Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - .480 Ruger
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Shooting
 Wheelgun Chronicles
 .480 Ruger
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

Jim Higginbotham

USA
9838 Posts

Posted - October 23 2019 :  4:47:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I knew I could resist anything but temptation

When I went back to the same gun store that had the 4" Bisley they had added 4 5/8" to the mix. I could not resist...sigh

Contrary to my plan, I did not trade in my Taurus Raging Bull. It has big shock absorbing stocks - it's not pretty but I could shoot it. I was afraid that the Ruger is so much lighter and trimmer that it might not be manageable for an old decrepit guy.

So, with a great deal of trepidation I loaded up the mildest load in the Lyman manual of a 270 gr. bullet at 1400 fps. I even took some thick leather gloves to the range.

Boy was I surprised! It is as easy to manage as my Blackhawk in .45 Colt with fairly warm loads and easier than my Super Blackhawk .44 Magnum with 240s at 1400.

The top loads push this bullet at over 1600 - I might do that, since the goal at present is to drop deer in their tracks or at least within a few feet. But more likely I'll try to find a 325 or 350 gr. WFN bullet. I have quite a few 325 Hornady JHPs but I think a WFN at just over 1000 fps would be fine, since a .45 260 at 900 puts em down pretty quick.

Jim H.

Get the Weaponcraft Journal on Amazon: Print or Kindle!

ajt
Average Member

USA
322 Posts

Posted - October 24 2019 :  1:07:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glad that you like your new handgun! I am totally unfamiliar with the cartridge and had to look it up on the net. I would guess that you plan on using it for handgun hunting. An article in Field and Stream recommended it over the .44 mag as a back-up gun in bear country.
Go to Top of Page

Chris Christian
Advanced Member

USA
3658 Posts

Posted - October 24 2019 :  2:43:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Higginbotham

Well, I knew I could resist anything but temptation

When I went back to the same gun store that had the 4" Bisley they had added 4 5/8" to the mix. I could not resist...sigh

Contrary to my plan, I did not trade in my Taurus Raging Bull. It has big shock absorbing stocks - it's not pretty but I could shoot it. I was afraid that the Ruger is so much lighter and trimmer that it might not be manageable for an old decrepit guy.

So, with a great deal of trepidation I loaded up the mildest load in the Lyman manual of a 270 gr. bullet at 1400 fps. I even took some thick leather gloves to the range.

Boy was I surprised! It is as easy to manage as my Blackhawk in .45 Colt with fairly warm loads and easier than my Super Blackhawk .44 Magnum with 240s at 1400.

The top loads push this bullet at over 1600 - I might do that, since the goal at present is to drop deer in their tracks or at least within a few feet. But more likely I'll try to find a 325 or 350 gr. WFN bullet. I have quite a few 325 Hornady JHPs but I think a WFN at just over 1000 fps would be fine, since a .45 260 at 900 puts em down pretty quick.

Jim H.

Given where I think you aim on the anatomy to hit your deer, I would think a 325/350 WFN at 1200 fps would probably keep your freezer filled to comfortable level.

That load should also certainly bust shoulders, spine, or skulls on big boar hogs. Bang... flop

Chris Christian
There are those who make things happen. There are those who watch things happen. There are those who wonder What The Heck happened! Pick one.
Go to Top of Page

Jim Higginbotham

USA
9838 Posts

Posted - October 28 2019 :  10:10:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
AJT - I've hunted in Bear country but only infrequently. Normally I have a rifle but I also always have a handgun.

People I know who live in bear country like the 10mm, the .44 Magnum and handloads in a .45 Colt (or one of the boutique brands with a 300+ grain bullet). If I go again, I'll probably take this.

The .50s intrigue me but the S&W X-frame guns are simply too big. A Redhawk in .50 Special might be nice though.

Chris - yep The only thing that might be troublesome is that the .475 Linebaugh, which really doesn't have much on the .480 Ruger makes a wound about 4 times that of the .300 Winchester magnum (at least it did once in the ribcage of an elk).

My intent is to get a nice wide meplat bullet and slow it down a bit.

Jim H.

Go to Top of Page

WR Moore
Advanced Member

USA
1007 Posts

Posted - November 01 2019 :  7:16:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Was the one you bought a Bisley?

Beware the politically obsessed. They are often bright and interesting, but they have something missing in their natures, there is a hole, an empty place and they use politics to fill it up. It leaves them somehow misshapen. Peggy Noonan

Go to Top of Page

Olddog84

USA
629 Posts

Posted - November 05 2019 :  1:42:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jim, I have a Ruger stainless BH Bisley in 480 and it is one of my favorite big bores. Recoil is really controllable: the grip makes all the difference because the same loads in my BFR with the old grip in 475 Linebaugh has a lot more recoil. I use a 380 grain WFN at around 1,200 fps and it is a pussycat. Unfortunately I haven't had a chance to take a deer with it but I have no doubt it will do the job.
Mike

"Somebody Tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." Malcolm Reynolds
Go to Top of Page

Jim Higginbotham

USA
9838 Posts

Posted - November 08 2019 :  08:16:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by WR Moore

Was the one you bought a Bisley?

Yes Sir, it was. It is actually labeled a Super Blackhawk but it has the Bisley frame.

I can't believe it kicks less with a 275 gr. bullet at 1400 fps than my Super Blackhawk .44 Magnum with 240 gr. full loads!

Then later I watched a 15 year old slip of a girl kill a water buffalo with her .480 and Max Prasac shot a 2600 lb. Nayala with his - his comment was that .480s are so mild mannered (I guess he means compared to .475 Linebaugh and .500 S&W).

Jim

Go to Top of Page

Jim Higginbotham

USA
9838 Posts

Posted - November 08 2019 :  08:17:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Olddog84

Jim, I have a Ruger stainless BH Bisley in 480 and it is one of my favorite big bores. Recoil is really controllable: the grip makes all the difference because the same loads in my BFR with the old grip in 475 Linebaugh has a lot more recoil. I use a 380 grain WFN at around 1,200 fps and it is a pussycat. Unfortunately I haven't had a chance to take a deer with it but I have no doubt it will do the job.
Mike

Thanks, I'm looking for some WFNs as we speak, or a "Ogival Wadcutter" - ranges here are not too long.

Jim H.

Go to Top of Page

montanaman
Advanced Member

1150 Posts

Posted - November 10 2019 :  1:49:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A friend of mine had the Taurus in .480 Ruger.

Itís a powerhouse!

Paladin didn't need a semi-auto, or a laser sight, and always carried an extra gun.
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.09seconds. Snitz Forums 2000