Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - Henry lever gun in .357 Mag
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Shooting
 The Rifle Rack
 Henry lever gun in .357 Mag
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Evan
Administrator

34897 Posts

Posted - March 07 2021 :  7:23:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Trading for it this week. Loads like the .30-30 and hold 10 rnds of .357. Figure with two .357 handguns and the lever gun figure I an survive in the New Normal.

"The greatest thing a Father can do for his children is to love their Mother."

Harold B. Lee

Arvinator
Advanced Member

USA
5638 Posts

Posted - March 08 2021 :  07:26:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not a bad idea at all.

Be honest, fair, and always prepared...
Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
6053 Posts

Posted - March 08 2021 :  11:02:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Henry lever-actions seem to have the smootherist actions out of the box of any brand we got at the store back when. I have one in .22, it's sooo pleasant to carry in the field, and is as accurate (in my hands, anyway) as any bolt-action I've used. It especially likes Remington and CCI SubSonic ammo.

As to their .357 and .44 rifles, I've heard nothing but good reports from anybody with anything to say about them. My only issue is their weight; they're heavier than I personally prefer, but that probably contributes a lot to their accuracy and 'soft' shooting. Makes them a good club, too, if you don't have time to reload. I'd most certainly take one if it showed up under the Christmas tree. Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
If pro-gunners are as murderous as anti-gunners claim, why are there so many anti-gunners still running their mouths?
Go to Top of Page

Evan
Administrator

34897 Posts

Posted - March 11 2021 :  11:44:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shot it yesterday at a blank piece of paper at 25 yards. The group was a bit high and right but almost all the rounds were touching. Even .357 loads were pleasant to shoot!

"The greatest thing a Father can do for his children is to love their Mother."

Harold B. Lee

Go to Top of Page

Arvinator
Advanced Member

USA
5638 Posts

Posted - March 12 2021 :  07:20:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A lever rifle keeps you under the radar from gun grabbers. I settled on a pair of Marlin 30-30 rifles but you are very well armed with your Henry in .357

Be honest, fair, and always prepared...
Go to Top of Page

Russ Larges

USA
2497 Posts

Posted - March 12 2021 :  6:23:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been looking for one all winter, but now I have spent my wad on the .45 revolver.
Russ

The pistol, learn it well, carry it allways. Jeff Cooper
Go to Top of Page

SJC3081

USA
192 Posts

Posted - March 13 2021 :  5:57:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Iím training my 8 year old son with a Marlin 1894 in 357. Mild recoil even with hot 357 rounds is easy for him to shoot.

When treason prospers none dare call it treason.
Go to Top of Page

colt357

199 Posts

Posted - March 15 2021 :  8:23:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have several .357 magnum revolvers and always will, so I figured it was a no brainer to pick up a lever gun in the same caliber. I hadn't owned one since I sold an old, rather ammo sensitive .357 magnum Winchester 94 trapper (16 inch bbl) about a dozen years ago or there abouts. But then I got the bug! So what did I do? I bought not 1 but 2 within about a year of each other!

About 3 years ago I picked up a 20 inch bbl Winchester 92 in .357 magnum, then about a year later I stumbled upon a new, limited edition Winchester 92 trapper (16 inch bbl) "takedown", also in .357 mag! So I dug deep and bought it too! A bit pricy, but I couldn't resist the lure!

Great shooters, both of them. I am very happy with both purchases, despite the rather steep cost of the little takedown trapper.

Colt
Go to Top of Page

WR Moore
Advanced Member

USA
1068 Posts

Posted - March 19 2021 :  4:46:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Henry does put beautimous wood on their rifles too. All their rifles. Late last year I saw one of their single shots in .45-70 for sale used in the LGS. When I picked it up I figured out why. Gorgeous wood, but too darn light for caliber.

Chipped in on a .22 pump gun for youngest grandson and when we contacted Henry about a kiddy stock, they sent one free. Took a minor bit of fitting, but that's customer service.

Beware the politically obsessed. They are often bright and interesting, but they have something missing in their natures, there is a hole, an empty place and they use politics to fill it up. It leaves them somehow misshapen. Peggy Noonan

Go to Top of Page

oldmuleskinner
Advanced Member

1044 Posts

Posted - March 19 2021 :  6:28:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Two of my grandkids have used my .357 Marlin 1894 to harvest deer in the last several years. The first was my granddaughter when she was 11. The 3x3 whitetail dropped in its tracks without moving. Her younger brother shot one the next year. It went down but due to a bad hit, needed a follow up shot. Both times the rifle was loaded with hot handloads with 125 grain Hornady hollow points. I like the light recoil for the kids.

Another grandson shot his first deer with my .44 Marlin. It ran about 70 yards down a fence line before dropping. When we gutted it, its heart was shredded into 3 pieces.

The press gets all over LEOs for shooting multiple rounds until the perp goes down. If that deer could run that far after a shot through the heart with a 240 grain .44 hollow point, think what an armed bad guy could do in that period of time. That deer scenario just reinforces "shoot till the perp is down for good".

Each of us is an innkeeper, and we decide if there is room for Jesus.
Neal A. Maxwell
Go to Top of Page

wydraj
Starting Member

USA
8 Posts

Posted - April 29 2021 :  6:44:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Evan

Shot it yesterday at a blank piece of paper at 25 yards. The group was a bit high and right but almost all the rounds were touching. Even .357 loads were pleasant to shoot!

Wondering what ammo, loads you are using? Anything specific or just what you are feeding your revolvers. Thanks

John A Wydra
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.16seconds. Snitz Forums 2000