Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - Subsonic Ammo
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Shooting
 The Rimfire Room
 Subsonic Ammo
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

Pop Pop
Advanced Member

USA
1321 Posts

Posted - November 12 2020 :  06:08:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just purchased a box of CCI 22 LR Subsonic Ammo. I am using it in a Mdl 60 Marlin to shoot squirrels. So far I have killed 4 with the ammo and it seems to be shooting to point of am of the other Winchester 36 gr ammo I was using previously.

I wanted to get some quieter ammo, for the neighbors sake, and it seems to not have the big crack of the regular ammo. It cycles the action (5 times) so far.

Have any of you any experience with Subsonic ammo. This is my first time for me.

Pop Pop

jle3030
Advanced Member

USA
5629 Posts

Posted - November 12 2020 :  07:00:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've used RWS and Eley with great success. Quiet and very accurate from a Marlin 39A. Effective on squirrels.

Jeff

jle3030
Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5830 Posts

Posted - November 12 2020 :  08:42:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a Ruger 1022 and a Henry lever-action that both like the Remington SubSonic HP round; other subsonic brands seem to work fine, too. I sight my .22's in dead-on at 25 yards, with standard velocity and high velocity loads, for squirrel and rabbit purposes. My experience has been that out to 25-30 yards, there has been no significant POI change with subsonic loads. I haven't experimented with longer ranges, but country-boy logic says that the farther out the target, the more drop the subsonic loads would occur; plus the loss of energy the bullet would place on target (which shouldn't be a big issue on .22-size critters at any reasonable distance). Also been my experience that head-shot tree rats and bunnies don't seem to care whether the bullet is travelling 900fps, ~1200fps, or ~1400fps.
The only problem I've had with subsonic loads is from one old Marlin Model 75 (I think). It's a neat little compact, tube-fed semi-auto, but it won't function with subsonics; very accurate with them, but apparently not enough poop (technical term) to eject and feed reliably.
Have fun with your set-up, Pop. Old squirrels make a great pot pie, young ones are right tasty fried. Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
If pro-gunners are as murderous as anti-gunners claim, why are there so many anti-gunners still running their mouths?
Go to Top of Page

Pop Pop
Advanced Member

USA
1321 Posts

Posted - November 12 2020 :  11:30:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Season is open right now, but I am having a long term problem with the gray ones. I have red squirrels that do not bother me at all so I don't do anything against them, however those devilish gray rodents are about to eat us out of house and home. They have cost me big in the last 18 months. I eliminate every one I see. It is a must to keep their numbers down. If and when they get overpopulated they start eating on my RV, House and Vehicles.

The Subsonic is working out fine so far. Two yesterday and one today.

Pop Pop

Edited by - Pop Pop on November 12 2020 11:31:39 AM
Go to Top of Page

Frogfoot

USA
886 Posts

Posted - November 13 2020 :  01:03:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Although it can be hard to find, CCI Quiet Segmented Hollow Point seems like it would be an excellent loading for the nearly silent elimination of squirrels. Of course, due to the lack of power, it turns your Marlin into a straight pull, but at across the yard distances, it should work fine.

We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give. - Sir Winston Churchill
Go to Top of Page

Pop Pop
Advanced Member

USA
1321 Posts

Posted - November 13 2020 :  6:42:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frogfoot, I a shooting CCI Segmented H P s 40 gr, and they are cycling my Mdl 60. I have shot 10 so far and no FTF or FTE.

Pop Pop
Go to Top of Page

Pop Pop
Advanced Member

USA
1321 Posts

Posted - November 17 2020 :  7:37:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had my first failure to cycle today. It did not eject the spent casing. I had to cycle the bolt myself and put an new round in the chamber. I have fired about 15 rounds through the Mdl 60 Marlin with 1 failure. The rounds are traveling slower the regular 22 LR and I can hear the smack as the bullet hits the squirrels. I am satisfied with the CCI Subsonic 22 LR Ammo. It is about 1/3 quieter that full power 22 LR. My wife says she can really tell it is quieter. I am sure my neighbors appreciate that.

Pop Pop
Go to Top of Page

Redheeler
Starting Member

USA
31 Posts

Posted - November 18 2020 :  7:49:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you can adjust your recoil spring to make it a shade bit lighter that will take care of the fte. They are just enough lighter load that depending on the rifle they sometimes just donít quite may things work right.
Go to Top of Page

oldmuleskinner

990 Posts

Posted - November 20 2020 :  12:09:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You might want to check out Aguila ammo online. Aguila Colibri and Super Colibri use a 22lr case with a 20 gr bullet. They have muzzle velocities of 420 and 590 fps respectively. From what I understand, they donít use any powder, just a heavy dose of primer. They wonít cycle a semi-auto, but they are super quiet. I havenít shot the Supers, but the Standard one (490fps) sounds like a quiet hand slap.

Aguila has quite an assortment of rimfire ammo,,,lots of sub-sonics including a 60gr lr solid at 950 fps.

Each of us is an innkeeper, and we decide if there is room for Jesus.
Neal A. Maxwell
Go to Top of Page

Pop Pop
Advanced Member

USA
1321 Posts

Posted - November 20 2020 :  10:34:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I really like the segmented bullet design. Supposedly the bullet splits into 3 segments, upon contact with the target, and cuts down on long range collateral damage. I shot a squirrel the other day and I heard the bullet hit with a big thud. I have never heard that from a full power 22 LR. The subsonic fill the niche I need it for and I have not had another failure. I can live with one every now and then. I may need to lube my rifle to help. I will spray a little break free in the chamber and slick it up. I used Fluid Film, but took my can to the farm to use on a bush hog PTO connector that was hard to rotate. That stuff is slick as snot.

Pop Pop
Go to Top of Page

Pop Pop
Advanced Member

USA
1321 Posts

Posted - November 20 2020 :  10:54:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Skinner, I am not acquainted with Aguila but have seen it in gun stores. Yes they do have a lot of flavors of it. If I can find a single shot or bolt rifle, to purchase, I might try some. Right now all I have is semi autos.

Pop Pop
Go to Top of Page

oldmuleskinner

990 Posts

Posted - November 20 2020 :  11:50:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My guess, and only a guess, is that they would feed fine in a semi-auto due to the length of the cartridge...they would just need for the action to be manually cycled to eject the fired cartridge and feed the new one.

Each of us is an innkeeper, and we decide if there is room for Jesus.
Neal A. Maxwell
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.11seconds. Snitz Forums 2000