Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - 226 DAK
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Shooting
 Pistol Palace
 226 DAK
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Badge
Advanced Member

USA
1718 Posts

Posted - August 11 2019 :  5:13:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was seeking some input from anyone who may have used this weapon or anything that operates in a similar fashion and your opinion of the system. Any input would be appreciated.

MSS

Dave in PA
Average Member

USA
446 Posts

Posted - August 11 2019 :  6:38:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My last duty gun was a Sig P229-DAK in .40 caliber. I hated it. To me it was heavy, thick with a high bore axis and very difficult trying to shoot fast double taps. It was pretty big for a gun that only held 12 rounds in the magazine. I was also one of the armorers and I am convinced that no human being could put a detail stripped Sig back together without taking the course.

It was pretty accurate at a distance but that one redeeming quality still did not make me like it.

From what I see online, I am in the minority.

I hope I did not hide my feelings too much here.

:)
Go to Top of Page

RLS

USA
755 Posts

Posted - August 12 2019 :  03:44:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had a P229-DAK in .357 SIG for a spell. I liked the caliber better than the gun. The gun felt heavy and I have enough heaviness around my middle. I liked the DAK system well enough, beats the heck out of a de-cocker for me. I traded it off for something else that is more comfortable for me to carry.

Rick
Go to Top of Page

J Wagner

216 Posts

Posted - August 13 2019 :  11:56:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I tried a friend's P229-DAK. Didn't really like it. Maybe if that was the only pistol I owned and practiced with, I could get used to it.

Had a conventional DA/SA P229 in .40. Accurate and reliable, but heavy and thick. Went back to a Glock 23.
Go to Top of Page

Badge
Advanced Member

USA
1718 Posts

Posted - August 13 2019 :  11:40:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for your input fellas.

MSS
Go to Top of Page

bandaidman
Advanced Member

USA
1471 Posts

Posted - August 17 2019 :  02:13:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For 200.00 you could send it back to SIG and they will replace the parts that made it DAK and right now AIM surplus is selling usded LEO returns for a steal of a price FWIW

“If for a while the harder you try, the harder it gets, take heart. So it has been with the best people who ever lived.
Jeffery Holland
Go to Top of Page

Badge
Advanced Member

USA
1718 Posts

Posted - August 17 2019 :  3:29:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks bandaidman,...... I acquired it for 300 Clams and it's a carried a little and shot a little weapon. I fired a box of rounds through it and found the trigger very smooth, no creep or heaviness and I actually liked it. Like a 13 shot revolver. For me at least, it works. I do appreciate the other input and evaluations.

MSS
Go to Top of Page

CW2 Ralph Long
Average Member

USA
415 Posts

Posted - August 18 2019 :  2:40:08 PM  Show Profile  Click to see CW2 Ralph Long's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I have three different DAKs in .357 Sig 40 S&W and .45 ACP. Due to the fact that I still shoot revolvers a lot, I appreciate the consistent longer trigger pull of the DAK. Like all the SIGs I’ve shot, they’re completely reliable with ball and every variety of hollow point I’ve been able to find.

“If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without bloodshed;
if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may
come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves.”

Winston Churchill
Go to Top of Page

Badge
Advanced Member

USA
1718 Posts

Posted - August 18 2019 :  5:06:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Ralph. Mines a .357 and I was pleasantly surprised. The condition was better than promised by the dealer and it came with a German Frame which everyone tells me is a plus. A frames a frame to me so if anyone has input on that aspect please tell me. I took a shot as it was very reasonable and after speaking with the LE Distributer I was convinced to try it.

MSS
Go to Top of Page

johns961

USA
60 Posts

Posted - August 19 2019 :  5:44:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have two P229's. The older ones with frame's made in Germany.they are not DAK. One is 9mm. One is .357. I have many pistols.
These two are at the tip of my home defense. During winter, I CCW the .357. Especially during the holidays in the stores.
It is hard to beat an old Sig. They are 100% reliable and more accurate then me.

John!
Go to Top of Page

Badge
Advanced Member

USA
1718 Posts

Posted - August 20 2019 :  10:58:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
John961,
Thank you for your input. I'm fond of the round and after reading about it from an Author of three books on the subject I was sold. I will have to get used to the higher bore axis but so far the weapon is controllable and to my liking.

MSS
Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5704 Posts

Posted - August 21 2019 :  10:05:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can't input anything re: SIG pistols--never shot one--but I am having a memory failure. Could somebody tell me what 'DAK' actually stands for? When I first heard the term, and what it meant, my mind went to 'Double Action, Kinda', and now the real meaning won't come up out of the memory banks. Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
If pro-gunners are as murderous as anti-gunners claim, why are there so many anti-gunners still running their mouths?
Go to Top of Page

JMAC
Average Member

USA
390 Posts

Posted - August 21 2019 :  11:24:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think it's "Double Action Kellerman", after the designer.
Go to Top of Page

Charlie Foxtrot
Average Member

259 Posts

Posted - August 21 2019 :  11:43:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Badge

John961,
Thank you for your input. I'm fond of the round and after reading about it from an Author of three books on the subject I was sold. I will have to get used to the higher bore axis but so far the weapon is controllable and to my liking.

Badge, wrt the high bore axis and the obvious focus on the fundamentals (high, strong hold on the grip) I have found that Hogue rubber wrap around grips help. They may add slightly to the overall width compared to the factory plastic grips, but it's easy enough to dress around it. And they only cost about $20.
Go to Top of Page

jle3030
Advanced Member

USA
5551 Posts

Posted - August 21 2019 :  12:03:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I prefer the lower bore axis of the Glock and 1911 designs. That said, I find the "problem" of the higher Sig bore axis on my Sig 228 and 239 to be more tactile and visual perception on my part than reality when it comes to shooting the gun. When the guns are up and shooting, they feel just fine to me and accuracy is unaffected.

The real issue for me is getting past that first DA trigger pull as opposed to the short trigger action of the Glock or the 1911.

Jeff

jle3030
Go to Top of Page

Ten Driver
Advanced Member

1951 Posts

Posted - October 13 2019 :  4:55:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One thing about the DAK trigger is that if you try to “shoot to the reset,” you’ll wind up with a heavier trigger pull. The trigger needs to travel fully forward before it “resets” and allows you to have the lighter pull. Stopping short of full forward will leave you with a heavier trigger.

This is not the case with the similar, but different, HK LEM trigger.
Go to Top of Page

Badge
Advanced Member

USA
1718 Posts

Posted - October 13 2019 :  6:39:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ten Driver,... I found that out at the range. I'm becoming very fond of this system and took to it far quicker than I'd thought. I would recommend it to anyone that likes Double Action or used Revolvers exclusively in the past.

MSS
Go to Top of Page

gauchobill
Advanced Member

1153 Posts

Posted - October 14 2019 :  06:07:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with Charlie Foxtrot re putting Hogue grips on the 226 and 229. I have done that with both of mine. I have never felt/noticed the so-called high bore axis there is so much conversation about with these Sigs. The worst thing I could say about them is that they are heavy. They shoot well---accurate without any problems digesting any ammo I ever put through them.

If the Hogue grips make them too thick for your hands, maybe it's time to try something else.
Go to Top of Page

Badge
Advanced Member

USA
1718 Posts

Posted - October 14 2019 :  11:26:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
gauchobill,.... I couldn't agree more. I'm more than pleased with it.

MSS
Go to Top of Page

Redheeler
Starting Member

USA
20 Posts

Posted - October 20 2019 :  12:28:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Love the gun but dislike the DAK trigger. I have one in .357/.40 and as said before, it accurate, shoots well, I haven’t found any ammo it won’t run but, as for me personally, I just don’t like the DAK trigger. Guess I’m to used to their DA/SA with a short reset. I will agree that if you are used to shooting revolvers, you should have no problem transitioning over to it. JMO. YMMV
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.27seconds. Snitz Forums 2000