Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - 1/32 offset
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Shooting
 The 1911
 1/32 offset
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

Russ Larges

USA
2418 Posts

Posted - October 11 2019 :  7:00:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I need some help here, how do you measure this offset? My barrel has the offset with the barrel pushed forward on the link pin but not when the barrel is pushed back against the frame. Could this be why my colt does not run SWCs well?
Russ

The pistol, learn it well, carry it allways. Jeff Cooper

gw
Advanced Member

4792 Posts

Posted - October 11 2019 :  10:25:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Disassemble your gun, remove barrel from slide, reinstall barrel only to frame with slide stop

Push barrel back to full contact with frame and measure gap

I like to see about 1/30, a little more is better than less

While the barrel is in contact, see if the slide stop swings freely, it should not

If it does the lugs are not making contact with the stop

If you have a factory fitted Colt, it likely swings freely

That is how most WWII GI guns were fitted and works ok with ball

But if you are experiencing a 3 point jam with your wadcutters, that might be it

As the round feeds up the ramp, the barrel moves forward, wedges the round between the barrel and slide

That might be corrected by using a shorter link, but you have a limited amount of movement to play with

First I would suggest using a wadcutter magazine, one with parallel feed lips and early release steps

And check that you extractor is prepped properly

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not..."
Go to Top of Page

Russ Larges

USA
2418 Posts

Posted - October 12 2019 :  5:15:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gw

Disassemble your gun, remove barrel from slide, reinstall barrel only to frame with slide stop

Push barrel back to full contact with frame and measure gap

I like to see about 1/30, a little more is better than less

While the barrel is in contact, see if the slide stop swings freely, it should not

If it does the lugs are not making contact with the stop

If you have a factory fitted Colt, it likely swings freely

That is how most WWII GI guns were fitted and works ok with ball

But if you are experiencing a 3 point jam with your wadcutters, that might be it

As the round feeds up the ramp, the barrel moves forward, wedges the round between the barrel and slide

That might be corrected by using a shorter link, but you have a limited amount of movement to play with

First I would suggest using a wadcutter magazine, one with parallel feed lips and early release steps

And check that you extractor is prepped properly

Well, I did as you said, mounted the barrel on the frame. There is a small offset, not quite 1/32" and the slide stop does flop freely also as you said it would. The barrel can be pushed forward some to make the offset more then the 1/32". I am trying to get 200 gr. semi wadcutters to work as I can cast my own. Don' know what I will do now.
Russ

Go to Top of Page

gw
Advanced Member

4792 Posts

Posted - October 13 2019 :  02:13:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Try a wadcutter magazine like a Wilson 47D

If I said your Colt was not setup right because the stop swings, I over simplified

That is likely the way it was meant to be set, designed for reliability in a service gun.

I want mine a tighter fit than most Colts I see, but if not excessive that is one way of fitting a barrel.

I would doubt that is your problem

Feeding wadcutters is probably a magazine issue and/or adjusting the over all length of your handloaded ammo.

Go to Top of Page

Jim Higginbotham

USA
9838 Posts

Posted - October 16 2019 :  11:06:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What GW said.

I would add that short nose SWC are never going to be 100%.

The only two SWCs I know that if they don't feed then something is wrong with the gun or the magazine are H&G 68s (Loaded to 1.25 OAL) and oddly enough the Lyman 452454 "Keith" 255 gr swc (I forget the OAL on that but it is somewhat shorter - the cutting edge is level with the case mouth).

Oddly enough the H&G 68 I find will feed in unmodified GI 1911s and 1911a1s from real military mags but I'd rather have Wilson or McComrick.

Jim H.

Get the Weaponcraft Journal on Amazon: Print or Kindle!
Go to Top of Page

Russ Larges

USA
2418 Posts

Posted - October 17 2019 :  08:41:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been trying to make the gun shoot SWCs because I have a lyman mold for the 452460 and I wanted to reload a cheaply as possible. I will have to purchase bullets that work and are powder coated as cast and lubed bullets really stink up indoor ranges. Maybe just trade it off as I like the Glock 21 better anyway.
Russ

Go to Top of Page

gw
Advanced Member

4792 Posts

Posted - October 17 2019 :  10:44:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For my information only, does your Glock feed your reload

I got a tight fitted bar-sto barreled gun that will not feed my wadcutter reloads

I got a series 80 Colt that had a bushing fitted to get rid of the collet mess, otherwise it's factory much like your gun.

It feeds everything, usually feeds empty cases.......

One thing to look at is your feed ramp, if that top edge is broken even a little, that might be your problem

That angle has a minus O / plus .5 degree tolerance, or something like that

Rolling the top edge just some can throw the gun out of spec and cause feed problems

If you find a gun that some unknown "polished" the feed ramp on, you might walk away

It don't take much and is hard to correct

Go to Top of Page

Russ Larges

USA
2418 Posts

Posted - October 18 2019 :  08:57:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
GW, my glock is about 98 percent with the same SWCs as the 1911. This is not good, but I can live with it as it is only a range gun. The feed ramp still has some tooling marks on it, I did polish it some by hand but the top edge is still sharp from the factory. As I said I like the 21 better most likely because I have shot glocks for some twenty years with an odd wheel gun in the mix.
Russ

Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.06seconds. Snitz Forums 2000