Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - Cold snap
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Be Prepared
 Emergency Preparedness
 Cold snap
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

Arvinator
Advanced Member

USA
5588 Posts

Posted - February 16 2021 :  08:16:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hope everyone in this cold snap is making it ok. While it's normal in Michigan, here in Arkansas, Texas, and a few more states are having a rough week of single digit temps.

I hear others in my area talk about not being prepared, I'm thankful I listen to my gut feeling on stuff.

Be honest, fair, and always prepared...

Edited by - Arvinator on February 16 2021 08:17:03 AM

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5921 Posts

Posted - February 16 2021 :  09:36:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Texas, a big oil state, is having deadly dangerous power outages due, at least in part, to .gov requirements to provide 'some' energy with those big fans that uglify the landscape (Tucker Carlson did a good segment on that last night). Say thank you to Shotgun Joe and his buddies.

We may be starting those rolling blackouts around here, but I don't see them yet. I'm gonna be real irritated if I have to play on the computer in the dark. Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
If pro-gunners are as murderous as anti-gunners claim, why are there so many anti-gunners still running their mouths?
Go to Top of Page

Pop Pop
Advanced Member

USA
1408 Posts

Posted - February 16 2021 :  12:16:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have about 1" of ice and snow this morning with 12 this morning and 18 at 11;00 AM. Forecasted for more snow and freezing rain and 10 for Wednesday night and Thursday morning. Trees limbs are popping from the weight of ice on them.

This is a biggie for Mid TN area0. Not accustomed to these temps and all the ice. Roads, in my area, are covered with solid ice, and snow on top. Temps supposed to moderate on Friday toward the coming weekend. My daughter is feeding and caring for 4 horses during this foul weather. Can not get there to help her. So far water at her barn is not frozen, which is good. Horses can deal with cold temps but must have water, hay, and plenty feed.

Pop Pop
Go to Top of Page

Evan
Administrator

34811 Posts

Posted - February 16 2021 :  1:40:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Been into food storage for 50 years + and have a generator and fuel though we live in the middle of town. We're currently in AZ visiting my wife's 99 year old mother but when we get home later this week we'll check on our neighbors on the small court we live on.

"The greatest thing a Father can do for his children is to love their Mother."

Harold B. Lee

Go to Top of Page

Barry in IN

USA
660 Posts

Posted - February 19 2021 :  02:56:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What's going on in parts of TX should make it clear to most that they are only a couple of days from being hungry. But it won't. It never does.

Closer to home... Last night, even though it wasn't THAT cold, the gun club's clubhouse had a pipe break. The basement flooded and the pump burned out. It's now pumped out, the pipe is capped off, and the pump is replaced. Cost was $3,300 and no water to the men's bathroom.

I'm glad it didn't happen to somebody's house. It was a good reminder how quick bad (and costly) things can happen.

Or my name ain't Nathan Arizona!
Go to Top of Page

Pop Pop
Advanced Member

USA
1408 Posts

Posted - February 19 2021 :  11:07:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My sister-in-law lives in Memphis TN. They are telling them to boil their water before using it. She is on the phone with my wife and wondering where she will get some water. Stores are all out in her area.

How are you all making it during this deep freeze. Got down to 16 here, in mid TN, this morning and forecasted for 13 tonight. Also have 4" of snow with 1" of ice under the snow. Weather forecast is for an up-turn in temps and supposed to be up to the 50 in a couple days. Been below freezing for 9 days (average 10 to 30) with another couple days forecasted before the freezing temps supposed to end. I know you northerners think our temps puny, but it is extremely cold for us southerners.

We have not left out home for 7 days now and waiting for the roads to get better. I have sufficient water and food on hand, but will need some bread and other things perishables soon. Hope you guys are doing well.

Edited to add; My daughter is getting a real education on the horse farm this winter. She now knows why I was working so hard to get her ready as possible, in the short time we had, to prepare for the cold. She took possession of the farm in late October. She, for sure, will prepare better next year, L/w. Nothing like experience to be a wonderful teacher, as you guys know.

Pop Pop

Edited by - Pop Pop on February 19 2021 11:12:43 AM
Go to Top of Page

Arvinator
Advanced Member

USA
5588 Posts

Posted - February 20 2021 :  11:09:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We were lucky. No blackouts or power failures. Had gas fireplace for backup, plenty of batteries, lamps, lanterns, and generator with a spare jug of gasoline. Even a Mr. Buddy heater for the shop that has the cats in it in this single digit even minus 1 temp one morning.

Some people were not prepared at all.

Be honest, fair, and always prepared...
Go to Top of Page

oldmuleskinner
Advanced Member

1023 Posts

Posted - February 21 2021 :  12:03:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a couple of Mr Buddys. They are great and I highly recommend them. I use them in the deer blind and in an enclosed trailer for hunting. They have come in handy when the power has gone out in my kids homes. I have adapters for both that allow connection to a propane tank instead of using the small propane canisters. I also refill the canisters from a propane tank. The ones that I have are the larger models and when they go on sale they are just over $100.

Each of us is an innkeeper, and we decide if there is room for Jesus.
Neal A. Maxwell
Go to Top of Page

Russ Larges

USA
2471 Posts

Posted - February 21 2021 :  09:33:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by oldmuleskinner

I have a couple of Mr Buddys. They are great and I highly recommend them. I use them in the deer blind and in an enclosed trailer for hunting. They have come in handy when the power has gone out in my kids homes. I have adapters for both that allow connection to a propane tank instead of using the small propane canisters. I also refill the canisters from a propane tank. The ones that I have are the larger models and when they go on sale they are just over $100.

Skinner;
How well does the one pond filler work? I have one just never used it.
Russ

The pistol, learn it well, carry it allways. Jeff Cooper
Go to Top of Page

Evan
Administrator

34811 Posts

Posted - February 21 2021 :  12:13:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Go to LDS.org and look for food storage and start to store food and water and a means of staying warm. We started food storage when we were poor married college students and decided that if waited to start food storage and children until we could afford either we'd never have food storage or kids. Our first child was born when we'd been married 10 months.

Hard times are coming and it is almost too late to prepare. In addition to a generator we have a Kerosene heater and alot of fuel. You need to vent you heater but its sill warmer than sleeping in the snow!

"The greatest thing a Father can do for his children is to love their Mother."

Harold B. Lee

Go to Top of Page

oldmuleskinner
Advanced Member

1023 Posts

Posted - February 21 2021 :  2:22:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a small adapter that screws into the 20# tank. The tank valve controls the propane flow. I have another one that I built with an inline valve. It sticks out about 8 inches from the big tank and is easier to work with. I got the info to make it on YouTube.

If you do a search online, you will see some people telling you that it is very dangerous to refill your empty canisters. The only problem is that you can overfill them and if you do and then they are subjected to extreme heat, they might burst.

If you use a big propane tank to fuel a Big Buddy heater, it is very important that you get an inline filter to put on the end of the hose. Mr. Heater sells them for about $10, and they are available locally.

Both of mine are the Big Buddy models and they will run on a 20# tank for about 100 hours on low and about 20 hours on high. They are advertised to be safe for indoor use, but we have used a portable carbon monoxide detector in the room just as a precaution.

Each of us is an innkeeper, and we decide if there is room for Jesus.
Neal A. Maxwell
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.12seconds. Snitz Forums 2000