Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - OK Pigs!
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The Real World
 The Hunting Lodge
 OK Pigs!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5921 Posts

Posted - February 09 2021 :  08:42:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Headed out in a few minutes to try and get a couple of Oklahoma hogs. Supposed to be warmer there than here; 8 degrees at my house now, 18 at Okemah, according to the computer. Highs expected in the upper 20-low 30's, so it will be like basking in tropical sunshine compared to around here the last few days.
Hopefully be back Thursday with pork in the cooler and some decent stories.
We always go with the attitude we'll have a good time no matter what, and usually we have a good time no matter what. Toodles. Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
If pro-gunners are as murderous as anti-gunners claim, why are there so many anti-gunners still running their mouths?

Pop Pop
Advanced Member

USA
1408 Posts

Posted - February 09 2021 :  09:11:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hope luck is with you and you all bring home the bacon. Have a good time. I am going to my daughter's horse farm and do some trail marking today.

Pop Pop

Edited by - Pop Pop on February 09 2021 10:24:39 AM
Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5921 Posts

Posted - February 12 2021 :  2:33:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, over all, a good time was had by everyone involved. There were some mishaps, but nothing that couldn't be overcome. I'd love to go into minute detail, but I hate to waste bandwidth.
Out of four of us, two came away with two pigs, one got one, and the last guy wounded one--and couldn't find it--and missed one. On the missed one, he tried a head shot at about (his estimate) a hundred yards. They found a couple of tiny blood droplets, nothing that would indicate a serious hit, so we figure he just shot a bit high and pierced the pig's ear.
Four of the five taken were well over 100#, from 125# to 198#, the fifth was 89#. Plenty of big hogs there, unlike some places we've been where you're lucky to get one over 80#.
Cold (Mid-teens to lower 20's), and high humidity made for some awful pretty crystal-looking vegetation, frosty gun barrels, numb fingers, and slick underfooting. I have a new scar on the back of my noggin to prove watching your step is a good idea (fortunately they didn't expect me to pay for the rock I cracked with my head). No real injury, a little blood, but it was embarrassing.
With the other guys not wanting to keep the ribs, hearts, or livers, I ended up with a bunch of extra meat in my cooler. My processor said to expect ~125# of meat in the freezer when they finish cutting it up.
Some strange rules at this place, but a comfortable cabin, and friendly folks running it. I plan to go back, but it will be a while. Got a lot of pork to consume/give away first.
Thanks for letting me babble. Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
If pro-gunners are as murderous as anti-gunners claim, why are there so many anti-gunners still running their mouths?
Go to Top of Page

Redheeler
Starting Member

USA
39 Posts

Posted - February 12 2021 :  3:51:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like you had a good time and got some good eating too.
Go to Top of Page

oldmuleskinner
Advanced Member

1023 Posts

Posted - February 12 2021 :  7:03:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like it was a lot of fun!

Each of us is an innkeeper, and we decide if there is room for Jesus.
Neal A. Maxwell
Go to Top of Page

Coop67
Starting Member

USA
12 Posts

Posted - February 13 2021 :  2:53:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Which part of OK did you visit Ace?
Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5921 Posts

Posted - February 13 2021 :  5:29:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We went to Black Mountain Hunts at Okemah. Nice people, lotsa big pigs, some silly rules but nothing to detract from the hunt. I plan to go back, but considering the amount of pork in the freezer and the employment situation, it will be a while. Ace

Go to Top of Page

Coop67
Starting Member

USA
12 Posts

Posted - February 15 2021 :  10:22:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I go to Ponca city and go east. Because of co===d havent been able due to lodging with family. Im thinkin spring break might afford a day or 2.. got a nv scope on a rifle needs to be used.
Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5921 Posts

Posted - February 15 2021 :  10:47:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Back in the fall, while making the arrangements, I asked them to put in for a couple or three inches of snow, to make it easier to see the pigs back in the woods. Guess their connections weren't strong enough; we got frosty, icy weather and temperatures in the 17-25 degree range, and due to the high humidity it felt much colder. The little nephew's AR15 Hog Ham'r rifle misfired several times, apparently due to the cold gumming up the lube on the bolt/firing pin; caused him to miss out on a couple that were bigger than the 198#-er he did shoot.

Normally they provide bedding, but due to the ChiCom Cootie, they had us bring our own sleeping bags; but at least they didn't shut down completely. Ace

Go to Top of Page

Coop67
Starting Member

USA
12 Posts

Posted - February 21 2021 :  9:17:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Same happened a few years back. I used a bushmaster with a thermal on it. Had about 50 to 60 hogs on a picked corn field and went to pop a pair up close and click ugh. Happened a hour later when I had a another pair up close. click This was night time so off they went and I called it a night. Next morning bang bang bang Sometimes Murphy has to put in his 3cents.
Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5921 Posts

Posted - February 22 2021 :  4:16:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did you find a particular problem with the rifle? The little nephew gets really fretful when things like that happen. We talked about what could be wrong, from bolt lube gumming up from the cold to trouble with his reloaded ammo to a slightly short firing pin to porcine guardian angels.
We're meeting for supper tomorrow, so I'll find out what solution he has come up with. Told him he offs just give the rifle away and go back to bolt or lever actions. I have a birthday coming up, we'll see if he takes my advice. Ace

Go to Top of Page

Coop67
Starting Member

USA
12 Posts

Posted - February 23 2021 :  9:51:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The rifle belonged to my cousin who lives down there. I never really did figure out what was up with it. I thought maybe the round wasnt fully seated so after the first oops I let the bolt fall hard. I fired it the next morning and it worked fine. It was weird. I now have a Rem 742 in 3006 with ATN nv scope on it that I havnt had a chance to use yet. Just waiting for a chance to put some big hurt on pigs
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.13seconds. Snitz Forums 2000