Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - What do you think about the brownells ar 15
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Shooting
 The Rifle Rack
 What do you think about the brownells ar 15
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

agent00

Austria
174 Posts

Posted - January 16 2020 :  04:48:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I used to own a Styr Aug Z for quite some time until I had to sell it. I got the Aug back then because it was quite easily available in Austria and I was very familiar with the Design of it thanks to my time in the Austrian Army during my Basic Military Training.

Getting an AR type rifle was on my wishlist for a long time though.

Now as my financial Situation would alloy it I am in the planning process to get another .223 semi Auto rifle.

And what do you know this time it is going to be an Ar 15. I have done some Research already and found the brownells ar 15 line that is available in Austria as well and they look interesting.

The other easily available ar 15 type would be the Oberland arms OA 15.

Do you guys here have any experience with the Brownells Ar 15 and would you recommend them or should I start Looking somewhere else?

Thanks for the help in Advance.

Evan
Administrator

34897 Posts

Posted - January 16 2020 :  12:28:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nope though it's hard to screw up an AR and Brownell's makes quality stuff.

"The greatest thing a Father can do for his children is to love their Mother."

Harold B. Lee

Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
6053 Posts

Posted - January 16 2020 :  6:44:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Personally, I'd trust Brownell's quality. Haven't looked at their AR line, so don't know if they are actually building them, or another company builds them and Brownell's puts their moniker on it. BUT I wouldn't expect them to endorse/sell anything low quality.
AR15's are fun--like somebody said, Barbie dolls for men (are we allowed to say that nowadays?) Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
If pro-gunners are as murderous as anti-gunners claim, why are there so many anti-gunners still running their mouths?
Go to Top of Page

Jim Higginbotham

USA
9868 Posts

Posted - January 20 2020 :  08:29:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sadly, I cannot add to the knowledge on this but I will echo the above, anything Brownells cares to put their name on is likely good stuff.

Jim H.

Get the Weaponcraft Journal on Amazon: Print or Kindle!
Go to Top of Page

agent00

Austria
174 Posts

Posted - January 22 2020 :  06:16:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for your replies guys. Have done some more research and the Brownells guns seem to have a good reputation. Have done some more research and they also offer a 308 win version in Austria. Initially i wanted a .223 rem rifle but having something in 308 would also be quite nice. Especially since the Ar10 is a nice rifle design with an interesting history. The 308 caliber would limit the use of the rifle in a home defense scenario as 308 is way too much for that purpose. But never mind. My main home defense weapon is my 12 gauge baikal coach gun anyway.

Do you have guys have experience with an Ar Rifle in 308 winchester? Is a neat rifle for the cartridge or is it too light for caliber and some more heavier classic designs like the m14 or FN Fal would be a more better choice?
Go to Top of Page

Jim Higginbotham

USA
9868 Posts

Posted - January 22 2020 :  08:13:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by agent00

Thanks for your replies guys. Have done some more research and the Brownells guns seem to have a good reputation. Have done some more research and they also offer a 308 win version in Austria. Initially i wanted a .223 rem rifle but having something in 308 would also be quite nice. Especially since the Ar10 is a nice rifle design with an interesting history. The 308 caliber would limit the use of the rifle in a home defense scenario as 308 is way too much for that purpose. But never mind. My main home defense weapon is my 12 gauge baikal coach gun anyway.

Do you have guys have experience with an Ar Rifle in 308 winchester? Is a neat rifle for the cartridge or is it too light for caliber and some more heavier classic designs like the m14 or FN Fal would be a more better choice?

I have shot several AR-10s or other AR type .308s. My own AR-10 is with the thin barrel it weighs 7.7 lbs empty but 11 lbs loaded with 1-4x scope and Sling - I consider it too heavy to be "handy" - it weighs about the same as my SOCOM-16 with Scout Scope but is not as quick to the first shot.

It is however accurate and, so far, reliable.

I'd much rather have a .308 or 12 ga. for self defense than the "turbo .22" (though I've shot a good bit of game with that round, never was impressed).

Jim H.

Get the Weaponcraft Journal on Amazon: Print or Kindle!
Go to Top of Page

agent00

Austria
174 Posts

Posted - January 22 2020 :  08:55:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the information Mr Higginbotham . And do not me wrong. I do not think that the 308 is bad round for home protection. On the contrary it is very potent round for sure. Just too much gun for an indoor self defense scenario considering the muzzle blast.

But under some circumstances with a fast expanding JHP or JSP round the 308 might be a great hd round. It is just not the right choice for a short range indoor defense rifle.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.11seconds. Snitz Forums 2000