Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - LCP Max
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Shooting
 Pistol Palace
 LCP Max
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

billmc

583 Posts

Posted - September 23 2021 :  9:31:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I picked up an LCP Max last night. I'm hoping to get out and shoot it sometime this coming weekend. My initial impression is good. There must be some kind of optical illusion taking place for me when I look at it. I never saw an LCP II but I do own an original LCP. When I look at the pistols separately, to me the LCP Max looks much bigger than the LCP. However, if I put one on top of the other, they are almost the same size with the LCP Max only slightly larger and that is in the grip length.

It comes with a single 10 round magazine, but I also bought the 12 round mag. The 10 round mag has a pinky extension that you can add but I haven't tried it yet. With the 10 round mag, I can get a full 2 fingers on the grip. If I insert the 12 round mag, I can get 2 3/4 fingers on the grip.

The sights are a huge improvement from the LCP original. It is also my first experience with night sights.

So far, so good. Let's see what happens after I shoot it.

billmc

583 Posts

Posted - September 29 2021 :  5:48:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Since Sunday until today, I've run a little over 200 rounds through this LCP Max. Overall, I'm liking it but there are some issues.

I've run several different loads through it. I had some reloads a friend had given me, Lawman, Federal, UMC Remington target loads. I've also fired Gold Dots, Norma 85 gr Monolithic Hollow Point, and Underwood 68 gr Xtreme Defender. For me, I'd say the Gold Dots were the most accurate. I have no way to measure their speeds But I'd have to say the Underwood was the hottest followed by the Norma. The Underwood box claims 1300 fps, but I couldn't find out the length of their test barrel. Norma states 1280 fps on the box and on their website they say they use a 6 inch barrel.

One of my issues is with the trigger itself, it has a safety in the middle and I'm beginning to develop a blister on my trigger finger because of it. I'll need to pick up some thin gloves if I plan on shooting many rounds at a time through it.

Another issue is with the 12 round magazine. The pistol comes with one 10 round magazine. I had to buy the 12 round magazine separately. Not all the time but enough to be of concern, the 12 round mag locks the slide back while there are still rounds in it. You need to sling-shot (as I understand it, the slide release is designed to operate this way, the button on the side is only to lock the slide back) the slide and the round loads. This has been happening on the 3rd or 4th round in the magazine.

I shot one full magazine from my Original LCP to compare recoil. I'd have to say that the LCP Max has less felt recoil to me, but I don't know how to quantify that.

As for the 12 round mag issue, I'll have to wait and see what Ruger tells me.
Go to Top of Page

billmc

583 Posts

Posted - September 30 2021 :  5:52:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wanted to let you know what Ruger said. I sent them a message via their website yesterday telling them I was having problems with the new 12 round magazine. They responded today and asked that I give them a call. I called and the gentleman was very nice and accommodating. He asked me for the serial number of the pistol, my name, address, and phone number. He then told me they would send out a new magazine, right away and they did not need to have the troubled magazine returned.
Go to Top of Page

Chris Christian
Advanced Member

USA
3853 Posts

Posted - September 30 2021 :  6:06:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by billmc

I wanted to let you know what Ruger said. I sent them a message via their website yesterday telling them I was having problems with the new 12 round magazine. They responded today and asked that I give them a call. I called and the gentleman was very nice and accommodating. He asked me for the serial number of the pistol, my name, address, and phone number. He then told me they would send out a new magazine, right away and they did not need to have the troubled magazine returned.

Ruger doesn't play games with customer service. They have the best CS in the industry. Rather than email, just get on the phone and call. They're fast.

Chris Christian
There are those who make things happen. There are those who watch things happen. There are those who wonder What The Heck happened! Pick one.
Go to Top of Page

billmc

583 Posts

Posted - October 06 2021 :  5:53:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK guys, I need a little help. I am not the most experienced when it comes to firearms. I know I wouldn't be able to tell you the correct name of parts if I had to point them out to you.

The new magazine from Ruger arrived yesterday and I put another 50 rounds through the gun today. Using the new 12 round magazine, twice the slide locked back while there was still ammo in it. This is the same problem as before with my original 12 round mag. This does not happen with the 10 round mag.

I'm thinking, with the extra grip length provided by the 12 round mag, somehow when I grasp the pistol, I'm torqueing the mag causing it to engage the slide lock. If I'm correct here, I don't know how to check that nor how to correct it.

It also could be something else, of which I haven't a clue. Any suggestions for me as to what to look/check for? How would I correct that problem?

I suppose I could also give up on the 12 round mag completely and just get some more 10 round ones.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.12seconds. Snitz Forums 2000