StoppingPower.net Forums
Home
Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - Appendix carry in a car crash?
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Be Prepared
 Concealed Carry
 Appendix carry in a car crash?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

jle3030
Advanced Member

USA
5764 Posts

Posted - August 06 2021 :  09:22:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Appendix concealed carry seems to be a love it or hate it proposition. I don't want to rehash all the pros and cons; just focus on a single question.

The gun is positioned IWB directly over lower abdominal organs. The car seatbelt passes snugly right over the holstered gun. What is the injury potential in a serious crash? This strikes me as being about as risky as falling backward onto a concealed SOB holster. A ruptured large intestine is a potentially life threatening medical issue.

Am I missing something here?

Jeff

jle3030

gauchobill
Advanced Member

1197 Posts

Posted - August 06 2021 :  09:58:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As long as I can remember, I never felt comfortable with an appendix carry, either in an automobile, at a desk, or at the dinner table for the reasons you discuss. My alternative is a cross-draw holster that eliminates all the dangerous variables in your discussion. The best cross-draw holster I have found is the Andrews Leather "Carjacker". Auto seatbelts can be deployed above or below the cross-draw holster.

An additional advantage high on my list is the word "comfort".
Go to Top of Page

jle3030
Advanced Member

USA
5764 Posts

Posted - August 06 2021 :  11:50:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Point taken on the Carjacker holster. I've seen it advertised, but have never seen or tried one. I do believe that easy access to the handgun while driving is a growing issue. Between mob violence and reports of increased carjacking attempts, defensive driving and shooting in and around our vehicles are underemphasized skills.

How do you conceal the Carjacker? Or do you use the easy on - easy off feature getting in or out of the vehicle? Being circumferentially challenged, I find it hard to conceal a crossdraw gun forward of the hip bones and my arms are too short to reach anything farther back.

Jeff

jle3030
Go to Top of Page

heavyweight

USA
872 Posts

Posted - August 06 2021 :  5:46:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Never cared for it. Too uncomfortable.
Go to Top of Page

billmc

583 Posts

Posted - August 06 2021 :  6:49:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jle3030

Point taken on the Carjacker holster. I've seen it advertised, but have never seen or tried one. I do believe that easy access to the handgun while driving is a growing issue. Between mob violence and reports of increased carjacking attempts, defensive driving and shooting in and around our vehicles are underemphasized skills.

How do you conceal the Carjacker? Or do you use the easy on - easy off feature getting in or out of the vehicle? Being circumferentially challenged, I find it hard to conceal a crossdraw gun forward of the hip bones and my arms are too short to reach anything farther back.

Jeff

I'm not familiar with the Carjacker holster. Because of pain I was having in my hip from carrying at the 4:30 - 5 o'clock postion I decided to try a crossdraw. Unfortunately I couldn't find one that would do what I wanted. So I came up with my own design and made one.

With the one I made the muzzle sits at about the bottom of the belt. I've placed the aft belt loop so that it sits just forward of your hipbone. I conceal it by wearing an open shirt or a vest over my tee shirt (I wear my tee shirts tucked in). I find it very comfortable. The grip of the pistol is about parallel to the belt, with the majority of the gun riding above the belt line.

I made one for a friend of mine, who is a big guy. He stands 6' 3" and weighs about 330 lbs. He is able to conceal his with just an untucked tee shirt.
Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
6031 Posts

Posted - August 06 2021 :  8:26:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
bill, that sounds like a marketable idea. Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
If pro-gunners are as murderous as anti-gunners claim, why are there so many anti-gunners still running their mouths?
Go to Top of Page

billmc

583 Posts

Posted - August 06 2021 :  9:58:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ace

After making that post I got to thinking.

I'm not real good at leather work, but the more I do the better I get. If we had a way to post pictures, I'd show you what I've come up with. Its not fancy but it works. My thought was to offer it to you guys if you were willing to cover my costs. The biggest cost I'd foresee is the blue gun. I've been using my actual guns to mold them. Seeing as how I don't own many, I'd doubt that you'd have what I do. The leather I've been using is utility grade, meaning it can have imperfections. What I've noticed, in some areas, the skin is wrinkled. I don't care. Besides you're not supposed to see it anyway.

So far, I've made one for my CZ PCR, Browning BDA, Beretta 92FS, and my buddies Taurus G2. Due to the size of the 92FS I had to extend the muzzle down below the belt by about an inch or so.

Anyone know how I can post some pictures to show you guys?
Go to Top of Page

gauchobill
Advanced Member

1197 Posts

Posted - August 07 2021 :  09:15:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
JLE, I conceal the Carjacker and its gun with a shirt that is not tucked into my waistband. I position the seat belt (lower part) by placing it under the gun grip so the seat belt is no hindrance to drawing the gun. The shirt tail is loosely resting over the gun/holster. If I exit the vehicle and wish to leave the gun/holster behind I simply unsnap the two large snaps and place gun/holster under the driver seat until I return. However, I seldom leave it behind because the gun/holster is easily concealed under the outside shirt tail.

I have never had a problem with the snaps----they are large and secure. Andrews Leather makes this holster to fit the gun/model you choose to carry in it.
Mine is made for the Beretta PX4 in 9mm. One time the full size handgun fell to the floor in a busy hotel lobby. I got a lot of strange looks and a few laughs for that. I thought the laughs came from other concealed carriers. Since then I carry a Compact PX4 in the holster. The shorter grip with magazine in the Compact gun has never fallen out---seems to be a weight and leverage combination in the full size PX4 that makes it occasionally fall out, although the tensioning screw can be tightened to the point that drawing the weapon is difficult, which negates the "fallout" problem.

The compact PX4 has shorter barrel/slide whose other outside dimensions are the same as the full size model, so it has eliminated the "fall out" issue. As previously noted, the tensioning screw can be tightened to eliminate a "fall out", but I am comfortable with a lighter tension that makes drawing the weapon quick and smooth.
Go to Top of Page

billmc

583 Posts

Posted - August 09 2021 :  12:32:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ace

Ace, I wanted to send you some pictures. It appears that PM isn't working and my email address in that, isn't correct and can't be changed. Any ideas as to how we can establish communication without the whole world knowing?
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.09seconds. Snitz Forums 2000