StoppingPower.net Forums
Home
Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - Making game-point .22?
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Shooting
 The Rimfire Room
 Making game-point .22?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5921 Posts

Posted - January 22 2021 :  6:50:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some time back, somebody on here (I think) had mentioned a little gizmo that you could slip a .22 cartridge in, and the bullet would protrude just a little bit; then you could file that little bit down and make a flat nose on it, and all of them would have an even flat point and keep the weight consistent. I've messed around with just filing the round nose off bullets, to give them a bit more whack (technical term) when they hit tree rats and talibunnies, but I'd like to be able to keep them a bit more uniform. A couple of my rifles are picky enough that if the flat part is off a bit, it pulls the POI off enough to maybe cause a miss or bad hit on the critter. Maybe I'm being a little too particular, but....could anybody here help me remember how to make that little gizmo?

(See, this is what happens when there's nothing to do and the mind wanders.) Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
If pro-gunners are as murderous as anti-gunners claim, why are there so many anti-gunners still running their mouths?

Russ Larges

USA
2471 Posts

Posted - January 22 2021 :  7:28:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jim H. used the male air hose coupling to trim .22lr to a flat nose. I had a block of tool steel drilled and hardened to do the same thing many years ago. I think in some cases it made for a more accurate load. It really works on tree rats.
Russ

The pistol, learn it well, carry it allways. Jeff Cooper
Go to Top of Page

RLS

USA
764 Posts

Posted - January 23 2021 :  1:35:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ace

Read this thread... http://www.stoppingpower.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=28075

Jim's third post in the thread.

Rick
Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5921 Posts

Posted - January 23 2021 :  4:35:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's the one I couldn't find for some reason. Thanks! A quick stop at Lowe's and some drill work, and off we go! Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
If pro-gunners are as murderous as anti-gunners claim, why are there so many anti-gunners still running their mouths?
Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5921 Posts

Posted - January 26 2021 :  12:34:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Was at the farm store today, picking up bird food, took a look at couplers to try for the flat-point conversion. Picked a brass adapter and a 3/8" nylon 'hose barb' coupler. The brass one is a bit too long, but the nylon one fits a .22 cartridge just fine. I'll have to saw it off a little for length, but I'll venture a guess it's gonna work just fine. If accuracy is acceptable after the flattening, it'll save me money on .22 ammo--I'm still occasionally seeing bulk stuff a little cheaper than Hollow Points, when I can find any at all. Ace

Go to Top of Page

Ben B.

677 Posts

Posted - February 01 2021 :  4:28:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Paco Kelly makes a few tools for modifying .22 heads. The ACU’RZR is the original set. I had it years ago when I was chasing .22lr accuracy, tried it out for a few months then sold it to the next guy who wanted to try it.

Search “Paco's Small Custom Tool Company“ for a look.

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it." --Thomas Jefferson
Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5921 Posts

Posted - February 02 2021 :  11:10:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, that looks a whole lot easier than the hose barb and file. I'll be ordering one shortly. (Got confused looking at their order form; thought the price column was saying 5 for $.85, until it clicked that it is $5.85.)
Thanks for the reference. Ace

Go to Top of Page

RLS

USA
764 Posts

Posted - February 02 2021 :  1:06:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ace

Take a closer look at the price It is 85 dollars ($85.00) plus 6 bucks postage. Ninety-one bucks.

Rick
Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5921 Posts

Posted - February 02 2021 :  5:43:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh. Guess I'll just get busy with the hose barb. And maybe clean my glasses... Ace

Go to Top of Page

Ben B.

677 Posts

Posted - February 06 2021 :  5:52:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I looked into this a little more, seems there are a number of makers and sources for the bullet-shaping sets. I didn’t see any for less than $50.

A fella could always post a WTB on RFC for $25 and might score one.

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it." --Thomas Jefferson
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.14seconds. Snitz Forums 2000