Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - Savage 7MM 08
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Shooting
 The Rifle Rack
 Savage 7MM 08
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Pop Pop
Advanced Member

USA
1526 Posts

Posted - March 11 2021 :  10:28:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I purchased a Savage 7MM 08 a few months back and decided to take it out and sight in the Weaver 3X9 scope in for deer hunting last fall. I also purchased a Savage 308 with the same scope on it and let my Son In law have it for my youngest grandson to deer hunt with.

I sighted the 308 in and it is truly a very nice rifle and scope combination. Grandson shot a doe with it last fall in the youth hunt week. My SIL said they shot her at dark and the scope illuminated the target great in very low light conditions. He was totally impressed with the Savage Axis 1. This model does not have the best savage trigger, but it is adequate, actually quiet good trigger on it.

I went on to sight the 7MM 08 and I loaded it and as I closed the bolt I noticed it was very hard to close. Got the rifle set in the Caldwell Led Sled then pulled the trigger. Nothing but the trigger click. Went to eject the shell, Winchester 140 gr Power Point, and could not get the spent casing to eject. Had to take a hammer and drive the brass casing out. Looked down the brl and it was blocked. Didn't try to fire it again however I tried to load another round and same thing, couldn't close the bolt freely so I didn't force it. That is what made me think there might be something wrong with the rifle chamber.

I just got it back from the Gun Smith yesterday and it was a squib load. He could tell by the burn on the end of the bullet. I knew about those type loads, but never had one before.

Consequently because it was so hard to force the bolt closed, on the first round, I wondered if something was wrong with the chamber in the rifle, so it took it to the Smith to be on the safe side.

Turns out it was just a squib load(round loaded with no powder inside and primer fired leaving the bullet in the brl). It cost me some "Lollie," however I am now sure there is nothing wrong with the rifle. Actually he fired another round through the rifle as I had taken the box of ammo with me that the initial round came from.

I had ear protection on and couldn't hear the primer fire. If that ever happens to you do not force another shot because it could possibly blow the rifle up in your face. Glad all is well with my Savage Axis. Have plans to sight it in soon.

Edited for spelling. BAD Spell Check!

Pop Pop

Edited by - Pop Pop on March 11 2021 10:41:30 AM

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
6053 Posts

Posted - March 11 2021 :  3:49:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Spell check on my little tablet thingy frequently causes me to say things I didn't intend. Self-editing is good.

My observations over time, from my own experience and reports from reliable sources, is that of the 'low-end, entry level' rifle models the companies came out with, the Savage Axis and Ruger American lines are way more than 'just OK' for probably 90+ percent of shooters. Not pretty in the polished-metal-buffed-walnut-stock sense, but they're perfectly capable of hitting a pop can or hedge apple at any respectable distance; and a scratched stock doesn't cause sleepless nights. Deers and pigs hate them.

Pop, are you going to contact Winchester about the squib? It might save somebody else from a bad incident. Hopefully they didn't have a run of a bad ammo lot. Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
If pro-gunners are as murderous as anti-gunners claim, why are there so many anti-gunners still running their mouths?

Edited by - Ace on March 11 2021 3:51:33 PM
Go to Top of Page

Pop Pop
Advanced Member

USA
1526 Posts

Posted - March 13 2021 :  09:40:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ace I have no plans to contact Winchester at this time unless you can convince me otherwise. Feel it would be a waste of my time reporting the misfired round. This is the first squib load, from any brand of ammo, I have ever personally seen in 67 years of shooting. Knew about squib loads therefore did not try to fire the rifle again, which turned out to be a good thing.

I did not try to remove the bullet, lodged in the brl myself, for I was not certain there was something wrong with the rifle as it was new and I had never fired it previously. I knew when I put the cartridge in it did not go into battery easily and I had to force it a tad, then could not eject the spent brass. I had to use a hammer to retract the bolt thereby ejecting the casing. I do like my hands and eyes so off to the Smith with the rifle a little later. Thats my story and I am stickin-to-it.

The Smith fired an additional round though the rifle before I picked it up. Am looking forward to sighting the rifle in this summer.

Pop Pop
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.06seconds. Snitz Forums 2000