Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - Rates of twist
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Shooting
 Precision Battle Rifle
 Rates of twist
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

Pip

USA
224 Posts

Posted - June 04 2021 :  12:34:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is it KNOWN what the currently desired/effective rate of twist is for 55gr. M193 in a 20" AR15M2 and 16" A4? So many rumors floating around
Thanks!
Pip

Frogfoot

USA
919 Posts

Posted - June 05 2021 :  6:35:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As far as I know, the twist rate for the M193 load was 1-12, but that was for the M16A1 rifle. Apparently, it was 1-14 for early M16 series rifles but they went to the 1-12 later on. The M16A2 variant used a fast 1-7 twist because of the length of the bullet used in the M856 tracer loading. I'm pretty sure the M16A4 used the 1-7 twist also as do the M4 series rifles. When I was in the military, we were taught that the M193 could be used in the 1-7 twist M16A2 rifle, but that the maximum effective range would be reduced because of the lighter bullet.

We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give. - Sir Winston Churchill
Go to Top of Page

Chris Christian
Advanced Member

USA
3853 Posts

Posted - June 06 2021 :  06:09:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My experience has been that a 1-9 twist seems to work well with every 5.56mm I've tried between 50 and 75 grains.

Chris Christian
There are those who make things happen. There are those who watch things happen. There are those who wonder What The Heck happened! Pick one.
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.06seconds. Snitz Forums 2000