Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - some Serious gun lust
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Shooting
 Wheelgun Chronicles
 some Serious gun lust
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

Jim Higginbotham

USA
9814 Posts

Posted - September 11 2019 :  08:39:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On our weekly trip around the state we dropped into a familiar store and they had a revolver I've been wanting to see and handle for quite a while; A Ruger Bisley in .480 Ruger!

It had a 4" barrel. I had quite a struggle to keep it from following me home!

I already have dies, brass and bullets for the caliber and while my Taurus is well made and quite accurate it just doesn't have any class.

Then again they had a special edition Flat top in .45 Colt / .45 ACP.

Oh my, decisions, decisions.

Jim H.

Get the Weaponcraft Journal on Amazon: Print or Kindle!

Chris Christian
Advanced Member

USA
3617 Posts

Posted - September 11 2019 :  08:55:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Get both. You'll be happier and stress free

Chris Christian
There are those who make things happen. There are those who watch things happen. There are those who wonder What The Heck happened! Pick one.
Go to Top of Page

Evan
Administrator

34549 Posts

Posted - September 11 2019 :  1:26:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm looking for a Colt New Service in .44-40 that trips my trigger. I will get it slicked up including a Fitz trigger guard and a 3" barrel when I find one I like. So far. none have excited me.

"The greatest thing a Father can do for his children is to love their Mother."

Harold B. Lee

Go to Top of Page

Arvinator
Advanced Member

USA
5449 Posts

Posted - September 11 2019 :  3:05:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I知 drooling of the thoughts of a 2 & 3/4inch stainless Ruger Speed Six .387. Why I知 not sure yet but I have always like them.

Be honest, fair, and always prepared...
Go to Top of Page

Chris Christian
Advanced Member

USA
3617 Posts

Posted - September 11 2019 :  3:28:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't mind a 3-inch Ruger GP-100 .357 with good adjustable sights and .080 fiber optic front sight.

Chris Christian
There are those who make things happen. There are those who watch things happen. There are those who wonder What The Heck happened! Pick one.
Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5647 Posts

Posted - September 11 2019 :  4:00:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Arv, I carried one of those for most of my time at work, BUG and off-duty. Still have it, just got back from a range session with it (shot up and old Osama bin Laden target I've had for some years). Mine rode variously in a shoulder holster, on the belt, and a lot of time in the left coat pocket at work. If you find one, get it; you won't be disappointed.
Nothing wrong with the same size Security Six, either. Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
If pro-gunners are as murderous as anti-gunners claim, why are there so many anti-gunners still running their mouths?
Go to Top of Page

Jim Higginbotham

USA
9814 Posts

Posted - September 12 2019 :  08:44:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arvinator

I知 drooling of the thoughts of a 2 & 3/4inch stainless Ruger Speed Six .387. Why I知 not sure yet but I have always like them.

Me too!

Jim

Go to Top of Page

Russ Larges

USA
2410 Posts

Posted - September 12 2019 :  09:50:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Higginbotham

quote:

Me too!

Jim

I had one back in the day, got traded for some other must have item.
Russ

The pistol, learn it well, carry it allways. Jeff Cooper
Go to Top of Page

gw
Advanced Member

4744 Posts

Posted - September 12 2019 :  10:26:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Russ Larges

quote:
Originally posted by Jim Higginbotham

quote:

Me too!

Jim

I had one back in the day, got traded for some other must have item.

Russ

I had a beauty that I traded for a Government Model Colt, I still question the wisdom of that move.....

I had the trigger worked on by a local shop in El Paso

There were a bunch of dedicated S&W fans in west Texas, most thought that reworked Ruger trigger out did a stock S&W.

So a horse trade occured for the Colt 1911, at least I still have the Colt......

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not..."
Go to Top of Page

Olddog84

USA
627 Posts

Posted - September 13 2019 :  10:55:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jim,
I have a Ruger Bisley in 480! It has a 6.5" barrel. I love it. The grip is so much more comfortable than my BFR in 480 Linebaugh, not to mention that there are much prettier grips available! It is accurate and the 480 is a snap to reload for. Get it: you will not be disappointed. It makes a great pair with my Flattop Bisley 44 special!
Mike

"Somebody Tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." Malcolm Reynolds
Go to Top of Page

Olddog84

USA
627 Posts

Posted - September 13 2019 :  10:59:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Evan I have a really nice New Service in 44 Russian / Special. I only list it that way because that is how it is marked on the barrel! It is bog standard with 5.5" barrel and blued so I would never cut it. I also picked up cheap a New Service 1917 that someone over time had made into their idea of a carry gun. The barrel was replaced by a 4" bull barrel, the front sight was replaced by a brass front ramp. Unfortunately the timing is a little off and worn but I got it for $250 so what the heck. At some point down the road I have plans to get it fixed up and turned into a Fitz. Should be pretty cool! I usually shoot that and my unaltered 1917 with Auto Rim brass and Keith semi-wadcutters: old school cool!
Mike

Go to Top of Page

Evan
Administrator

34549 Posts

Posted - September 13 2019 :  12:43:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My grandson, DJW, picked one up in .45 ACP.

Harold B. Lee

Go to Top of Page

Jim Higginbotham

USA
9814 Posts

Posted - September 14 2019 :  12:06:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Olddog84

Jim,
I have a Ruger Bisley in 480! It has a 6.5" barrel. I love it. The grip is so much more comfortable than my BFR in 480 Linebaugh, not to mention that there are much prettier grips available! It is accurate and the 480 is a snap to reload for. Get it: you will not be disappointed. It makes a great pair with my Flattop Bisley 44 special!
Mike

A man after mine own heart!

Jim H.

Go to Top of Page

Jim Higginbotham

USA
9814 Posts

Posted - September 14 2019 :  12:09:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Evan

I'm looking for a Colt New Service in .44-40 that trips my trigger. I will get it slicked up including a Fitz trigger guard and a 3" barrel when I find one I like. So far. none have excited me.

That sounds like a neat project. I have a fairly nice New Service in .45 Colt but I just can't quite reach the trigger for DA work.

It does have a good DA trigger however, much better then the first New Service I bought.

Jim H.

Go to Top of Page

Evan
Administrator

34549 Posts

Posted - September 14 2019 :  5:57:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Since I've never shot a NS Service I'd better shoot my grandson's and I may be Fritizing a J frame!

Harold B. Lee

Go to Top of Page

Russ Larges

USA
2410 Posts

Posted - September 15 2019 :  7:58:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK, now I have to go down in the basement to my gun room and get the Smith & Wesson I had fitzed awhile ago. I have not shot it in some time now so maybe tomorrow at the local practice night. It is great fun and an oddity that people like to see. I have a few speed loaders for it tho I am clumsy with them I will try to keep up with the bottom feeders.
Russ

The pistol, learn it well, carry it allways. Jeff Cooper
Go to Top of Page

Olddog84

USA
627 Posts

Posted - September 19 2019 :  10:09:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The NS is a beast when it comes to trigger reach! I find that with normal grips and a grip adapter I can reach the NS trigger for DA just fine: but JUST! I did find, particularly with the 1917 version, that the spring tension is just ridiculously high: I assume to make sure that those hard military 45 ACP primers are busted. I replaced all of the springs with new aftermarket versions and the trigger pull improved immensely, with no decrease in reliability. Now that is not a really immersive test, none of the 4 NS I have are "serious" guns, just playing around guns, so I don't I have more than a couple of hundred rounds through any of them, and the 1917 versions have been shot with 45 Auto Rim rounds that duplicate 455 webley loads, very soft shooting stuff. Very fun though!
Mike

Go to Top of Page

revjen45
Advanced Member

2336 Posts

Posted - September 19 2019 :  12:10:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It pleases me to see the above praises for the Fitz type revolvers. Back during the Cambrian Explosion I turned rough specimen of a DS into a DAO Fitz looking piece. I have occasionally had regrets when I see the old Colts rising in value, but as noted it was hardly pristine and I have carried it off and on for > 30 years. With round butt neoprene grips it carries well (I have found that shape can be as important as size in concealability) and is not bad to shoot.
Seeing that Evan and Jim regard the concept as still being sound reassures me that I didn't screw up.

Better to perish in the struggle for freedom than live to see defeat.
Go to Top of Page

gw
Advanced Member

4744 Posts

Posted - September 19 2019 :  3:33:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The manuals for the 1917 New Service say something to the affect they can be fired DA in an emergency.

Always lead me to think it was meant to be thumb cocked for normal use, I can't reach the DA trigger worth a darn.

Also, the moon clips could get bent or otherwise act as a spring to absorb hammer fall

They put a heavy mainspring in to whack the primer extra hard

during the war, the Britts complained that the tolerances of their tripple lock S&Ws were too tight, made them choke when dunked in the muck.

The Colts were a chunk to compensate for the abuse I suppose......

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not..."
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.12seconds. Snitz Forums 2000