Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - Opinions and/or Recomendations
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Shooting
 Wheelgun Chronicles
 Opinions and/or Recomendations
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

billmc2
Starting Member

8 Posts

Posted - April 07 2021 :  11:23:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was hoping I could pick your brains and get some recommendations. I'm thinking about getting my first revolver, a snub. I know nothing about them and really have no experience with them. About 40 years ago, I shot a friend's Ruger .357. The only thing I remember from that was it seemed to have quite a kick. Maybe 35 years ago, the Air Force stuck a .38 in my hand and said go qualify. Everybody qualified, nobody failed even me, despite the fact that I couldn't hit a thing with it. I don't remember my score, only that it was well below what was needed. They wrote down the needed score.

I really don't want to spend a lot of money. If I were to buy used, I'd need to depend that the seller is honest and not selling me a problem, I wouldn't know how to check. After reading several reviews, for what I'm thinking, the Amscor .38 sounds like it might fit the bill. The problem is the .38, I don't have any and it would appear to me it would be sometime before I could get some.

My pistols are 9mm and .45 ACP, so that has me looking at the Charter Arms Pitbull. Do you have any experience with these? If so, could you describe for me what kind of recoil I could expect? My 9mms range from Keltec P-11 to Beretta 92FS, I find the recoil easy to deal with. I have two .45s a Colt Defender and a Bersa Ultra Compact. Recoil comparison to these (or something equivelent would be appreciated, as its something I could reference).

I'm not real excited about moon clips. As I understand things, they have a limited lifespan and I'm certain I'd end up bending them.

Is there something else I should consider? A "normal" revolver cartridge is probably what I should be looking for, but with the ammo supply being what it is (and I don't reload), going with what I've already got might be the best way to go.

Straighten out my thinking and tell me what I don't know. Thanks.

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5950 Posts

Posted - April 07 2021 :  12:24:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, you asked so----

Personally, I see nothing wrong with the Charter Arms in 9mm (based on your desire for a caliber you already use). I've been carrying an Undercover model in .38 as a BUG for several years (inherited it); not one I'd like to spend afternoons at the range with, but OK for its purpose. When I first got it, it did get 'worked out' quite a bit, just so I'd believe I could trust it. Nowadays it generally gets shot maybe once or twice a year, just to change out to new ammo. As to 9mm in a revawver, according to people I've talked to, the recoil doesn't seem to be much, if any, 'worse' than .38, plus the non-need for moon clips. Also, as I recall from what I've read in the past, it seems 9mm out of a short revawver tends to imitate a light .357Mag in velocity.

All that, and then there are a lot of really good snubbies out there. I agree with the observation on .38 ammo availability--virtually not there, and for good defensive loads, over a buck a round the last time I looked.

A while back I was impulsively considering a .45acp in the little Charter; lots of smart folks here helped me resist that. Now you got me thinking about maybe looking at one of their 9's. Thanks a whole lot! Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
If pro-gunners are as murderous as anti-gunners claim, why are there so many anti-gunners still running their mouths?
Go to Top of Page

billmc2
Starting Member

8 Posts

Posted - April 07 2021 :  4:44:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ace, glad to be of service. I'm sure I could think of all sorts of ways to spend your money.

Thanks for the feedback on the revolver. I don't know their reasoning around the .45 but I'm sure they'll get around to telling me. Based upon what you've said, I'll put it out of my mind. I really do admire the knowledge and experience of the folks on this board. Up until the other day, I hadn't been on for for several years. I just noticed that the number of posts I've made on here seems to have been reset. Your name is among the ones I remember.
Go to Top of Page

heavyweight

USA
868 Posts

Posted - April 07 2021 :  11:36:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm partial to my LCR in .38. One of the best out of the box triggers I've had. I swapped out the stock grips for some Hogue Bantam grips and it comes in right about 12 ounces empty. But of course, like anything, it's a matter of personal preference.
Go to Top of Page

Arvinator
Advanced Member

USA
5596 Posts

Posted - April 08 2021 :  07:12:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am very fond of my S&W .38 snubs. The 5 shot "Chief Special" after a brief period with a Charter, then a Taurus, has been a second gun for my since 1990.
Ammo on the shelves? Good luck with that. I hope by this fall some ammo will return to the shelves for customers.

To each his or her own. What works for me may not for you. I can only suggest you look around and if you know anyone with a .38 snub ask to see it. Dry fire it. Maybe just maybe they will let you fire just a few rounds thru it. I would do that for someone if they asked.

Good luck.

Be honest, fair, and always prepared...
Go to Top of Page

jle3030
Advanced Member

USA
5687 Posts

Posted - April 08 2021 :  3:33:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Given the guns you already own, I wouldn't worry about the snub's recoil. Any of the guns mentioned so far should fall well within your comfort zone. I'd go for fit in the hand and how the trigger feels.

Jeff

jle3030
Go to Top of Page

ACP230
Advanced Member

1081 Posts

Posted - April 08 2021 :  9:29:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have had one Colt, one Charter .38 snub, and several S&W snubs.
I prefer the S&Ws to the others. Favorites are the M649, M38 and the short
M15s. Hard to go wrong with any of them.

"Never part with your weapons when you are in the field. You never know when, on some lengthy plain, you may suddenly need your spear." Old Norse saying.
Go to Top of Page

billmc2
Starting Member

8 Posts

Posted - April 09 2021 :  11:08:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I haven't walked into a store yet, been doing all my searching via the internet. So far I have not been able to find any .38 or .357 ammo. I've only found 2 Pitbull 9mm, up for auction, on Gunbroker. I couldn't find any for an outright sale anywhere. I wrote to Charter to inquire. They told me they are awaiting the arrival of cylinders. Once they receive these, the 9mm will be put back into production. They asked me to be patient.

Last night, the idea of a convertible Blackhawk popped into my head, so I read about that. Its more expensive and much larger than what I was thinking about, but figured the 2 calibers might be an advantage. There aren't any of those to be had either.

Edited by - billmc2 on April 09 2021 11:09:21 AM
Go to Top of Page

Evan
Administrator

34824 Posts

Posted - April 09 2021 :  12:14:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One cannot predict the future but I think we're eventually going to see some sort of armed rebellion AND NO I AM NOT IN FAVOR OF SUCH! The older I get the more I value prayer over guns AND I go the range once a week!

I've had a 5 shot .38 secreted on my husky frame for the past 50 years. I think they make superb second guns. I have a 50 year old RCBS rock chucker press that just keeps pumping rounds out. I think we all ought to become as self sufficient as possible as well certainly need to be!

The evil always let their arrogance get the best of them. Jesus promised to return and I wished it was tomorrow!

"The greatest thing a Father can do for his children is to love their Mother."

Harold B. Lee

Go to Top of Page

billmc2
Starting Member

8 Posts

Posted - April 09 2021 :  12:58:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Evan

One cannot predict the future but I think we're eventually going to see some sort of armed rebellion AND NO I AM NOT IN FAVOR OF SUCH! The older I get the more I value prayer over guns AND I go the range once a week!

Evan I agree with you. (I've admonished God and told him I hope he knows what he's doing. Silly me.) I've always owned semis, but with age and current social climate has me considering revolvers.
Go to Top of Page

Russ Larges

USA
2480 Posts

Posted - April 09 2021 :  5:55:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I too, am working my way back to wheel guns. my last purchase was a .45acp revolver that leaves my glock 21 up for sale. I will keep my G19 and G45 though cause I like them.
Russ

The pistol, learn it well, carry it allways. Jeff Cooper
Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5950 Posts

Posted - April 09 2021 :  8:25:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bill, an observation, not a recommendation: Sometime back I had occasion to want to carry my 4.5" .45Colt Blackhawk 'discreetly'. Found an old, sturdy nylon holster in the stash that actually fits it, and carries snug to the body. Found out a bulky single-action can, indeed, be hidden under a one-size-larger jacket; no more difficult than a 4" GP100. Again, not a recommendation for EDC, but it can be done.

I haven't looked at .38 ammo for several weeks; gonna check ammoseek when I get done here---more for entertainment than serious searching. Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
If pro-gunners are as murderous as anti-gunners claim, why are there so many anti-gunners still running their mouths?
Go to Top of Page

Pop Pop
Advanced Member

USA
1434 Posts

Posted - April 09 2021 :  8:26:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been carrying a 7 shot 38/357 snub for the past 7 years as my primary gun. Do carry an MP 9MM IWB, from time to time along with the 357 Taurus stocked with Cor Bon DPX in 357. Yes, I said Taurus and really like it. Pocket carry it, I do. The 38 or 357 ammo is non existent in middle TN at present. Thankful I took Evan's advice and laid in a bunch a good while back. I have curtailed my practice quiet-a-bit hoping for replenishment of ammo at a later date. Have raw materials for about 4000 reloads for the 38 if I need to fire up the old Lee Classic Turret press in a pinch.

Not meant to brag, but I like snubs and have 6. Two S W 38 Spl , 1 Ruger38 Spl, 2 Taurus's 38's, 1 Taurus 38/357. Can't go wrong with a snub IMO. Have given 5 away in the past 3 years, as I am downsizing before I die. Will take another load south this summer and give to my grandchildren's parents for them G Kids use.

Pop Pop
Go to Top of Page

billmc2
Starting Member

8 Posts

Posted - April 09 2021 :  11:02:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been carrying a CZ PCR since 2016. I started carrying back around 2011 and since that time, for the most part its been in the 4-5 o'clock position. Always OWB, found it more comfortable than inside. Its been wearing on me though. Some time back in the fall I had to find a different way to carry, it hurt to much, very difficult walking. I used a shoulder holster until I figured it out. I bought some leather and started experimenting. I've come up with a crossdraw that's working for me, so I've made several for the various guns. (Also made a couple SOB holsters.) The PCR doesn't protrude below the belt. The 92 FS only goes below the belt an inch or so. If I had a Blackhawk, I think I could make a holster to fit it. The bigger problem for me is the ammo supply. I never learned how to reload and don't have anything at all, to start with now. I have what is for me anyway, a decent stock of 9mm. I haven't shot the .45 ACP in a while now, but do have a couple hundred rounds hanging around. That's the reason I specified those calibers. The only other possibility, for me, is .22LR. I haven't looked yet but I think there are some .22 revolvers out there to be had. I've been toying with the idea of a revolver off and on for a while, but there have been other things higher on the priority list. Wouldn't be sure as to which way to go for a .22; snub or single action? I also have a small amount of .380 for my LCP.

I have no personnel experience with Taurus. The reputation I remember from the late 70s to early 80s was that the revolvers were OK but the autos, stay away. I guess the company has changed hands a couple of times since then, along with a changing reputation. Some of the newer autos get good reviews but I'd be hesitant. My buddy has a G2C, which has some of the better reviews, but I'm not impressed. I don't shoot it nearly as well as my own pistols. It was over here the other day. I noticed the slide rails are only at the front and back ends of the frame, with the middle being open space. For the right price and available ammo, I might consider a Taurus revolver, but as of now I've nothing to feed it.

I hope Evan is wrong but I fear he is not. I know more people that think as he does than think the opposite. Those that favor the hammer and sickle know they only have a very small window of opportunity, so they intend to maximize what they think they can accomplish. I'm to old and not physically up to partaking in the festivities personally but feel I should expand my horizon and reevaluate my party favors.
Go to Top of Page

billmc

520 Posts

Posted - April 10 2021 :  11:56:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by billmc2

Up until the other day, I hadn't been on for for several years. I just noticed that the number of posts I've made on here seems to have been reset.

I discovered why the number of posts I have made was reset. I have another userid. Somewhere along the way, I don't remember when or why, I must have created a second id.

Right now, I'm having trouble updating my email address for this userid. Once I get that sorted out, I'll look into deleting the other id.
Go to Top of Page

Ben B.

678 Posts

Posted - April 16 2021 :  9:40:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ruger LCR is a nice, light snub with a great trigger, and is made in 9mm. If you can find one, which is a significant hurdle at present.

I just got a LNIB Ruger 4 SP101 in .327, almost impossible to find thru usual channels. I joined the Ruger forum and posted a WTB and had a deal in 2-3 days with 2 followup offers from others. Worth considering.

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it." --Thomas Jefferson
Go to Top of Page

Pop Pop
Advanced Member

USA
1434 Posts

Posted - April 17 2021 :  08:23:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A Ruger LCR is my wife's EDC. She likes it because of it's weight with all the other things in her purse. I encourage her to purchase purses with a compartment to only carry the LCR in with nothing else in it. Has worked for her for several years.

She took my Mdl 65 SW revolver for her house/closet gun. Really is fond of it, shoots it well, but she says too heavy to carry. I like the LCR also. Fine snubbie.

Pop Pop
Go to Top of Page

Russ Larges

USA
2480 Posts

Posted - April 17 2021 :  8:44:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have two snubs a 642 smith and a lcrx3". The 642 has several thousand rounds through it and still running well, the Ruger is much newer so not so many rounds through it. I carry both in my pocket as I seldom wear a belt. The lcrx has the better trigger and weighs only one ounce more when both are loaded with 158 lswchp+p which is my chosen load. I am well satisfied with the .38spl. in a snub. If you want more grunt try Buffalo Bore 158 lswchp+p, this one is more then I want in a snub.
Russ

The pistol, learn it well, carry it allways. Jeff Cooper
Go to Top of Page

Evan
Administrator

34824 Posts

Posted - April 18 2021 :  5:49:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Buffalo Bore seems to be the only mfg with a limited versus none in stock inventory. I never had a 9MM snub that I would trust. Ruger LCR is a great snub and you can load .38 as mild as you want. Amazon sells reloading equipment at reasonable prices

"The greatest thing a Father can do for his children is to love their Mother."

Harold B. Lee

Go to Top of Page

billmc

520 Posts

Posted - April 18 2021 :  8:45:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I spent yesterday afternoon hanging out in the gun store. I had to wait until my instant background check came through. I was there for 4 hours, at which time the store closed. They called me this morning, the background check came back 3 hours after the store closed. I went back today and picked up a S&W 380 EZ. Hope to shoot it tomorrow.

While I was hanging out, I fondled every revolver they had in the place. Things I learned. The plowhandle grip on the single actions do not line up correctly in my hand when I grab it. I need to manipulate it until the sights line up for me. The other thing was that my hand kept slipping towards the hammer and I had to fight it to get it back down. So I don't think that plowhandle grip will work for me. I don't know if another type of grip will fit on that style gun.

Onto the double actions. There was a J frame, LCRs, SP101, and some Taurus. With all of the smaller frame guns, my middle finger was pressing/rubbing the back edge/side of the trigger guard. I'm only guessing, but I'm suspecting this will quickly rub my finger raw during recoil. But, having no experience shooting revolvers, I could be wrong.

I held a larger size Colt, I think it was the newer Python, a GP-100, and I think it was a K frame .22. All of these felt good in my hands. I didn't think I've got large hands, I wear a medium size glove. I'm thinking I might aught start reconsidering what to look for. Although it was very expensive, they did have some .38 Special ammo in stock. At another store today, I was able to pick up 3 boxes of .380. It was UMC from the new company, new labeling on the box. The guy told me they just received a pallet of ammo from the new factory. I also found the Buffalo Bore that Evan refers to.
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.24seconds. Snitz Forums 2000