Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - 21 Times
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Shooting
 The Rifle Rack
 21 Times
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Frogfoot

USA
923 Posts

Posted - April 04 2021 :  12:13:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A brother from church and I went out shooting yesterday for the first time in months and when we arrived at our shooting spot, I immediately noticed a bunch of large, rimless straight wall casings on the ground. As I began reaching down for the first one, I saw that the case had a huge bulge in it starting just forward of the head, so I flipped it upside down to read the headstamp. .338 Federal. Once I got it home and took some measurements, my suspicions appeared to be confirmed which was that someone (hopefully safe and sound) had taken out their .338 Winchester Magnum chambered rifle and managed to fire off 21 rounds of .338 Federal ammunition in it and somehow didn't manage to blow themselves up and/or destroy their rifle. Then again, I could be wrong and maybe that 22nd round failed and disaster struck. I recalled that I'd seen something like this years before when another brother and I went out shooting with one of his friends at the same spot and his friend had brought a box each of Federal .308 Winchester and .30-06. I noticed, but figured that he'd brought two rifles along until he fired off several rounds and ejected one spent round and looked at it questioningly. It turns out that he thought he'd grabbed two boxes of .30-06 but didn't look any closer before loading and ended up firing a round of .308 out of his .30-06. It is a testament to the quality of modern rifle brass that none of them failed. Regarding yesterday's find, somehow, the extractor had held the cartridge tightly enough against the bolt face so that once the round fired the primer had only backed out a touch with an otherwise normal, well centered primer indentation. When my friend asked why I was picking them all up and keeping them, I replied, "Teaching tools."

We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give. - Sir Winston Churchill

Chris Christian
Advanced Member

USA
3860 Posts

Posted - April 04 2021 :  2:04:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ya can't fix Stupid.

Chris Christian
There are those who make things happen. There are those who watch things happen. There are those who wonder What The Heck happened! Pick one.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.08seconds. Snitz Forums 2000