StoppingPower.net Forums
Home
Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - Inclement Weather concerns?
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Shooting
 Precision Battle Rifle
 Inclement Weather concerns?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

Dov
Advanced Member

USA
2768 Posts

Posted - December 15 2019 :  02:25:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Any thoughts about bad weather and long arms?

When I was younger I liked irons over optics but am starting to favor optics. Older eyes are part of that.

Been thinking about some of the "wonderful" weather we get here in the Midwest, and thinking irons of some sort available on any long gun that might be used outside is something worthwhile.

Iíve also thought about value of not having exposed metal where you might need to touch gun based on comments from some people that live in Alaska.

At least one of them likes one of Evan's favorites the Mosin Nagant in part because of how well it works for him when bundled for winter weather and how the wood furniture limits bare metal.

One thought Iíve had is a weapon laser as quick close alternative sight to optics for long Guns that have QD optic. Idea being Plan A is to pull optic off and use irons but if you need alternative RIGHT NOW to optic, say going from cold to warm & humid, you can activate the laser for close range shots till you have a moment to pull optic off.

jle3030
Advanced Member

USA
5629 Posts

Posted - December 15 2019 :  08:12:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Off the top of my head, I'd think that any rifle with a military heritage could meet the requirements. And you don't need to "baby" the gun in the nasty weather. That's what those rifles were made for. I've read that Canadian government game managers are just now transitioning away from the No. 4 Enfield, .303 British. In the far North, that old warhorse just kept on working for them.

I fully understand the problems of iron sights and aging eyes, but find I can use military rifles just fine as long as they have aperture rear sights. YMMV on that of course. If you have to make a close fast shot, just get a cheek weld, look over the rear aperture sight and you'll do fine for a COM shot. Basically Ayoob's Stressfire technique. Don't sweat the optics.

Jeff

jle3030
Go to Top of Page

Nanuk

USA
835 Posts

Posted - December 15 2019 :  09:45:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have lived in North Dakota for 20 years and have run AR's in 5.56 and 308 in the weather here with no trouble whatsoever. I would take a 308 AR over a Nagant EVERY time.

"May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't." Gen. George Patton
Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5830 Posts

Posted - December 15 2019 :  1:56:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On rare occasion, I have been caught in the rain while chasing Bambi or walking pork chops; everything from a light drizzle to frog-drowning cloudbursts. Also am not averse to going out in falling-snow weather when the opportunity presents, if it's the kind of snow where critters will be moving. My preparations for such is to give the metal parts of the gun(s) a couple coats of Turtle Wax, same thing on wood stocks, and if it's already precipitating or going to, a strip of tape over the muzzle keeps water out of the bore (shoot through the tape, it doesn't affect the bullet at all, in my experience). Caps or covers on the scope work, but it doesn't hurt to give the lenses a coat of anti-fog juice, or even a coat of Turtle Wax, to keep any water that does get there beaded up instead of turning into a sheet that blurs the vision. An immediate cleaning, drying, and oiling of the inside parts will follow any trips out in inclement weather, once the hunt is done. Also, if you do a redneck camo-in-a-can coating on the gun (you know, Krylon or Rustoleum), I'd suggest the Turtle Wax treatment before painting the gun; just a little extra protection. Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
If pro-gunners are as murderous as anti-gunners claim, why are there so many anti-gunners still running their mouths?
Go to Top of Page

Arvinator
Advanced Member

USA
5546 Posts

Posted - December 15 2019 :  4:58:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
over 20 years ago I bought a Remington 700 with the parkerized finish and synthetic stock. See thru mounts with a 3x9 Bushnell scope. I use it, wipe it down and light film of oil and keep scope caps on when not in use. If the scope fails, iron backup. Never an issue.
If I have a fancy rifle, light coat of turtle wax is what I'd seriously consider using.

Just my thinking.

Be honest, fair, and always prepared...
Go to Top of Page

Deputy25
Advanced Member

USA
1008 Posts

Posted - December 15 2019 :  8:01:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We use Sig 716 patrol rifles (state game agency). They are out in all sorts of weather, Aimpoint optic. No problems with rifle or optic.

Be the person your dog thinks you are.
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.09seconds. Snitz Forums 2000