Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - Very interesting
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Shooting
 The Shotgun Center
 Very interesting
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

WR Moore
Advanced Member

USA
1008 Posts

Posted - November 27 2019 :  8:12:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The next to youngest grand daughter patterned her 20 ga with buckshot and got disappointing results. Would have helped if they hadn't done the patterning at 40 yards, but still not what one would have expected.

Being the curious type, I checked the box and didn't note any comments on the wad on the package. Federal brags about their Flite Control wad on some of their 12 gauge buck loads. Cutting one round apart I found out why. No shot cup, just a base wad. The pellets and some plastic granules are just sitting on top of the base wad.

Might pay to load your own 20 ga buck.

Beware the politically obsessed. They are often bright and interesting, but they have something missing in their natures, there is a hole, an empty place and they use politics to fill it up. It leaves them somehow misshapen. Peggy Noonan

Arvinator
Advanced Member

USA
5471 Posts

Posted - November 28 2019 :  7:11:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I personally pattern buckshot thru the shotgun I'm using. The only way I know what to hopefully expect.

Be honest, fair, and always prepared...
Go to Top of Page

JD

USA
114 Posts

Posted - November 30 2019 :  01:22:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My rule of thumb for loads other than Federal Flite Control loads is the diameter of the pattern is 1 inch per yard... i.e. a 40 inch pattern at 40 yards, 25 inch pattern at 25 yards. Flite Control loads cuts these patterns by a factor of 4.

JD
Go to Top of Page

Dov
Advanced Member

USA
2756 Posts

Posted - November 30 2019 :  11:46:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Id consider 40 yards way past effective buckshot range in general except possibly for coyotes or smaller vermin.

Both Federal 2.75 No.3 buck & 3 No.2 buck patterned well out of gf's 20 gauge 11-87 but I dont recall exact ranges we tested them at. Might still have pictures on one of my old phones if I can find it but it was based on home defense distances so probably 10ish yards at most.

The 3 No.2 is premium stuff IIRC buffered and probably hardened.

Neither of us can tell the difference recoil wise and I prefer 18 pellets of No. 2 buck vs 20 pellets of No.3 buck.

But then I prefer slugs whenever possible, YMMV

Edited by - Dov on December 02 2019 12:12:43 PM
Go to Top of Page

bandaidman
Advanced Member

USA
1470 Posts

Posted - December 01 2019 :  2:58:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am not sure if Federal makes flight control wads in 20 gauge. I guess they think only 12 gauge has enough market to load for the other gauges. Funny thing is that more development has gone into .410 bore I guess due to the pistols being shilled as defense weapons. My brother has one and having shot it once just once, I'd take my model 29 and shoot 20 full house loads before I would shoot it again.

If for a while the harder you try, the harder it gets, take heart. So it has been with the best people who ever lived.
Jeffery Holland
Go to Top of Page

heavyweight

USA
855 Posts

Posted - December 02 2019 :  3:46:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I patterned Federal Flitecontrol 00bk out of 18" improved cylinder at 25 yds. With the exception of one flier, I got a 7 inch group. Most impressive.
Go to Top of Page

Jim Higginbotham

USA
9844 Posts

Posted - December 03 2019 :  07:30:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If I'm not mistaken, the only 20 gauge buck larger than #3 is some Rio #1 (I think it has maybe 12 pieces?).

Not sure how it patterns but #1 is the absolute smallest buck I'd consider for self defense and I'd rather have 1-0 even then.

Even indoors. I sure do like the 20 gauge for hunting and 20 ga. slugs are fine for deer and people but I'd like to see some bigger buck shot.

Ditto on the comments on 12 ga. Federal Premium!

Jim H.

Get the Weaponcraft Journal on Amazon: Print or Kindle!
Go to Top of Page

Dov
Advanced Member

USA
2756 Posts

Posted - December 05 2019 :  10:46:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Higginbotham

If I'm not mistaken, the only 20 gauge buck larger than #3 is some Rio #1 (I think it has maybe 12 pieces?).

Not sure how it patterns but #1 is the absolute smallest buck I'd consider for self defense and I'd rather have 1-0 even then.

Even indoors. I sure do like the 20 gauge for hunting and 20 ga. slugs are fine for deer and people but I'd like to see some bigger buck shot.

Ditto on the comments on 12 ga. Federal Premium!

Jim H.

Jim AFAIK Federal still makes a 3 inch 20 gauge load with 18 pellets of No 2 buckshot # F207 2B. Not sure if anyone else does.

It is what we keep loaded in bedroom 20 gauge 11-87, we went with 20 gauge so either of us can use it easily.

Though its been long on my list to get a vented barrel (the pressure compensated ones) for my 12 gauge 11-87 since I know people who use that setup to reliable use Federal's low recoil Flight control 9 pellet OO buck load.

Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.19seconds. Snitz Forums 2000