Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - Modifications, ill-advised and other
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Be Prepared
 Concealed Carry
 Modifications, ill-advised and other
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

fsilber

USA
531 Posts

Posted - December 30 2019 :  10:50:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some handgun modifications are known to be discouraged by many on a carry gun as creating an opening for a malicious prosecutor, e.g. deactivating a safety, installing a competition trigger on a carry gun, engraving provocative messages.

I find I shoot noticeably better with a trigger-stop that limits over-travel. Most are implemented via a screw that screws into the back of the trigger. You screw it in to the length that lets the gun fire, but allows the trigger to go no further.

I've been told not to use them on a carry gun because the screw can "adjust itself" thereby tying up the gun and preventing it from firing.

However, what I have done is attach a small clump of epoxy paste to the back of the metal trigger. I then sanded it down until it reliably allows the sear to break. So it cannot get out of "adjustment."

When it comes to legal liabilities, obviously the safest, simplest thing to do is to keep the gun box-stock. However, some modifications, like replacing the grips of a revolver, are seen as neutral -- nothing to worry about. What about my epoxy trigger stop? The only negative I can think of is if a grain of sand somehow stuck to the back of it -- I would have to squeeze the trigger hard. Safety is in no way compromised, and if I can better hit what I'm aiming at -- is there any way a court could twist this in a negative way?

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5771 Posts

Posted - December 31 2019 :  08:54:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
'...any way a court could twist this in a negative way?'--remember, you'll be dealing with lawyers, so even if Gramma Gertie fell out of her wheelchair in the middle of traffic and you rescue her, a lawyer will find something negative if he might get paid.

I'm not a fan of changing the 'mechanics' of a defensive gun from out-of-the-box, but if/when I want/need to do such a thing, I have it done by a certified gunsmith or, in particular, a friend who has contracted with the .gov to do repair/maintenance on our soldiers' weapons. Dunno if it would help in court, but I figure it would make it somewhat more defensible. I avoid kitchen table Bubba 'smiths like the plague.

'Cosmetic' changes that don't affect the mechanical operation of the gun, like grips, sights, and such, I don't worry about doing myself. Then again, lawyers.... Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
If pro-gunners are as murderous as anti-gunners claim, why are there so many anti-gunners still running their mouths?
Go to Top of Page

jle3030
Advanced Member

USA
5595 Posts

Posted - December 31 2019 :  09:11:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
An unscrupulous lawyer can twist anything. I think the fact that so many lawyers become politicians is one of the major contributors to chaos in our society as a whole.

That said, if you can articulate - better yet quantify - the benefits of your modification, a good lawyer should be able to argue your case in court. Ayoob has recommended preemptive documentation by placing evidence of prior knowledge in a sealed envelope and sending it to yourself via registered mail. Having it notarized wouldn't hurt either. In this case a person might save targets shot with and without the modification in question.

Jeff

jle3030
Go to Top of Page

Chris Christian
Advanced Member

USA
3714 Posts

Posted - December 31 2019 :  10:56:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One aftermarket modification that will be hard for even the slimiest lawyer (yes, I know, redundant) to turn against you is more visible/effective sights.
The gun owner can merely say "My training has ingrained into me the fact that I am responsible for every round I fire if, God forbid, I ever have to use my firearm to defend myself and loved ones. The sights that came on the handgun were not precise enough, so I replaced them with sights that gave me much better control regarding bullet placement. I felt that would help prevent stray rounds that might strike innocent bystanders."
OK prosecutor... turn that against me

Chris Christian
There are those who make things happen. There are those who watch things happen. There are those who wonder What The Heck happened! Pick one.
Go to Top of Page

Evan
Administrator

34685 Posts

Posted - December 31 2019 :  6:02:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
when we setup Detroit SWAT I reminded the other trainers we don't want to give them a road map to sue us.

The fish would have never been caught if he hadn't opened his mouth!

"The greatest thing a Father can do for his children is to love their Mother."

Harold B. Lee

Go to Top of Page

montanaman
Advanced Member

1157 Posts

Posted - February 03 2020 :  6:51:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've read quite a bit that Ayoob has written, about unscrupulous prosecutors going after cops and citizens who were in shootings, and the points he makes about not carrying 'Bad-sounding' guns, handloads, or trigger jobs are very legitimate.

Paladin didn't need a semi-auto, or a laser sight, and always carried an extra gun.
Go to Top of Page

Evan
Administrator

34685 Posts

Posted - February 03 2020 :  7:51:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sometimes but i never saw one in Detroit. my guns are bone stock with factory ammo.

"The greatest thing a Father can do for his children is to love their Mother."

Harold B. Lee

Go to Top of Page

exfed2002
Advanced Member

1262 Posts

Posted - February 04 2020 :  7:09:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fsilber

However, what I have done is attach a small clump of epoxy paste to the back of the metal trigger. I then sanded it down until it reliably allows the sear to break. So it cannot get out of "adjustment."

I've done the same with my 229DAO and my 250. In the case of the 250, I put the stop on the grip. I make my little tabs out of JB Weld.

"The answer is there is no answer."
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.08seconds. Snitz Forums 2000