Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - Law Enforcement Response
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The Real World
 Cop Corner
 Law Enforcement Response
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

Frogfoot

USA
919 Posts

Posted - August 22 2021 :  04:59:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have your local police departments stopped responding to certain types of disturbances? There were some new laws passed in Washington State (HB 1054 and HB 1310) that went into effect on 25JUL21 that limits what, when and how the police can do their jobs and "Reasonable Suspicion" has been elevated to "Probable Cause" when it comes to pursuing suspects. Basically, if the police didn't see it happen, they can't forcibly stop a suspect. If there is no probable cause for arrest and no danger of imminent threat of bodily injury, they are encouraged to leave the scene. Some local police chiefs have made facebook posts to inform the citizens they protect regarding what they can and cannot do and that they'll do the best they can under the new rules.

We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give. - Sir Winston Churchill

Dave in PA
Average Member

USA
487 Posts

Posted - August 22 2021 :  08:23:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We're not seeing that here in my area of PA, but we are seeing cops leaving the profession. My former department is running short and they continue to lose good cops. I guess we'll be left with lesser cops, the kind I hated to work with.

So maybe the end result is the same...less arrests because there aren't enough officers to respond in a timely manner.
Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
6031 Posts

Posted - August 22 2021 :  1:32:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We had a 'legal advisor' who actually expected us to get shot at--or shot--before we consider whether or not to use deadly force to defend ourselves; said it would make it easier for her to defend us in court. (Have an administrative wonk as a defense attorney? To quote a certain blonde intellectual, 'As if!') Guess she was ahead of her time. Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
If pro-gunners are as murderous as anti-gunners claim, why are there so many anti-gunners still running their mouths?
Go to Top of Page

fiasconva
Average Member

USA
306 Posts

Posted - August 22 2021 :  3:34:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Most of the cities in this area, especially the larger ones, are at least 100 officers short. Some are even offering sign-up bonuses or up to $5K and retention bonuses of up to $12K. It's only going to get worse I'm afraid.

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
Go to Top of Page

Arvinator
Advanced Member

USA
5625 Posts

Posted - August 22 2021 :  5:38:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My Department has put us thru a recent "Response to Resistance" class. Only thing they said was NO choke holds, still remember when & where to use the response (Force) and if we are right, they will always back us. We are provided everything such as Tasers, OC, ASP, body cameras, and everything else. We are told to go do our job or go home basically.

Best bunch I've been around in my career and I hope nothing changes.

Be honest, fair, and always prepared...
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.06seconds. Snitz Forums 2000