Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - Little Evil II
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Shooting
 Precision Battle Rifle
 Little Evil II
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

Evan
Administrator

34526 Posts

Posted - July 07 2019 :  9:14:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Out of WiFi range this weekend at family's fall back position up north. Grandson, DJW, brought me my 2nd gen AR pistol with 8.5" barrel, folding stock, etc. Shoots very well and can be carried in my 5.11 Messenger bag loaded with the stock folded but only with a 20 round mag as the red dot makes it "too tall" with a 30 rnd mag

"The greatest thing a Father can do for his children is to love their Mother."

Harold B. Lee

Charlie Foxtrot
Average Member

252 Posts

Posted - July 08 2019 :  2:10:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Evan, I read about your AR pistol with great interest. I would like to assemble an AR pistol at a reasonable cost. I have been monitoring Palmetto State Armory’s website for deals, and they had a complete 10.5” upper for about $160 for July 4th. I didn’t purchase it for a few reasons - I am really looking for an 11.5” barrel with a fixed FSB front sight. All I want on the muzzle is an A2 flash hider. I feel that a fixed front sight is more robust than the flip up BUISs. I would get one of the SBA braces, just have to figure out the differences between the models; I see they are up to the SBA4 now and not really sure what the advantage is over the SBA3. I would get a folding brace adaptor, most likely by Law Tactical, but again, I need to read up on the differences between the generations to see if the newest is worth the money. I might put an optic on it such as an Aimpoint PRO.

Most important to me is the barrel length, and from what I have read, 11.5” is the shortest that some folks recommend for 5.56mm due to such things as dwell time, reliability, muzzle blast, noise level, and velocity. And I have read quite a few reviews of PSA products, and their cheapest line especially is hit or miss in terms of quality and reliability. So I am considering other manufacturers, but I don’t want to break the bank on this build.
Go to Top of Page

Evan
Administrator

34526 Posts

Posted - July 08 2019 :  3:26:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mine has a PSA upper and an Anderson lower with a Primary Arms red dot. I've had several and they all have proven to be Evan proof.

Shot it just for function and it was fine. DJW will add my Magpul forward grip and my flashlight

Great news is that my CCMG .22 conversion works fine in it.

Harold B. Lee

Go to Top of Page

Charlie Foxtrot
Average Member

252 Posts

Posted - July 08 2019 :  3:41:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the info Evan. I would put a flashlight on mine, too. The PSA sale actually ends tonight, so I may bite the bullet and purchase the upper, BCG and charging handle from PSA since they offer a lifetime warranty. I’ll let everyone here know how it works out once it’s built and I break it in at the range.

And I will only go with the 10.5”, because I cannot locate a 11.5” with a fixed FSB front site.

Edited by - Charlie Foxtrot on July 08 2019 3:46:40 PM
Go to Top of Page

Russ Larges

USA
2403 Posts

Posted - July 08 2019 :  5:28:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Charlie Foxtrot

Thanks for the info Evan. I would put a flashlight on mine, too. The PSA sale actually ends tonight, so I may bite the bullet and purchase the upper, BCG and charging handle from PSA since they offer a lifetime warranty. I’ll let everyone here know how it works out once it’s built and I break it in at the range.

And I will only go with the 10.5”, because I cannot locate a 11.5” with a fixed FSB front site.

I too have a PSA 10.5 barrel and Anderson stripped lower. I got the kit with the sound directing piece on the front (can't think of the name) which I think is a good option. No trouble with mine after maybe 300 rounds.
Russ

The pistol, learn it well, carry it allways. Jeff Cooper
Go to Top of Page

Evan
Administrator

34526 Posts

Posted - July 08 2019 :  5:35:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The 8.5 is considerably louder and the sound director puts alot of noise out there which I like.

Harold B. Lee

Go to Top of Page

Evan
Administrator

34526 Posts

Posted - July 08 2019 :  6:35:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Should have added I want to chrono results out of the 8.5" but we're currently dealing with smoke from Canadian wildfires and it is most unpleasant to be outside.

Harold B. Lee

Go to Top of Page

Arvinator
Advanced Member

USA
5432 Posts

Posted - July 08 2019 :  7:34:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your Little Evil 2 sounds like a nice setup. 20 rounder mag in the weapon beats what most folks carry.

Be honest, fair, and always prepared...
Go to Top of Page

Charlie Foxtrot
Average Member

252 Posts

Posted - July 08 2019 :  7:42:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Russ, you might be referring to a flash can or muzzle break.

Velocity is certainly an issue, and I believe the Army and USMC chose the 14.5” barrel for effective terminal performance with the SS109 projectile. I’m sure there are guys here like GW who could provide more insight to this. I would think that commercially available law enforcement ammo such as Gold Dot, and monolithic ammo such as DPX, would be designed to perform at lower velocities at “typical” law enforcement engagement distances. I’ve been meaning to contact Speer to see what the minimum effective velocity is for their .223 Gold Dots.

Edited by - Charlie Foxtrot on July 08 2019 7:42:55 PM
Go to Top of Page

Evan
Administrator

34526 Posts

Posted - July 08 2019 :  8:12:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Always liked green tip

Harold B. Lee

Go to Top of Page

Frogfoot

USA
864 Posts

Posted - July 19 2019 :  02:16:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I recently acquired a Sota Arms Lower and put an SAA 10.5" 5.56 upper on it with their Dragon's Head linear compensator at the muzzle. It's still very loud and there's quite a fireball present whenever you touch it off, but is a lot more tolerable than one a friend of mine has with a barrel two inches longer featuring a more traditional brake. Because of the short barrel, I bought a 50 round box of Hornady .223 55-grain soft points for potential defensive use and stick to ball for fun and practice.

We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give. - Sir Winston Churchill
Go to Top of Page

gw
Advanced Member

4707 Posts

Posted - July 19 2019 :  08:00:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Russ, you might be referring to a flash can or muzzle break.

Velocity is certainly an issue, and I believe the Army and USMC chose the 14.5” barrel for effective terminal performance with the SS109 projectile. I’m sure there are guys here like GW who could provide more insight to this. I would think that commercially available law enforcement ammo such as Gold Dot, and monolithic ammo such as DPX, would be designed to perform at lower velocities at “typical” law enforcement engagement distances. I’ve been meaning to contact Speer to see what the minimum effective velocity is for their .223 Gold Dots.

the 5.56×45 NATO cartridge was designed specifically for a 20-inch barrel on a gas operated weapon with 7 inches of dwell time after the gas port. The 14.5-inch M4 barrel retains the 7 inch dwell length after the gas port.

the SS109 bullets was designed to improve down range penetration with the m249 light machine gun.

it's been less than optimum with the M4

that's lead to ammo development like the mk262

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not..."

Edited by - gw on July 19 2019 08:03:07 AM
Go to Top of Page

Charlie Foxtrot
Average Member

252 Posts

Posted - July 19 2019 :  11:53:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
GW, thanks for that information.
Go to Top of Page

Evan
Administrator

34526 Posts

Posted - July 19 2019 :  1:21:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Found by inserting the weapon into the bag upright a 30 rnder works just fine and mine is full of CB DPX.

Harold B. Lee

Go to Top of Page

gw
Advanced Member

4707 Posts

Posted - July 19 2019 :  4:16:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

GW, thanks for that information.

the Army's answer to improved stopping was controlled pairs and better placement

ganging up on the enemy works too......

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not..."
Go to Top of Page

Evan
Administrator

34526 Posts

Posted - July 21 2019 :  4:45:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My overriding requirement is a gun I can conceal in my 5.11 X Ray Messenger bag for church and other places. Carried it into Barnes&Noble and the minute I pulled a tablet out of the bag they lost interest in me.

The terrorists are here and when they're ready we will be exposed to Hell on earth!

Harold B. Lee

Go to Top of Page

Arvinator
Advanced Member

USA
5432 Posts

Posted - July 24 2019 :  07:19:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like a very nice setup you have Evan.

Be honest, fair, and always prepared...
Go to Top of Page

Evan
Administrator

34526 Posts

Posted - August 04 2019 :  7:12:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I afraid it's going start earning its keep soon!

Harold B. Lee

Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.14seconds. Snitz Forums 2000