Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - S&W Shield .45
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Shooting
 Pistol Palace
 S&W Shield .45
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Evan
Administrator

34559 Posts

Posted - August 11 2019 :  2:26:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

My grandson, DJW, always wanted a gun marked "Detroit Police" so I traded him my full size M&P for a Beretta PX4 subcompact and Tuesday I'm trading it for what I really wanted a Shield in .45 ACP as back up to my SIG P 250 in the same caliber.

"The greatest thing a Father can do for his children is to love their Mother."

Harold B. Lee

Charlie Foxtrot
Average Member

259 Posts

Posted - August 11 2019 :  4:12:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Evan, I donít buy guns very often, but the M&P series has gotten several positive accolades on this forum and I decided to purchase one. I rented a .45 Shield at a range when they first came out and felt it was a slim pistol. I presently carry a wider pistol (or two). Recoil for me went straight up and then down, right back on target. So I picked one up recently. It came with night sights and no safety.

I have about 450 rounds through it, all 230 grain factory ammo - mostly FMJ, but also Winchester Ranger and Speer Gold Dot. The gun is accurate, but I have only shot it out to 17 yards, which is the maximum distance at the range I have been going to. I have encountered two problems. First, after around 300 rounds, I experienced one or two failures for the pistol to go into battery when chambering a Gold Dot from a fully loaded 6 round magazine - I load from a locked slide, which I release sling shot style. And the second issue is the front night sight lost all illumination within 3 months of purchasing the pistol. S&W sent me a shipping label, and the pistol is at the factory now. There has been no malfunctions other than what I just mentioned.

Not sure that I will carry it, my preference is a metal gun with an external hammer I can monitor through feel while holstering. I feel this, or any striker fired pistol should be carried in an all kydex holster.
Go to Top of Page

Russ Larges

USA
2416 Posts

Posted - August 11 2019 :  5:35:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Evan

My grandson, DJW, always wanted a gun marked "Detroit Police" so I traded him my full size M&P for a Beretta PX4 subcompact and Tuesday I'm trading it for what I really wanted a Shield in .45 ACP as back up to my SIG P 250 in the same caliber.

I thought I traded guns a lot, compared to you I am a piker.. Hope you enjoy and shoot it well.
Russ

The pistol, learn it well, carry it allways. Jeff Cooper
Go to Top of Page

Arvinator
Advanced Member

USA
5455 Posts

Posted - August 11 2019 :  9:09:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Evan, I really like my .45 Shield. I carry it a lot, but with other guns due to the single stack. Did I tell you I like my 45 Shield?

In fact, it's beside me most evenings at home including right now, with a J frame in my pocket. Loaded with 185 Critical Defense it shoots real good.

Be honest, fair, and always prepared...
Go to Top of Page

Redheeler
Starting Member

USA
15 Posts

Posted - August 12 2019 :  12:00:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I really like my .45 Shield however I put Talon grip tape on it. The stuff is like skateboard tape and gives a very positive gripping surface, no slip what so ever when shooting.
Go to Top of Page

Evan
Administrator

34559 Posts

Posted - August 12 2019 :  12:54:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The cop with the Shield lives in the same town as I do but it seems difficult to get together with his schedule and his sick kids.

Maybe tomorrow.

Harold B. Lee

Go to Top of Page

Charlie Foxtrot
Average Member

259 Posts

Posted - August 12 2019 :  2:06:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Redheeler

I really like my .45 Shield however I put Talon grip tape on it. The stuff is like skateboard tape and gives a very positive gripping surface, no slip what so ever when shooting.

Interesting. While I have used skateboard tape and skid resistant tread tape on grips in the past on other pistols, I feel that the .45 Shield has a rather aggressive texture. Some of the reviews I have read online express complaints that the Shieldís grip is too aggressive. I did go to the local gun store and was going to purchase a Hogue grip sleeve since the Shieldís slim grip is flat and doesnít fill my hand the way I would like it to, but the manager told me that the grip sleeve is very hard to put on. I went home without buying the sleeve and watched the Hogue video on how to install the sleeve. The process includes boiling the sleeve prior to installing. I must say that having seen the grip, there is no way it will go on as easily as depicted in the video. I have a similar grip for a larger pistol that I tried on the Shield, but I didnít find it beneficial, so I took it off. Iím glad that the Talon works for you.
Go to Top of Page

Evan
Administrator

34559 Posts

Posted - August 13 2019 :  3:14:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Picked up the gun this morning. No sign it was ever fired. Planning to take the wife to the range tomorrow to see that her AR is sighted in for her. I'll put some rounds thru the Shield.

Harold B. Lee

Go to Top of Page

Chris Christian
Advanced Member

USA
3642 Posts

Posted - August 13 2019 :  3:19:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
S&W got the Shield series RIGHT... just like the M&P. They're solid pieces of equipment.

Chris Christian
There are those who make things happen. There are those who watch things happen. There are those who wonder What The Heck happened! Pick one.
Go to Top of Page

Pop Pop
Advanced Member

USA
1126 Posts

Posted - August 13 2019 :  3:52:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Really like my 2 MP 9C 2.0's Chris.

Pop Pop
Go to Top of Page

Chris Christian
Advanced Member

USA
3642 Posts

Posted - August 13 2019 :  4:08:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pop Pop

Really like my 2 MP 9C 2.0's Chris.

I carry my original 9c daily, and used it to shoot the original FAM course CLEAN. M&Ps (and Shields) are darn nice guns.

Chris Christian
There are those who make things happen. There are those who watch things happen. There are those who wonder What The Heck happened! Pick one.
Go to Top of Page

Evan
Administrator

34559 Posts

Posted - August 21 2019 :  2:46:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shot two mags thru it yesterday. One hole group except for one flyer at 5 yards.

Harold B. Lee

Go to Top of Page

Arvinator
Advanced Member

USA
5455 Posts

Posted - August 21 2019 :  9:14:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I really like my .45 Shield. I know caliber is not everything but that big bore compact pistol is a fine self defense handgun in my simple opinion.

Be honest, fair, and always prepared...
Go to Top of Page

BatteryOaksBilly

USA
211 Posts

Posted - August 22 2019 :  5:58:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I bought a 9 and a 45 when PSA had them with rebates for $249. Honestly Nothing come s close to these guns for that money. I only run ball ammo in either and with 1K+ through each Zero malfunctions.
I see a lot of guns come through here. Nothing close . I have not seen a Kimber product on this range in the last 5 years I would swap one of these guns for.

Billy Bruton..Carry every step..Shoot every day!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.2seconds. Snitz Forums 2000