Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - Double struck primers
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Shooting
 Wheelgun Chronicles
 Double struck primers
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

Yonder
Average Member

USA
255 Posts

Posted - February 08 2021 :  12:49:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bought a new to me used model 29-3 4 inch blued. Shot yesterday with some hand loaded 300 grain max loads. Thatís just what I had to shoot but not what will be commonly carried in it. Itíll be a 240 green jacket at hollowpoint for walks in the woods. What I noticed was some of the primers had what looked like a double strike after firing one of them centered and another offset may be at 6 oíclock. Anybody else ever experienced this or know what it might be? Is it Frame flex from to hot ammunition? Or ? Thanks. I donít plan on shooting any more of that. I will shoot some moderate velocity cast bullets and some factory 240 as well to see what the results are.

...And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

gw
Advanced Member

4794 Posts

Posted - February 09 2021 :  05:01:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
cylinder backspin and hammer bounce, which are characteristics of the S&W design in heavy recoil.

Not uncommon with 300gr loads

Cylinder stop bounces/unlocks under recoil, cylinder starts to spin backwards. Hammer bounces puts second mark on primer.

Heavier springs help, Ruger Redhawk helps better.

Added: newer enhanced 29s have larger cylnder stop notches and heavier stop spring

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not..."

Edited by - gw on February 09 2021 05:10:21 AM
Go to Top of Page

Yonder
Average Member

USA
255 Posts

Posted - February 10 2021 :  4:57:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks. No need for those heavy loads in this revolver.

...And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.08seconds. Snitz Forums 2000