Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - Awareness With A Little Naivety Included
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Other
 Miscellaneous
 Awareness With A Little Naivety Included
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Pop Pop
Advanced Member

USA
1321 Posts

Posted - November 21 2020 :  11:46:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am reading a book by Dave Spaulding, "Handgun Combatives". In most books trainers talk about thugs can pick an easy target by the subtle ques one sends froth from the manner they carry themselves and they way they appear to others in public.

Well! I just realized that body language reading also works the other way. Give you an example.

When I was perused in my own front yard, while going to the mail box a few years back by 3 thugs driving down our road, one of them read my body language.

Edited to add: Furtive Movements
As I squared up to the first thugs continued advance toward me, after being told not too, the second pursuer read my intent and stopped in his tracks. Loudly told the other, "it ain't worth getting shot over." Then the first guy stopped his advance. I perceived that they were coming at me in a very hurried pace.

What he read was, when he reached that 28 to 30' line, (I am oLd and slow)I had set in my mind that I was going to react, I dropped the mail, I slumped, crouching forward, run my hand quickly in my pocket, set my feet, and dropped my head in a fighting stance, another follower, of the 3, read my intent that I was preparing to fight, then he/they quickly decided they wanted no part of me. He told the other guy to discontinue his aggression and he did.

I just realized this happened after reading this book. That thug surely read my body language, and backed down, just as I had read theirs.

Now I am not bragging, but was totally glad that the incident ended, with me just being cussed at, by them, and me not being beat to within a inch of my life on that day. They all slowly retreated to their truck, entered it, all the while cursing me. When I got the chance, I beat feted it to my front porch, and collapsed in the front porch swing with knees of jelly. Thanked God my morning was not painful or deadly.

I had no doubt that was what they had intended to do to me. I read the aggressor's body language. Matter of fact, I am convinced they were the ones that almost beat one of my neighbors to a pulp later on that morning. He was doing the same thing as me, except he was 84 and legally blind, but had a little peripheral vision. His son told me he never really recovered after the beating and robbery.

Poor guy died 3 weeks later. Since he didn't die shortly after the severe beating they said he died of old age. Makes the crime stats look better for the county.

That body language reading goes both ways, guys. Trainers have been beating that into our heads, for sure, for years.

I was a little na´ve in thinking I could continue to go to my mail box, as I had previously done for 30 years, IN This Day-In-Time. Almost paid a big price for being na´ve guys.

I post this here so some of you young guys can learn from my experience. Many older guys here have traveled miles down this path.

Dave said, "If you look like meat, they will most likely eat."

Pop Pop

Edited by - Pop Pop on November 21 2020 11:52:39 AM

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5830 Posts

Posted - November 21 2020 :  6:29:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We all tend to 'read body language'--ie: 'profile'--every day. Those of us who are defensive-minded tend to realize we're doing it, and it simply becomes part of our mindset. No way to quantify it, but I believe this type of profiling has probably saved a lot of lives; also neglecting this type of profiling has cost blood and lives.

My apologies for using the 'P' word (not really). Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
If pro-gunners are as murderous as anti-gunners claim, why are there so many anti-gunners still running their mouths?
Go to Top of Page

heavyweight

USA
864 Posts

Posted - November 21 2020 :  9:02:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pop Pop's comment made me think back about 27 years ago. My wife and I were having tires put on the car. While we were waiting, we walked approximately 150 yards to a strip mall. We were just killing time and browsing. As we went from store to store, I noticed that a mangy looking individual would come into the same store just a couple minutes later. This happened 6-7 times. As it was getting late and it was dark, we started walking towards the tire store. Well who decides to follow us to the store? Yep. I was carrying our 2 years old son and looked back to see him closing in distance. I told the wife that I thought this guy was following us. She looked back at him also. I handed her the boy and put my hands in my coat pockets where I was carrying a Smith 442. At that time the guy peeled off and went in another direction. The fact that I looked back at him, said something to the wife and she looked back at him, then I handed her the toddler and put my hands in my coat pockets...I firmly believe to this day that he sensed that bad things would happen to him if he tried to victimize us. I am of the opinion that the two legged predators are just like the four legged ones. They look for the weak, the old, the sick and want nothing to do with any situation that might get themselves hurt or killed. BTW...I'm glad this informative site is back. Good to hear from some of the folks. God Bless.
Go to Top of Page

Charlie Foxtrot
Average Member

281 Posts

Posted - November 21 2020 :  9:19:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave Spaulding has some very good material. His videos are very informative. He has posted on this forum using the name dspaulding. Not sure why he stopped posting here, but you can search this forum to see his posts.
Go to Top of Page

Pop Pop
Advanced Member

USA
1321 Posts

Posted - November 22 2020 :  08:00:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Heavyweight, my situation happened very fast. My house is 300' from the road and I had a bad knee and was walking slow. I have since had the knee replaced. These 3 guys were just driving the back roads doing what predator's do. I happened to become the object of their pray. Had I not been willing to fight I would have become my poor neighbor. I believe that with all my being. They sped up my driveway and got between me and the house. I had no choice, but to confront them. However I posted this so others can know body language is readable by you, and predator's. You got to walk around and know what is taking place around you when out in public. Awareness.

Like Copper said, when developing the color code of awareness and action. You leave the house, you batter be in condition yellow. The 4 part color code; color white=in your locked house in the lazy boy at rest, Yellow=become aware of your surroundings, orange=your perceive a threat, the color red=your ready to fight. Jeff Copper's 4 part color code of awareness, going from rest to action. Heavyweight, whether you knew the color code or not, you and I both lived it in real time. Anyone has to see the threat before one can react to it. Awareness gives one time to react. In my incident, The very act of the guy leaving the driver's seat, in the manner he did, I knew, at that moment, I was most likely in trouble. I started toward my house, but they were having none of that. I had no choice left but to confront them.

Ace, profile is not a dirty word, in my opinion.

Edited to add; A big mistake I made was, I should have reported my incident to the Sheriff after I got back to the house. Just maybe they could have caught them, before the left my neighbor beaten and robbed.

Pop Pop

Edited by - Pop Pop on November 22 2020 08:11:19 AM
Go to Top of Page

Pop Pop
Advanced Member

USA
1321 Posts

Posted - November 22 2020 :  08:29:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I sit down and think about this incident that changed my perception on my well being, I shudder to think of what Evan, and many on this site, and what they went through in this Police Officer carriers. Setting aside my year in Vietnam, I have had 3 incidences in my life that help shape my thinking toady. One would have to be stupid not to learn from your life experiences.

Pop Pop
Go to Top of Page

Arvinator
Advanced Member

USA
5546 Posts

Posted - November 22 2020 :  4:57:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We all learn from the mistakes we survive. I've read articles from Dave and many others, including that Mr. Evan Marshall dude.

Situation awareness and having the mindset to act helped me personally in my limited amount of scrapes I've seen and experienced.

Good post to remind us all.

Be honest, fair, and always prepared...
Go to Top of Page

Charlie Foxtrot
Average Member

281 Posts

Posted - November 25 2020 :  8:21:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Speaking of the Color Codes of Awareness, many years ago, Evan wrote an excellent commentary about them which he posted on this website. It's worth taking a look to refresh your memory and see Evan's important modifications to the codes.

http://www.stoppingpower.net/commentary/comm_color_codes.asp
Go to Top of Page

jle3030
Advanced Member

USA
5629 Posts

Posted - November 25 2020 :  9:22:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've lost track of the number of articles I've read about how not to reveal the fact that you're carrying concealed. Of course the bad guys know all about those "tells". So it's just as Heavyweight related. Basic demeanor plus perhaps a subtle movement that suggests the presence of a gun and willingness to use it can go a long way toward heading off an unfortunate confrontation. One "it happened to me" story involved an armed individual who was being tailed by a couple thugs. Expecting an imminent attack, he reached down and cleared his coat tail for unobstructed access to the gun on his hip. That was all it took. The two thugs instantly peeled off. Bad guys probably profile more intently than we do.

Jeff

jle3030
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.14seconds. Snitz Forums 2000