Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - Garlic Festival Shooting
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Other
 Miscellaneous
 Garlic Festival Shooting
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

montanaman
Advanced Member

1144 Posts

Posted - July 29 2019 :  6:44:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The media is all over the gunman shooting up the festival in California.

These stories are making me avoid public gatherings!

I've gotten to where if the wife wants to go to the farmers market downtown that I'm constantly looking around, and figuring out ways to escape if something happens!

Anybody else getting extra-vigilant?

Paladin didn't need a semi-auto, or a laser sight, and always carried an extra gun.

jle3030
Advanced Member

USA
5495 Posts

Posted - July 29 2019 :  8:53:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Outwardly and initially, the Garlic Festival shooting is being presented as checking all the boxes to set off antigunner pols and media types to scream for more gun control.

The New York block party shoot-em-up, however, is thought to be gang related. "Nothing to see there folks. Not news. Move on . But hey, look at that horrible assault rifle shooting in California!"

Jeff

jle3030
Go to Top of Page

gauchobill
Advanced Member

1140 Posts

Posted - July 30 2019 :  06:41:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Montanaman, I am uncomfortable going anywhere unarmed. Going to the movies------have gun. I live in Florida where summertime temperatures often touch 100 degrees. I Hide the gun under a large shirt untucked into my pants. I regard all public crowds as a potential crazed shooter zone. I don't see myself as a public safety gun-toter----I tote the gun to save myself and wife.
Go to Top of Page

Pop Pop
Advanced Member

USA
1115 Posts

Posted - August 09 2019 :  3:35:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
John Farnum reported the attendees to this garlic festival had to be wanded, by security, before entry was allowed. Said the perp noticed this and found a unfenced area and squeezed by the temporary barricade.

Don't ever leave your personal safety to the leftist gun haters schemes. Guess what, I feel sorry for those who were killed or injured, but wanding didn't work, if John is correct in what he reported.

Pop Pop
Go to Top of Page

jle3030
Advanced Member

USA
5495 Posts

Posted - August 09 2019 :  4:45:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I find large crowds in and of themselves as something to be avoided. Shooter or no.

Jeff

jle3030
Go to Top of Page

Pop Pop
Advanced Member

USA
1115 Posts

Posted - August 10 2019 :  2:44:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jeff, do you find yourself questioning where you go anymore? Last evening we went to watch our daughter compete in a horse show with one of her horses. We had traveled to that outdoor venue on another occasion. I asked myself what would happen if a shooter showed up there. Never done that before.

I looked around and it was a large area. Probably 15 acers, on the flat where the arena was, and approx. 40 acers in the whole complex. Someone with a scoped long gun could reek havoc there. Lots of people with a small hill (15') close by and overlooking the arena area and the bleachers. People and horse trailers were all over the top of the shaded area.

If it comes down to the possibility of my dying, I just don't want to be depriving myself of outside activities, at this time. That may sound selfish, but I got the dying part taken care of; I am a Christian.

I will say there are places I don't care to go to any longer, such as a dying indoor shopping mall that has been taken over by sloppy clad tattooed young pink and purple haired people. I think it may be out of business now but one was taking his life in his hands just parking in the outdoor parking lot or indoor garage. Haven't been there in quiet a while.

Pop Pop
Go to Top of Page

fiasconva
Average Member

USA
265 Posts

Posted - August 10 2019 :  3:37:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I heard on the news,briefly, that further investigation showed the the shooter actually shot himself and was not killed by the LEO's. Has anyone else heard anything about this, not that it makes any difference.

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
Go to Top of Page

jle3030
Advanced Member

USA
5495 Posts

Posted - August 10 2019 :  4:01:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pop Pop

Jeff, do you find yourself questioning where you go anymore?

Not particularly. The chances of encountering a real problem are still pretty remote. I just don't like crowds. Never have.

I will say that I'm less likely to attend any sort of function where they are screening for weapons. My life's experience is that when I prepare for problems in advance they tend not to happen. Every time I've gotten burned on something it was when I should have taken some preventive step and neglected to do so.

Jeff

jle3030
Go to Top of Page

Chris Christian
Advanced Member

USA
3599 Posts

Posted - August 12 2019 :  2:42:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I refuse to cower! I even walked into a Wal Mart this morning to buy a new cell phone. Of course, I was vigilent, aware, scanning the people, listening for gunshots... and armed with a 16 shot 9mm and had another 15 round mag on my offside.

Gee... nothing happened.

Chris Christian
There are those who make things happen. There are those who watch things happen. There are those who wonder What The Heck happened! Pick one.
Go to Top of Page

Pop Pop
Advanced Member

USA
1115 Posts

Posted - August 13 2019 :  4:02:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A sitting Judge told my wife, on Tuesday, that in our town people go to Wal Mart, at night, to buy and sell drugs here in our town. Said they did not look out of place and were comfortable meeting there. I never knew that because I always go during the mornings.

Pop Pop
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.09seconds. Snitz Forums 2000