that Gen 5 Mdl 19 Glock today. Couldn't resist. Price was right. Going to need to get some rounds through it. Had to pay 460.00 + sales tax and 10.00 nix check fee. Had to show Barret Firearms my DD 214 to get that price on Veterans Day. Glocks are ugly, but everyone I have owned have been reliable. Hope this one does not have the "throw BIF" problem. Let you know when I can get out to the range, however it will be a few days. Got other fish to fry right now.

Edited to add; Barret's is the same Eddie Barret that developed the hand held 50 caliber rifle. His plant is here in Murfreesboro TN. He manufactures some good AR 15s also.

Pop Pop
Go to Top of Page

Pop Pop
Advanced Member

USA
1526 Posts

Posted - November 11 2021 :  8:24:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have no idea how the double post happened. Sorry

Pop Pop
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic