StoppingPower.net Forums
Home
Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - Thoughts on red dot, slide mounted sights.
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Be Prepared
 Concealed Carry
 Thoughts on red dot, slide mounted sights.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

Chris Christian
Advanced Member

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - March 05 2020 :  1:54:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was reading a typical 'Ninja internet' post regarding red dot sights. The dissertation was that the sights that have a 'motion activated' system are just great for carrying on your CCW gun in the holster, because it can be turned on and go to 'sleep' and the 'first movement' of the gun wakes the sleeping sight up and turns the dot on. And that saves battery life. I had to laugh

I have several such sights on my competition guns. They go to sleep after I finish the stage, put the gun back in the bag, and set it down until I'm called to shoot the next stage. Then, when I pick up the gun bag, that movement turns the sight back on. It doesn't take much movement for the sight to go from 'sleep' to 'awake'. Picking up the bag does it.

I'm wondering how motionless the Internet Ninja could be... with the gun in a holster on their body... during the course of their normal daily movements/activities. Any movement will turn on the sight.

I'm guessing that zero movement could be achieved by the 'Ninja' if 'it' was seated at a computer in it's mother's basement. But, beyond that, normal bodily movements would keep the sight in the 'awake' mode.

Chris Christian
There are those who make things happen. There are those who watch things happen. There are those who wonder What The Heck happened! Pick one.

Edited by - Chris Christian on March 05 2020 2:05:14 PM

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5800 Posts

Posted - March 05 2020 :  3:31:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
According to my research, a Mall Ninja would be capable of moving smoothly enough to avoid 'waking up' the sight; the Internet Ninja would need advanced training--in the confines of Mom's basement, for secret security purposes--before he/she would be able to move that smooth, after which he/she would be permitted to venture forth to the mall.

Obviously, Chris, you need more training or practice in smoothly picking up and moving your bag. Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
If pro-gunners are as murderous as anti-gunners claim, why are there so many anti-gunners still running their mouths?
Go to Top of Page

Chris Christian
Advanced Member

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - March 05 2020 :  5:08:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ace

According to my research, a Mall Ninja would be capable of moving smoothly enough to avoid 'waking up' the sight; the Internet Ninja would need advanced training--in the confines of Mom's basement, for secret security purposes--before he/she would be able to move that smooth, after which he/she would be permitted to venture forth to the mall.

Obviously, Chris, you need more training or practice in smoothly picking up and moving your bag. Ace

Good advice, Ace. I'll check the internet and see what type of advanced Ninja training is available

Chris Christian
There are those who make things happen. There are those who watch things happen. There are those who wonder What The Heck happened! Pick one.
Go to Top of Page

Badge
Advanced Member

USA
1731 Posts

Posted - March 05 2020 :  7:44:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chris,.... personally I've never become enamored with the sights you describe. At least on a handgun. Bomars are probable my favorite fighting sights. I'm glad I'm not a Ninja.

MSS
Go to Top of Page

Chris Christian
Advanced Member

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - March 06 2020 :  06:28:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Badge

Chris,.... personally I've never become enamored with the sights you describe. At least on a handgun. Bomars are probable my favorite fighting sights. I'm glad I'm not a Ninja.

I don't put them on my carry guns either. But they are fun for competition, and if they break (they have) or the battery dies during a match, I'm only out the match. They are a big help for old eyes.

Chris Christian
Go to Top of Page

hopleyyeaton

USA
132 Posts

Posted - March 06 2020 :  12:46:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anyone recall the "Deadliest Warrior" TV show that was on for a few seasons several years ago? IIRC in one episode a ninja was bested by a Spartan. Brute power overcame stealth.
Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5800 Posts

Posted - March 06 2020 :  6:06:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From having only handled, not shot, some different model pistols mounted with RD sights, I'm not overly impressed with the idea for social work. Just playing with them, I haven't been able to get the dot to come naturally to my eye. Would hate to get perforated during the time I'm trying to locate the dot and put it on the bad guy's shirt button. No doubt, with training and practice, that could be overcome--but not for me. IF I just had to have something on a carry gun that makes a red dot, I'd rather do a laser--and I'm not overly fond of those, either, as a general rule.

But, no doubt, as time goes by, this too will become required equipment for the fashionably favored citizen warrior, and I'll be left again on the anachronism floor. I was sure nobody serious would consider carrying plastic pistols, .40S&W ammo, and that new thing about loading gun powder into a little metal cylinder, and plugging one end with a percussion cap and the other end with a piece of lead. Seems I was only kinda correct in re: the .40; the other two ideas seem to have caught on with a lot of people. Ace

edit to add: And, to stay true to my sometimes-hypocritical nature, I did mount a RD sight on my 5" .44 GP100. Still need to sight it in, but playing with it, I'm thinking it will be a fun and effective pig/deer pistol---but it still doesn't come naturally to the eye yet. Ace again

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
If pro-gunners are as murderous as anti-gunners claim, why are there so many anti-gunners still running their mouths?
Go to Top of Page

WR Moore
Advanced Member

USA
1031 Posts

Posted - June 11 2020 :  6:35:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Due to aged eyes, I've started experimenting with an optic. Right now, it's on a dovetail mount where the rear sight used to be. No front sight. Having decades of flash sight picture/Stressfire point index use, I found that it's disconcerting not to pick up the front sight as the handgun is coming up. Also plays hob with subconscious correction of alignment with the target.

However, ifn you do it right, the major issue is a tendency to over precision. Training issue. Up close this was only costing about 0.02 or so seconds. Ifn you do it wrong, not having a front sight really screwed things up and the bulk of the optic prevented using the slide as a reference. However, out yonder, it's great!

Sometime later this month I'm gonna ship the spare slide off to get machined for a lower mount and suppressor sights installed. I'll advise what differences that may make.

I can see why the DOD is interested. The optic should be outstanding with night vision. It's very, very good in low light.

Oh, the one I've got has either manual or automatic control of dot intensity. In bright light, the auto selection is brighter than optimal. I guess better than wondering where the dot is. OTOH, in dim light/weapon mounted light, it's great. Swapping between modes can be time consuming (up to 10 seconds) and probably not something you'd want to do in the middle of something.

Off the top of my head, fogging from going quickly from AC to hot, humid is going to be a concern. As is something that results in not being able to see through the lens. Haven't seen a handgun optic with a QD mount yet.

Beware the politically obsessed. They are often bright and interesting, but they have something missing in their natures, there is a hole, an empty place and they use politics to fill it up. It leaves them somehow misshapen. Peggy Noonan

Edited by - WR Moore on June 11 2020 6:39:10 PM
Go to Top of Page

Frogfoot

USA
879 Posts

Posted - June 12 2020 :  10:22:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I recently mounted a Burris Fastfire III on a Glock 40 MOS and I still need to get it to a bench to get it sighted in properly. I did note that the threaded battery compartment cap can get cross-threaded VERY easily.

We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give. - Sir Winston Churchill
Go to Top of Page

Tom-R2
Starting Member

USA
41 Posts

Posted - June 16 2020 :  7:57:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have had a Trijicon RMR mounted on my Glock 23 for about 3 years now. I feel like I pick it up rather well now. It doesn't interfere with IWB carry, I figured it would. I've never carried it with the 40S&W barrel, I've always carried it with the 357SIG barrel. I sent the slide off and had it milled and the RMR mounted and the slide Cerakoted. It's got supressor sights. I use the auto brightness setting that works fairly well, it adjusts rather quickly moving from dark to light. However, if it's dark, and I would be using a flashlight to illuminate the room ahead of me the electric eye on the RMR doesn't pick up the brightness ahead of me and brighten the red dot. I just try to focus on either the dot or the front sight whichever I see first. Seeing one generally allows me to see the other, the red dot sits right on top of the front sight through the window. So far, I've changed the battery once, I made sure the red dot was sitting exactly on top of the front sight the way it had been, then took it to the range and verified that it was on target. It was right on. So I'm liking my RMR setup.
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.17seconds. Snitz Forums 2000