Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - Sound Check
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Shooting
 Wheelgun Chronicles
 Sound Check
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ten Driver
Advanced Member

2039 Posts

Posted - September 28 2021 :  4:45:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Eek! The last post in this subforum dates back to July!

As a RevolverGuy, I canít abide by this kind of neglect.

What revolvers have you guys been shooting lately?

Chris Christian
Advanced Member

USA
3860 Posts

Posted - September 28 2021 :  5:47:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, it has been quiet here lately. For myself, I've been shooting my tuned six-shot 6-inch Ruger GP-100 a bit in Steel Challenge. A six-shot isn't competitive there, but I did manage to make B Class with it. I'm thinking about dragging out its 4.25-inch mate and running some IDPA. It's quite awhile, but it did pile up a wall full of trophies in the past. Both have a 7.75-pound DA pull, polished & chamfered chambers, Bowen Rough Country sights, and appropriate grips. Safariland Comp IIIs keep them fed on the clock. Bladetech holsters.
Beyond that, I play a bit with my pair of Taurus snubbies, just for practice.

Chris Christian
There are those who make things happen. There are those who watch things happen. There are those who wonder What The Heck happened! Pick one.
Go to Top of Page

Ten Driver
Advanced Member

2039 Posts

Posted - September 29 2021 :  11:15:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Those sound like great shooting guns, Chris! Did you do the action work?

Those Bowen sights look superb. Did you need to adjust the factory front for point of impact?
Go to Top of Page

Chris Christian
Advanced Member

USA
3860 Posts

Posted - September 29 2021 :  11:51:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ten Driver

Those sound like great shooting guns, Chris! Did you do the action work?

Those Bowen sights look superb. Did you need to adjust the factory front for point of impact?

No. It was done by someone who knew what they were doing regarding polishing the internals. The spring kits (one from Wolfe and one from Wilson Combat) worked well.

The Bowen sights are opposing screw adjustable and once set they don't move. I had problems with the factory Ruger sight 'bouncing'. For the front sight I used a Hi-Vis with quick interchangeable inserts. It simply replaced the stock Ruger front sight. They were perfect with the Bowen rear sight. I normally shoot green FO for paper targets, red for Steel Challenge (matches my red dot sights on other guns and feels comfortable) and sometimes white on indoor ranges. It's handy.

Chris Christian
There are those who make things happen. There are those who watch things happen. There are those who wonder What The Heck happened! Pick one.
Go to Top of Page

Evan
Administrator

34897 Posts

Posted - September 29 2021 :  5:23:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I carry two wheelguns daily. a Smith Model 686+ 7 shot stainless L frame .357 with three inch barrel and round but with a Smith 442 as a second gun with an AR pistol in the trunk.

"The greatest thing a Father can do for his children is to love their Mother."

Harold B. Lee

Go to Top of Page

billmc

605 Posts

Posted - September 29 2021 :  5:23:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There was a time, not long ago, that I would not have been able to respond to this thread. At the end of July, from Gun Broker, I purchased my first revolver. It is the Charter Arms Target Pathfinder in .22LR, 4.2 inch barrel. Turns out the gun was produced last year. When I received it, it had a problem, though not all the time, when pulling the trigger would not advance the cylinder. I contacted Charter (after they returned from vacation, they were closed for 2 weeks) and sent it to them. Since moving to their current location, they offer a lifetime warranty. They replaced the cylinder and the trigger and polished some of the internal mechanism. I haven't had a problem with it since.

I guess its lucky for me that the previous owner couldn't bother with the warranty process (call them and they send you a shipping label). I ended up with virtually a new gun for a used gun price.
Go to Top of Page

Arvinator
Advanced Member

USA
5638 Posts

Posted - September 29 2021 :  8:20:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well as required for work, I wear one of them Glocks. It's reliable and a fine sidearm but a snub still rides on my person daily to work, and right now as I type this in jeans & a t shirt.

Wheel guns are wonderful I told a younger officer the other day...

Be honest, fair, and always prepared...
Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
6053 Posts

Posted - September 30 2021 :  09:24:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
TOM story: Once, at the ORF qual day, Ol' Sarge brought his old duty revawver for that part of the ordeal. One of the active-duty youngsters kept giving him a hard time about it--'Did you bring enough powder and caps' and 'Do we need to move the target closer' and so on--all in good fun, of course. After the shoot, Sarge asked him if he'd like to try it. Handed him the empty gun and six rounds, the kid stood there with a blank look on his face. Sarge had to show him how to open the cylinder and load it. Not sure, but I think the kid learned something.

When I carry revawvers, it's not unusual for it to be a Speed Six strong side, with a Security Six weak side, Two Gun Pete style. A couple of speed loaders in a cheap nylon carrier on the belt, and I'm ready to face the Mongol hordes. Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
If pro-gunners are as murderous as anti-gunners claim, why are there so many anti-gunners still running their mouths?

Edited by - Ace on October 12 2021 11:21:38 AM
Go to Top of Page

Chris Christian
Advanced Member

USA
3860 Posts

Posted - September 30 2021 :  11:48:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Revolvers tend to intimidate the young... sort of like phones with a dial on them. But, them old fashion obsolete wheelguns still work.
A story I still chuckle at --- it was about 10 years ago and I was at a local IDPA match shooting a 6-shot revolver (SSR Division). There was the usual assortment of high-speed low-drag youngsters with them new fangly semi-hydraulics they all seem to like so much. The match was actually laid out pretty well for revolvers ... 3 targets (2 rounds each) to a shooting position, reload on the move to the next one, rinse & repeat.
When the match was over and we looked at the scores I watched this young guy in a group of 20-somethings bemoaning the fact that "I just had my butt handed to me by an old guy with a revolver!" Poor kid.
I had won High Overall

Chris Christian

Edited by - Chris Christian on September 30 2021 11:50:22 AM
Go to Top of Page

Dave in PA
Average Member

USA
491 Posts

Posted - September 30 2021 :  4:50:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's my cool revolver story. My best friend's daughter got married this past weekend. When I was speaking to the groom (a great guy) he was excited to show me the present he got for his new wife. The new wife is a police officer and he got her a 4" Colt Official Police from the 1930's. The gun was in very good shape and had pearl grips. I thought that was a very cool gift. She loved it, too.
Go to Top of Page

Ten Driver
Advanced Member

2039 Posts

Posted - September 30 2021 :  9:39:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's a great litmus test, Dave.

If she balks or complains, you know immediately that you married the wrong woman!

Hmmm.....maybe that should be tested BEFORE the big day.
Go to Top of Page

jle3030
Advanced Member

USA
5786 Posts

Posted - October 01 2021 :  12:38:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Litmus test: I'll sometimes test the knowledge base of a young guy behind the gun counter by dropping the term "Tyler T-Grip".

As for revolver activity I've just gone retro with a S&W Model 15 Combat Masterpiece. It serves as the concealed living room gun. I bought it used, wearing the ubiquitous rubber Hogue Monogrip. I decided to give it a bit more personality for not too much money. Now it wears a set of faux stag grip panels and a BK grip adapter. The new grips are way cheaper than the real thing, feel good in the hand, and will pass for casual admiration. The BK adaptation of the classic Tyler T-Grip feels just like the original, costs less, and doesn't carry the aggravating "pay and wait" stigma that has tarnished the Tyler reputation.

Jeff

jle3030
Go to Top of Page

Pop Pop
Advanced Member

USA
1526 Posts

Posted - October 01 2021 :  12:52:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My EDC is still a SS Taurus 7 shot snubbie in 38 Spl stocked with Cor Bon DPX. I have another SS 7 shooter in 38/357 that I carry when my back lets me, and carry it stocked with 357 Cor Bon DPX. The 38 Spl is an ultralight 7 shooter and the other is a standard weight revolver. My back knows the difference between the two revolvers. I pocket carry both in a modified Desantsis Nemesis or Remora pocket holster. I rip out the seam and widen the mouth of the holster so it will accept the bigger cylinder on the 7 shot. Works well for me.

Have never had any problems with my Taurus's. Had 3, 7 shot snubbies, but gave one to my daughter for a house gun. I have a fondness for revolvers and do not feel under-gunned. I have been known to carry 2. Took 2 on my recent out west trip, in July/August, and had to lock them up in California and Oregon. Ammo in one place and revolvers locked away in another place just to transport them through both states.

Old School Revolvers does the job for me, Ten Driver.

Pop Pop
Go to Top of Page

jle3030
Advanced Member

USA
5786 Posts

Posted - October 01 2021 :  8:57:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The smaller the gun the more I trust revolvers over autos. This has become more of an issue since my back started complaining about anything over 24 ounces carried on the belt. God's back must have been bothering Him when He created airweight .38's.

Jeff

jle3030
Go to Top of Page

RLS

USA
771 Posts

Posted - October 02 2021 :  01:40:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Declining health and diminishing stamina has had me change on what I carry and how. Several years ago I dug out a Bianchi shoulder holster that I purchased in the mid/late 1970's. I started carrying a 3" Model 60 in the shoulder holster. It works, but there are issues. The harness was not made to be fully removed from the holster, just one end. It escapes me as to why. Stale sweat odor (BO) is kept at bay with a hand washing on the harness.

I tried a Kramer Confidant shirt. For various reasons, it did not work out very well for me. I have it on a hanger in my closet, aging.

Last year I read about Concealed Carry Wear "Holster Shirts". Basically it is a Tee shirt with a holster. Cotton/poly. And it goes in the washing machine and dryer for laundering. I bought one. After using the shirt for a short while I purchased several more. I found that a 642 rides real well.

Nowadays my most common carry gun is a 642. With speed strips in pouches on my belt.

Rick

Go to Top of Page

Ten Driver
Advanced Member

2039 Posts

Posted - October 08 2021 :  4:52:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Billmc, welcome to the revolver club! It sounds like you made out well with your new (to you) Charter. Iím glad they took care of you.

Ace, those Speed and Security Sixes are old guns and very weak. You should let me buy them from you, so you can replace them with something more modern and tough. If you act now, Iím willing to pay you up to $150 each for those old, worthless relics.

Jle3030, you had me at Combat Masterpiece. Be still, my heart!

Pop Pop, Rick, I think you guys are perfect examples of why the snubs endureótheyíre just so darned handy and easy to carry. Iím glad youíve got a system thatís working for you, despote the back troubles.

Iíll be teaching another new shooter class this weekend at the club, and expect to see nothing but bottom feeders. Iíve lost track of the number of newbs showing up with compact 9mm autos that they just struggle with. A lot of these headaches could be solved with a good, medium-frame revolver.
Go to Top of Page

Steve in Michigan

USA
169 Posts

Posted - October 09 2021 :  10:12:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My favorite wheelgun is a Smith & Wesson Model 15 with a 2" barrel. I have a 4" as well, but I can shoot the 2" better it seems. They are just the classic revolver and everyone should own one. I took a couple of friends to our range and showed them how to load the 4" model. Both of them managed to shoot the 6 rounds and just sat there looking at the gun. "How do you get the empties out?" was the question they both asked and when I shoved them out with the ejector rod both seemed amazed. Those old time revolvers are complicated!
Go to Top of Page

Ten Driver
Advanced Member

2039 Posts

Posted - October 11 2021 :  3:11:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Haha! Or modern shooters are simple!
Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
6053 Posts

Posted - October 12 2021 :  11:26:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mr. Ten, I really appreciate your concern for my welfare and offering to take those weak, dangerous specimens off my hands; but I think I'll just keep on taking my chances.
However, I do have a little Jennings .22 I'd be happy to part with for the same price, and I'd even pay the shipping to the FFL of your choice. Original box, papers, and second mag (if I can find them). Short-time offer, so lemme know quick! Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
If pro-gunners are as murderous as anti-gunners claim, why are there so many anti-gunners still running their mouths?
Go to Top of Page

bandaidman
Advanced Member

USA
1543 Posts

Posted - October 16 2021 :  5:41:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ace

Mr. Ten, I really appreciate your concern for my welfare and offering to take those weak, dangerous specimens off my hands; but I think I'll just keep on taking my chances.
However, I do have a little Jennings .22 I'd be happy to part with for the same price, and I'd even pay the shipping to the FFL of your choice. Original box, papers, and second mag (if I can find them). Short-time offer, so lemme know quick! Ace

You know Mr. Ten sounds like Malcolm did the last time I got to shoot with him and I let him shoot my security six. First he asked just how I got the trigger so smooth, all I had ever done was polish the spring stud in the grip so it didn't bind. Course I had shot and dry fired it a few thousand times as well. At least he offered more than the 150. that Ten did, course the answer was the same. My biggest problem with my revolvers has always been finding what I was looking for. I did sell my first revolver a M28 Highway patrolman for a semi auto and didn't regret that exchange as it was a Browning Hipower.

ďIf for a while the harder you try, the harder it gets, take heart. So it has been with the best people who ever lived.
Jeffery Holland
Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
6053 Posts

Posted - October 17 2021 :  3:44:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe I've been on the side of good fortune but of all the Ruger revawvers down the years, the only trigger jobs needed was the Ace Smoother Outer Special--lotsa shooting and dry fire. Even had high-end revawvereros be impressed. Big Ruger revawver fan; got a total of six right now, plus a small selection of long guns. The company otta send me a free one. Ace

Go to Top of Page

Ten Driver
Advanced Member

2039 Posts

Posted - November 06 2021 :  12:29:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ace, Bandaidman, ya can't blame a guy for trying, eh?

Ace, does the Jennings come with the attachment that hooks to my fishing line, so I can use it as a weight?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.19seconds. Snitz Forums 2000