Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - Cup Based WCs
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Shooting
 Wheelgun Chronicles
 Cup Based WCs
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jim Higginbotham

USA
9868 Posts

Posted - February 14 2020 :  09:19:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Evan mentioned on another busier thread that he could not get hollow based wad-cutters to stabilize in a short barrel. I've experienced the same thing. A good friend ordered some factory loaded backwards wadcutters from Atomic and I shot 5 out of my 2.25" 640 .357 every one of them tumbled!

I seem to recall back in the day there were other types of wad-cutters, one was the "cup based" which had a wide but shallow depression in the base - the Brits loaded ammo with the cup forward and called it a "man stopper" load.

I've been looking for some to try in .38 and .45 but haven't been able to locate any - have they disappeared.

I guess I could get out the old bullet swage and make some - if I wasn't so lazy

Jim H.

Get the Weaponcraft Journal on Amazon: Print or Kindle!

Edited by - Jim Higginbotham on February 14 2020 09:21:17 AM

Evan
Administrator

34685 Posts

Posted - February 14 2020 :  1:08:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'M NOT LAZY BUT DO BELIEVE IN THE CONSERVATION OF ENERGY.

"The greatest thing a Father can do for his children is to love their Mother."

Harold B. Lee

Go to Top of Page

Evan
Administrator

34685 Posts

Posted - February 14 2020 :  2:25:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Colt snubs would fly them straight and true

Harold B. Lee

Go to Top of Page

Russ Larges

USA
2445 Posts

Posted - February 14 2020 :  3:41:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have, in the distant past, tried hollow based wadcutters loaded backwards. Shot out of a 4" Ruger speed six, most tumbled at 5-7 yards.
I have tried the new Federal load that looks like a hollow base loaded backwards, They did not tumble but shot very low at the above distance. Have not seen a speed six since I sold mine, Would love to have one with a 3" barrel.
Russ

The pistol, learn it well, carry it allways. Jeff Cooper

Edited by - Russ Larges on February 14 2020 3:43:34 PM
Go to Top of Page

Pop Pop
Advanced Member

USA
1251 Posts

Posted - February 14 2020 :  7:01:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Russ, gave a 3" speed six to my granddaughter last fall. It was in 90% condition. I found it in a pawn shop 15 years ago and paid 200.00 OTD for it. She loves it.

Pop Pop
Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5771 Posts

Posted - February 14 2020 :  7:12:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pop, you need to quit telling those stories, you're bringing tears to my eyes (not the sentimental stuff about giving guns to grandkids; that $200 part just makes me wanna cry).

BITD, I was shooting backwards wadcutters out of a 4" Security Six for a while. Dunno how fast they were moving, but they were warmer than a .38, cooler than a .357. A guy would load them for me, for just the price of components; as I recall, they always poked nice round holes in paper. I quit them when I found information from some guy who had done a lot of research and said that 125gr .357's--the Federal brand as I recall--had something like a 90+% one-shot-stop rate in real shootings (first I'd ever heard the O-S-S term). At the time, shooting such heavy loads didn't hurt me, so I switched to that. Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
If pro-gunners are as murderous as anti-gunners claim, why are there so many anti-gunners still running their mouths?
Go to Top of Page

USA
211 Posts

Posted - February 14 2020 :  11:19:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jim Higginbotham:
Evan mentioned on another busier thread that he could not get hollow based wad-cutters to stabilize in a short barrel. I've experienced the same thing. A good friend ordered some factory loaded backwards wadcutters from Atomic and I shot 5 out of my 2.25" 640 .357 every one of them tumbled!

Jim H.

I used to shoot a lot of 50 yd. and then 25 yd. police matches with 148 gr. DEWC's and 148 gr. LHBWC's, and they always punched a nice round hole. Never a keyhole, and I used a variety of handguns. Some 50 yd. county matches I used a 6" bbl. S&W 19, but most matches, at both yardages, I used a 2" Ruger Speed Six or 4" S&W Model 19 or Model 66 at times, but perhaps 60-70% were with my 3' S&W Model 13 or 4' HB Model 10.

The "Backwards Bullets" my brother Ed loaded (the 148 gr. HBWC seated backwards) had a gas check and he warmed them up to 5 fps of 845. Ed used his 3" Model 28 and 4" HB Model 10 and I stuck with my 3" Model 13 and 4" HB Model 10 when he made those loads. I never experienced a keyhole.

Never fired them in anything shorter than a 2" Speed Six. I might track down some of the Atomic you mentioned and give them a try.

'840'

Yes, I too have my semi-autos, but folks need to credit the serious versatility of a good revolver with a serviceable load.
Go to Top of Page

Jim Higginbotham

USA
9868 Posts

Posted - February 15 2020 :  7:13:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Evan

Colt snubs would fly them straight and true

I never shot PPC but there was always that thing about Colt barrels stabilizing wadcutters better - I think they were about 2" faster in twist?

I know I gave the son a "Smolt" (a Model 19 S&W with a Python barrel) for Christmas a few years back - it is awfully accurate!

Jim

Go to Top of Page

Jim Higginbotham

USA
9868 Posts

Posted - February 15 2020 :  7:15:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 840

Jim Higginbotham:

Jim H.

I used to shoot a lot of 50 yd. and then 25 yd. police matches with 148 gr. DEWC's and 148 gr. LHBWC's, and they always punched a nice round hole. Never a keyhole, and I used a variety of handguns. Some 50 yd. county matches I used a 6" bbl. S&W 19, but most matches, at both yardages, I used a 2" Ruger Speed Six or 4" S&W Model 19 or Model 66 at times, but perhaps 60-70% were with my 3' S&W Model 13 or 4' HB Model 10.

The "Backwards Bullets" my brother Ed loaded (the 148 gr. HBWC seated backwards) had a gas check and he warmed them up to 5 fps of 845. Ed used his 3" Model 28 and 4" HB Model 10 and I stuck with my 3" Model 13 and 4" HB Model 10 when he made those loads. I never experienced a keyhole.

Never fired them in anything shorter than a 2" Speed Six. I might track down some of the Atomic you mentioned and give them a try.

'840'

I have the feeling the longer barrels, even 3", might give enough speed to stabilize them.

Jim H.

Go to Top of Page

Nanuk

USA
833 Posts

Posted - February 17 2020 :  12:58:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have shot lots of smith snubbies and they all worked fine with WC's.

"May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't." Gen. George Patton
Go to Top of Page

Evan
Administrator

34685 Posts

Posted - February 17 2020 :  6:27:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
loaded backwards-hollow base forward?

Harold B. Lee

Go to Top of Page

Nanuk

USA
833 Posts

Posted - February 18 2020 :  1:38:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Evan

loaded backwards-hollow base forward?

Nope. My Dad and I tried those in 1982. They sucked, broke apart, tumbled....

"May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't." Gen. George Patton
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.16seconds. Snitz Forums 2000